Talked With Captain Larry Today And He's Ready For Us CCer's To Get There!!!

LEtue

Wow, I had a great conversation today with Captain Larry and he got me all excited for our upcoming trip!

The Alaska season is starting this weekend. I absolutely can't wait to get back there :D

Wow, I had a great conversation today with Captain Larry and he got me all excited for our upcoming trip!

The Alaska season is starting this weekend. I absolutely can't wait to get back there :D

Do Captain Larry's boats provide free loaner binoculars (high quality ones?) for everyone on board? We are a group of 7 people. We have two pair of our own. We need another few pairs so every one in the group can enjoy the trip.

I heard Alaska Marine Adventure provide high quality binocular for everyone on their tour. But it seems their boat is too small to accomodate us. In addition, some members in our group are worried about going with small boat.

Thanks for the help.

no, no binoculars...be hard to supply them for 3 boats. cancan only takes 6..he can watch to make sure they stay on the boat. the one thing ocra does have is a viewing area above the cabin...hubby won't let me up there (i fall down a LOT!!). but it's a nice view, nothing to get in the way.

we were close enough to smell the fish on their spouts!!

We'll be with Capt Larry on May 23rd!! I'll post LOTS of pictures and a full review here! Taking my 69 year old mother and I'm an avid photographer...so review should be good! Stay tuned!:D

Do Captain Larry's boats provide free loaner binoculars (high quality ones?) for everyone on board? We are a group of 7 people. We have two pair of our own. We need another few pairs so every one in the group can enjoy the trip.

I heard Alaska Marine Adventure provide high quality binocular for everyone on their tour. But it seems their boat is too small to accomodate us. In addition, some members in our group are worried about going with small boat.

Thanks for the help.

Actually we do have buinoculars onboard for most passengers. Not quite enough for every one but all of our boats are equipped. I hope we can be close enough you do not need them.

Capt. Larry

Thanks for the help.

I would suggest to bring your own binoculars to the cruise trip. There are more wildlife to see than just whale watching itself. With you own, you can use it during the whale watching tour, as well as the on the ship. We saw many humpback whales in Hawaii this winter from ship and on shore.

WOOHOO!! We are sailing with Capt Larry on May 30th! I can not wait!! My kids are DYING to see the wildlife!!

And I am DYING to take pictures!

Hey Sake Dad... what photo tips/ camera equipment do you suggest for Alaska? I was thinking that I would bring my 28-100 lens as well as my 100-300mm, but will that be enough?

Thanks!

WOOHOO!! We are sailing with Capt Larry on May 30th! I can not wait!! My kids are DYING to see the wildlife!!

And I am DYING to take pictures!

Hey Sake Dad... what photo tips/ camera equipment do you suggest for Alaska? I was thinking that I would bring my 28-100 lens as well as my 100-300mm, but will that be enough?

Thanks!

telephoto lens will be very useful. I found my 100-400mm L lens is still too weak in front of Alaska. Well, unless you takes on some 1.4x or 2x extender, you will always feel overpowered. So, 100-300mm is much, much better than none at all. 28-100mm is good for full frame SLR or dSLR. But the wide angle might not be enough for dSLR with cropping factor of 1.6.

Here is my line-up: 17-40mm F4/L, 28-105mm F3.5-4.5, 100-400mm F/4.5-5.6

• 2 weeks later...

After lots of debating I just booked Captain Larry's this afternoon. We have been to Alaska 1 times previous with HAL and have always booked thru the ship and went with Allen Marine. We have always been very pleased but was interested in a bit smaller crowd and a guide that was possibly more knowlegable. I plan to bring my lap top and be reporting "Live" so I will be doing a comparison. We were just in Alaska last May. We are very much looking forward to this excursion with Captain Larry:)

After lots of debating I just booked Captain Larry's this afternoon. We have been to Alaska 1 times previous with HAL and have always booked thru the ship and went with Allen Marine. We have always been very pleased but was interested in a bit smaller crowd and a guide that was possibly more knowlegable. I plan to bring my lap top and be reporting "Live" so I will be doing a comparison. We were just in Alaska last May. We are very much looking forward to this excursion with Captain Larry:)

Copy cat:rolleyes: Just kidding! I can't wait to tell you all about the Capt Larry trip. Too bad I won't be back in Vegas until July 2!! But I will be here all of July to show you the pics as well as what I post online in my review. Of course, you would have already gone by then too!! Guess we'll have a party to COMPARE pictures and tales!

See you next week Capt Larry!:D

Will be going with Orca next week, but apparently Capt. Larry isn't going to be piloting the ship. Someone else is. I'm sure whoever it is will be fine though. I'm just praying for nice weather. I'm a SLR newb so I'd prefer not to also have to deal with bad lighting and weather in addition to everything else.

Set to go with Captain Larry next month...Woo-hoo! I think I speak for all of us who are going to Alaska when I say we are more than ready for you too! :D

Saw a question about binoculars...my question is this: how wet will we get? Is this where we need to bring our ponchos? What about my sneakers...will they be okay to wear? I am thinking I may need to keep my camera in a ziplock bag to keep it dry....

Does anyone know the answers to these questions? :confused:

if it rains, while whale watching, you are going to want to have something to protect the camera and yourself. otherwise, it will be fine.

i needed water proof, non-slip shoes...but it was raining and everything, including the ramp you walk down to get to the boat..was very wet/slip.

capt larry's boats have a big cabin, if the weather is bad..you can stay inside and be comfortable...still be able to see very well. i just would not recommend staying inside, it's like glacier viewing..you might miss something.

We went with him last year and loved the whale watch!!!

Thanks KK, we have done 2 tours with Allen Marine and while the first was excellent last years was just not up to what I thought it should be. I am not talking the number of sightings of whales because we all know that no one can predict that but just the skills and knowledge of the crew. These were college kids that had never been to Alaska before, while they were great kids they were not overly knowledgable. I want to see Whales with experienced crew. This will be our third trip to Alaska with both times seeing Whales. We have done at least 7 or 8 very good Whale Excursions in Hawaii and have had some great ones in Mexico as well. So I am looking for a little bit different experience.:)

their website says

Enjoy whale watching on our comfortable, mammal friendly, handicap accessible jet boats and leave the crowds behind

i know that they have a long ramp going from the parking lot to the boats. if the tide is down, the ramp gets very steep. i would call to make sure they know a wheelchair will be used. also to make sure the van they use to get from the cruise docks to auke bay can handle a wheelchair.

if you get the purple boat, it has plenty of room for the chair to move around.

Archived