Prepaid gratuities

travmagic

If you are only getting 15 cents... then you need a new investment or a financial advisor, or both.

Do you really only earn 1/10th of 1% annually on your money...? :eek:

We're talking a $140 here in tips. I prepay the tips but at about 40 days out so ok it's more like 95 cents. Some people find paying ahead and possibly keeping it off a credit card is worth it.

OK, I got it now about the port charges.

My husband says that there is a way to adjust your tips at the pursers desk, but I am not sure if that is only what percent goes to who, or if you can get a credit. I know for a fact we probably wont be in dinning room, just not our style, so we will readjust the tips to go to the the buffett folks and anyone else who works for it.

How many of you pre pay AND give cash tips on board for those who make it worth it?

It doesn't really work that way. The cruiseline already has a system in place for the employees to share in the TIPs, regardless of where you dine.

It's best just to leave the TIP's as is, on your Sail & Sign card. If you have an issue with the service ( I just can't believe you will ), just visit the Purser's desk, and they will help you out.

Here is how Carnival distributes your $10 pp/day:

$ 3.50 Per Day Stateroom Services

$ 5.50 Per Day Dining Room Services

$ 1.00 Per Day Alternative Services: distributed to other kitchen and hotel service staff

For beverage purchases (cocktails and such), 15% of the bill is automatically added to the Sail & Sign charge.

Room Service staff may be tipped as service is rendered.

.........My husband says that there is a way to adjust your tips at the pursers desk,

NOT if you prepay the tips. Once paid when you pay for your cruise, it's a done deal - no adjusting. If you do not prepay them, and they are on your ship account, THEN you could adjust them.

.... just not our style, so we will readjust the tips to go to the the buffett folks and anyone else who works for it.

The same waiters in the dining room also work in the Lido buffet area when not in the dining room. Besides, it's a moot point since you can't adjust them.

How many of you pre pay AND give cash tips on board for those who make it worth it?

I think most everybody tips a little extra during or at the end of the cruise.

But the downside is that if you receive really dreadful service there is no way to adjust the tip after it is prepaid, is that correct.

Pickle - Bless your little heart, you seem to be always looking at the downside.:D You KNOW you won't be getting "really dreadful service".....unless you're a nitpicker. Just go and enjoy, and expect everything good to happen.:)

Ahhh, is the true about irons???? What do folks do about wrinkled clothes from packing?

Many options...

1) Downy Wrinkle Release (probably the most popular)

2) There's an iron and ironing board in the laundry room you can use

3) The ship offers pressing services (probably the 2nd most popular)

4) The ship offers laundry washing services

5) Wear the clothes wrinkled... you're on a cruise... relax... :)

Wow...I hate to say this but I recently came back from my first cruise. I prepaid my gratuities but I was not aware that the room service tips were not included in that. I feel a little bad about that now, because both my dh and I went out the way to make sure our waiters and room stewards got extra for the services they rendered beyond our prepaid gratutities, but we both thought that the room service was included in that as well.

We did order room service at least 3 nights and we didn't have a clue we were supposed to tip..(because we thought it was included in prepaid gratuities)....thanks for this information. I will definitely keep this in mind for future cruises! Thanks again for the info.

I did the same and felt rotten about that afterwards. In retrospect, I wanted to tip the Camp Carnival counselors and never made it up the last day. Next cruise, I will make sure to do this.

I would like to go ahead and prepay my family's gratuities, but I can't find out where/how on Carnival's website. Can anyone please explain the procedure/process for prepaying? Thank you.

I would like to go ahead and prepay my family's gratuities, but I can't find out where/how on Carnival's website. Can anyone please explain the procedure/process for prepaying? Thank you.

When pre-paying, it's usually done when paying for the cruise. It needs to be paid when the final payment is due. With whom did you book the cruise...Carnival or outside agency?

Ahhh, is the true about irons???? What do folks do about wrinkled clothes from packing?

Wow...it's nice to know that someone actually noticed my signature line.:D Have a happy and SAFE cruise!

When pre-paying, it's usually done when paying for the cruise. It needs to be paid when the final payment is due. With whom did you book the cruise...Carnival or outside agency?

I booked directly with Carnival and have already made my final payment. Is there any way to prepay the gratuities at this point? It's no big deal if I can't. I just prefer to have one less thing to pay. Thank you for your help.

I feel fairly certain that you can contact your Carnival PVP and he/she can handle it for you. If you booked on the website, call the 800 number and anyone can pull up your account and accept payment...I think.:)

I had read that when on a 3 or 4 day cruise that they automatically requested prepayment of tips.

I've already made final payment, would I just ask my T.A. to charge the tips too?

You can make payments on carnivals website all you really need is your booking number. There is a link on the page that says "make a payment" or yes you can call the 800 number and anyone can take a payment for you. I like to make some payments just to knock down final before it comes rolling along. Gives me a chance to recover a little bit each time and so the pain isn't so great at the end. I also prepay my tips, look your going to give it to them anyway, and how much interest are you really going to make on it 3 or 5 cents. And don't forget what tips means, To Insure Proper Service, if you didn't get proper service why tip them, personally i think 15% on a cocktail is rather high, just let me give the bartender 10 bucks and get that out of the way also, and we can all move on

I had read that when on a 3 or 4 day cruise that they automatically requested prepayment of tips.

I've already made final payment, would I just ask my T.A. to charge the tips too?

i've never heard of that. i always understood pre-payment to be an option, not a directive, regardless of cruise length. automatic request or automatic tack-on? is that a new policy? where did you read it? CCL's site?

I may be wrong, but seems to me that when I took a 2 night CTN, the tips were added to the price. Three or four nighters are like any other though....added to S&S account or can be prepaid.

i've never heard of that. i always understood pre-payment to be an option, not a directive, regardless of cruise length. automatic request or automatic tack-on? is that a new policy? where did you read it? CCL's site?

I read it somewhere, perhaps in the Currents magazine.

I may be wrong, but seems to me that when I took a 2 night CTN, the tips were added to the price. Three or four nighters are like any other though....added to S&S account or can be prepaid.

Tell us more about your CTN! They've always intrigued me.

Okay, I getting confused. So people are saying room service IS included and others are saying it's NOT.

The cabin steward is the person who brings your luggage to your stateroom right? So their tip IS included....but if you order something say at 12:30 am that person's tip ISN'T included?

Archived