? re Virgin Blue

hi all,

am now watching the Happy Hour each night (for us) at 7 PM PDT

Hi,

PDT - is that applicable to Sydney - I'm assuming it is but hoping it's not! If that's the case, that's 5 am here in Eastern United States. and I don't think I'll be getting up too many mornings to check it out. Maybe once in a while if I have a sleepless night! Is it literally for one hour? Thanks.:(

As your address is Florida, to get the happy hour flights, you need to log in between 10pm and 11pm each night. We are 14 hours in front of you down here. Just count back 14 hours from 12 noon and that is when you are able to get the specials. Good luck. :)

I am writing this at 7.46pm on Monday night and I see by my World Time clock that it is 5.46am on Monday morning in Miami.

Jennie

We are just back from our Syd to LA cruise. Pre-cruise we flew Sydney to Cairns return on Virgin Blue, we bought our seats about 3 months before our trip on the VirginBlue web site, they were cheaper than Qantas. The service was fantastic and they advertise that they are the most on-time airline in Aus.

Sydney to Cairns is only 3 hours so we didn't need a meal but they do sell sandwiches.

As your address is Florida, to get the happy hour flights, you need to log in between 10pm and 11pm each night. We are 14 hours in front of you down here. Just count back 14 hours from 12 noon and that is when you are able to get the specials. Good luck. :) I am writing this at 7.46pm on Monday night and I see by my World Time clock that it is 5.46am on Monday morning in Miami. Jennie

Thanks very much Jeannie. I was pulling my hair out at mention of UTC etc. I guess I'll have to bone up on my alphabet soup!! You said it all in a nutshell. And the timing isn't as bad as I thought. Maybe I'lll get lucky. Just missed it for tonight!

Does anyone know what type of aircraft and seat configuration V. Blue uses for their Sydney - Cairns flights?

I just booked my return flights for next February and was told that seats can not be assigned until 24 hours prior to flight.

thanks,

john

Most of Virgin Blues aircraft are 737's which have 3 x 3 in their cabins. You can check your seating assingment on the net the day before you fly. We have found that they usually do the seating in alphabetical order, so that if your surname begins at the beginning of the alphabet you are placed up the front, ours starts with an L and we are usually seated somewhere near the middle of the plane.

Jennie

Most of Virgin Blues aircraft are 737's which have 3 x 3 in their cabins. You can check your seating assingment on the net the day before you fly. We have found that they usually do the seating in alphabetical order, so that if your surname begins at the beginning of the alphabet you are placed up the front, ours starts with an L and we are usually seated somewhere near the middle of the plane.

Jennie

Don't think that is the case. My surname starts with M and I end up in Rows 2-5. I have never been placed beyond Row 9.

I try for the back (row 24 on 737-700 and Row 30 on 737-800), as this tends to be a little bit more empty than the rest of the plane. They also place kids here, but it doesn't bother me.

They also use the front and rear doors for most flights.

My experience with Virgin is that the more you pay, the better the seat you get.

During my mother's illness last year I used the (almost) full fare Virgin tickets to fly multiple times from Melbourne to Adelaide. The seats I was allocated were up the front and often with nobody in the middle seat on almost full aircraft.

This was quite different to my normal 'el-cheapo' seats on Virgin, which were often 'up the back'.

BTW, I think Virgin is a very good airline. I travel both Virgin and Qantas.

My experience with Virgin is that the more you pay, the better the seat you get.

Apart from the exit rows, how can one seat be better than another on Virgin, they're all the same? I've only ever paid the lowest fare possible and always have had row 1 (have to ask for it though) and never paid the extra for "Blue Zone"

I agree with you about the seats on VirginBlue - they are all the same 3x3 and if you are at the back of the aircraft you may be first on first off since Virgin loads/unloads from the rear and front doors at the same time.

[quote=Aussie Gal:As your address is Florida, to get the happy hour flights, you need to log in between 10pm and 11pm each night. We are 14 hours in front of you down here. Just count back 14 hours from 12 noon and that is when you are able to get the specials. Good luck. :) Jennie

Hi Jennie,

Can you give me a little more advice on the Virgin Happy Hour. Is there somewhere on the site that they actually show you what flights are on sale during the Happy Hour or is it just a case of putting in a flight you may want and see if it has a sale price? I was just on there and it seemed like the latter was the way it would work.

Also is there any indication of how far in advance you may be able to get flights on sale. I don't need flights until the beginning of October. Is it pointless looking for them on sale now, or about how far in advance should I get back to it. If anyone has any idea, let me know as to whether or not the following are good prices - I can get the flights I want now for $139 Brisbane/Cairns and $89 Melbourne/Sydney. Should I take these and run and work on other things for the next four months??! Thanks.

ShamrockFL, start checking Virgin now. I haven't worked out the way they advertise their specials. One day it will be for flights in June and the next a completely different month.

You may not have much luck with sale fares at the beginning of October as the 1st is a public holiday in a lot of states and it is school holidays for the eastern states.

There is usually a happy hour sale banner at the top of Virgin Blue's website during the sale which you can click on and then it gives a list of flights routes on sale and the date the sale fares are available.

Shamrock,

Here are the school holiday dates for Sept/Oct.

Victoria - 22 September - 7 October

N.S.W. - 29 September - 14 October

Queensland - 22 September - 7 October

As Aussiedisney has stated school holiday fares usually cost a lot more. If you can get a $89 fare between Melbourne and Sydney you are doing well. I have just gone into the website and they are around $110 one way.

Also, just click on the Happy Sale banner to see what is available.

Good luck.

Jennie

If this helps anyone. It is just after 12pm here now and Virgin Blue has its sale on. Current special is for travel 07/24 - 08/31 on various routes.

Thanks, it does help. That means I'll probably have to wait awhile to see anything on sale for Feb. 2008 (SYD - Adelaide - SYD). Saves me getting up or staying up at/until 3 AM (12PM in AEST = 3 AM Tenerife):eek:

Can you give me a little more advice on the Virgin Happy Hour. Is there somewhere on the site that they actually show you what flights are on sale during the Happy Hour or is it just a case of putting in a flight you may want and see if it has a sale price? I was just on there and it seemed like the latter was the way it would work.

Also is there any indication of how far in advance you may be able to get flights on sale. I don't need flights until the beginning of October. Is it pointless looking for them on sale now, or about how far in advance should I get back to it. If anyone has any idea, let me know as to whether or not the following are good prices - I can get the flights I want now for $139 Brisbane/Cairns and $89 Melbourne/Sydney. Should I take these and run and work on other things for the next four months??! Thanks.

it really is a patience game - you need to check everyday between 12-1pm AESTand see what is on offer - this week I picked up a cheap flights Bris-Syd for mid Feb next year

it really is a patience game - you need to check everyday between 12-1pm AESTand see what is on offer - this week I picked up a cheap flights Bris-Syd for mid Feb next year

Those $49 fares!!:eek: I logged on at 12.58pm and couldn't find a reason to travel in Feb next year. There were quite a few routes listed as well, around 12 I think!!

I have family in Syd so regularly travel down there - yes unfortunately we don't get too many of the $49 fares these days - I could only get it one way - better than nothing - used to love going down for the day!!!

For our American friends... Our fares INCLUDE all the taxes and charges except Credit Card surcharge of $2 p.p per flight. It's the law here now. Got very confusing when one airline had all inclusive pricing, while another didn't.

I've noticed that with your airlines such as Jetblue and Southwest that the prices displayed excludes taxes.

• 2 weeks later...

Also a sale from Qantas:-

Latest Qantas Red e-Deals

Seats on sale until midnight (AEST) Thursday 28 June 2007 or until sold out.

These specials are valid for travel from Tuesday 17 July until Thursday 13 September 2007 and from Tuesday 16 October until Thursday 13 December 2007 (unless specified).

Hurry - seats are limited.

Sydney to One-way from

Brisbane $98

Melbourne $105

Gold Coast $105

Adelaide $115

Hobart $139

Cairns $189

Perth $209

Canberra to One-way from

Melbourne $89

Adelaide $95

Brisbane $115

These departure cities are simply the ones that I have picked to be emailed about, so I expect there will be sale fares from other departure points as well.

Archived