Ouch! Broken Ankle 6 Weeks To Sailing

ja940

My DW broke her ankle 6 weeks before we leave on 12 day Med cruise on the Brilliance. She gets the cast off the morning we leave for Barcelona. She will still need crutches. She is in very good shape.

Any tips on airports, getting around the ship and those beautiful Italian cities.

The problem she will have is not being able to go to physical therapy to regain movement in the leg after being encased in a cast for so long. She will be stiff and have much less movement than she is used to. I would recommend going slowly, not overdoing her walking and not taking overly long excursions. As a disabled person for all my life, I would also recommend looking into taking private tours as much as possible. While European cities have tried to come into the modern era with regards to person's with disabilities, they still have a lot to do. She must be very careful walking, as cobblestones are abundant and can cause havoc for those with weak ankles and legs. Make sure she's looking down when walking, so as to not miss a step or a poorly maintained walkway. You might want to keep a wheelchair as a backup plan for her, should she realize she's not fully able to walk comfortably.

she may or may not need a wheel chair. I am not totally in agreement with the others. Broken bones can heel faster than some realize, but of course she will not have full use of her ankle. Number 1-make sure she moves around on the airplane. That will be the most important thing. Even without the heeling of the ankle it is important to walk around every few hours. Drink lots of fluids but not acohol while flying. Have her keep her feet elevated as much as possible, both on the plane and when sitting on the ship. You may be surprised how well she will get along. Yes, she will be limited to how much she can enjoy on land tours. It may be best to stick with the boring bus tours.

NMnita

So sorry to hear this.

You may want to arrange to rent a wheel chair before you leave home. That way she will also be able to get around the airports and not have to worry about rushing and maybe re-injuring the ankle.

Might also talk to the physical trainer once on board and see what kind of exercises he would recommend whenever you all are not on tours.

I was in an auto accident a week before a cruise - luckily no broken bones but bad sprains and bruising. Our TA notified the airlines and cruiseline and they made arrangements for wheelchairs to get around at the airport and at the cruise terminal.

For shore excursions - either book private, or choose the ones from the cruiseline that don't involve a lot of walking.

I once boarded a ship out of a European port when I had an arm in a cast.

I was travelling alone. I found that everywhere I went, (by coach, train, and plane, in addition to the ship) people were very willing to help out with luggage and other ways.

I flew into and out of several airports, and I was fast-tracked to the head of the security lines at each, except at LAX, where they even pulled me aside to test my cast for explosive residue and scanned my cast for hidden weapons :eek:

actually in summer 2002 we had a caribbean cruise planned for me, the girlfriend her brother and her parents. a little less than a month before we we scheduled to go, her brother broke his ankle pretty severely. needless to say, we didnt get to the caribbean until january the following year. when u get that close and have to reschedule for 7 months later, it hurts. at least ur still going:)

My DW broke her ankle 6 weeks before we leave on 12 day Med cruise on the Brilliance. She gets the cast off the morning we leave for Barcelona. She will still need crutches. She is in very good shape.

Any tips on airports, getting around the ship and those beautiful Italian cities.

What a shame, that is such a port intensive cruise and it will be hard on her. I am mobility impared and took the bus tours so I could see the various ports, but the stairs on their modern buses are very steep and it was all I could do to pull myself up into the bus.

So, if you can arrange private drivers she will be better off.

Thanks to all of you for you insight and suggestions.

Do anyone know if RCI will allow us to use or rent a wheelchair for both the ship and the ports.

If not any suggestions on an inexpensive light weight wheelchair that we can bring with us for the airports, ship and ports?

Hi ja940,

This was posted on the Princess board by Stevesan:

I purchased a transporter chair for $175. It was very handy for temporary use, folds up nicely and is airline friendly. Much less bulky than the standard type. Although we didn't go cruising due of the lack of proper medical care, the transporter chair was perfect for long and short trips alike. It would work well on board a ship.

Maybe it would work for you and DW!

Thanks to all of you for you insight and suggestions.

Do anyone know if RCI will allow us to use or rent a wheelchair for both the ship and the ports.

If not any suggestions on an inexpensive light weight wheelchair that we can bring with us for the airports, ship and ports?

Try www.spinlife.com they have a number of transport wheelchairs for reasonable prices or google "transport wheelchairs" and you'll get lots of sites.

We have one for my husband who has multiple health problems, as a result he tires very easily. We have taken ours through airports(you can take it on the plane with you) and used it on several trips....lightweight, folds easily, generally makes traveling much easier for him. If you get a transport chair get one with the 12 inch rear wheels rather than the smaller ones, the larger ones are much easier to maneuver. Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

1827cruise - thanks for the suggestion. Do these transport wheelchairs fold up? Can you carry them in a case or something else when it's not being used? If we're off the ship for the day I think we'll use the transport chair and also take her crutches so she can get into some smaller spots.

What do you think?

Definately go with the wheelchair. Crutches with rubber pads and wet decks are a dangerous combo. I was unfortunate to break my ankle during the winter and had to use them in the snow at college. People tracking snow inside the buildings made for wet floors. The first time I used crutches on wet linoleum the right crutch unexpectedly slipped big time. When your standing on one foot and start to fall, your first instinct is to place both feet down for balance-rather quickly. In effect I slammed my cast onto the floor. That hurt more than the original break.-Ouch!

T

I would not buy a transporter chair with 4 small wheels. I would get an ultra lightweight regular wheelchair. The transporters do not do good on cobblestones which are prevailent on the cruise you plan to take. The transporter chairs are also difficult on carpets which the cruise line have lots of.

You can rent a chair from Care Vactions or Scoot Around. Just close up the word and add dot com for web sites. Ship do not allow you to take their chairs off the ship in most cases and they are heavy and in poor repair.

1827cruise - thanks for the suggestion. Do these transport wheelchairs fold up? Can you carry them in a case or something else when it's not being used? If we're off the ship for the day I think we'll use the transport chair and also take her crutches so she can get into some smaller spots.

What do you think?

Our transport chair weighs about 25 lbs, you just pull the seat up in the middle and the chair ends up being about 10-12 inches wide. The seat back also folds down and it has hand brakes(as well as the standard brake on the rear wheels) which makes it nice for the person pushing it when you're going down a slope.It doesn't have a case. To give you an idea of how big it is, we can put in the trunk of our 2006 Mustang convertible and still have room to pack a couple of duffle bags as well as smaller odds and ends. I think the name of the chair has the word comet in the name and we paid $239 including shipping from spinlife.com. Hope this helps.:)

Can she get a walking cast? On our last cruise a friend had one that she used when she felt she had to. She usually didn't wear it when walking around the ship unless her ankle was bothering her. She used it whenever she left the ship. She learned quickly when she would need it and when she wouldn't.

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"]I tore my Achilles Tendon last summer and had a fall cruise to the Med. booked. (I have broken an ankle in the past, and this was even worse pain wise) I went to Europe with crutches and a flexible cast on my leg. I also took a chair cane for days when I wasn't in as much pain.

For the muster drill, I did not have to go by the stairs, but was taken by ship personel on the elevator...and when traveling via plane I got wheelchair and mobile transport through the airports. This is very important if you have to change planes in Europe. Be sure they meet you with one of the electric carts because the distance from gates can be huge and you have to go through passport control again.

I did have a special inspection of my leg when going through the security in the airports....looking for hidden explosivesJust call your airline ahead of time and tell them you will need handicap asssistance.

On the ship, my room steward brought me ice packs to ice down my leg, and I was able to get around just fine. Not exactly what I had planned, but I did have a wonderful time sightseeing and enjoyed everything. I just took a lot of Advil and used ice

Good luck, and have fun!!

From all your suggestions and the lack of help we have gotten used to in European airports I think we'll buy a transport chair, use it in the airport, have them check it on the Jetway and have my wife use crutches on the plane. Delta says that they will have it waiting on the Jetway at our connecting flight as well as on arrival in Barcelona.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me the model they suggest to use for travel, the ship, and in ports.

Thanks!

From all your suggestions and the lack of help we have gotten used to in European airports I think we'll buy a transport chair, use it in the airport, have them check it on the Jetway and have my wife use crutches on the plane. Delta says that they will have it waiting on the Jetway at our connecting flight as well as on arrival in Barcelona.

I'd appreciate it if anyone can give me the model they suggest to use for travel, the ship, and in ports.

Thanks!

http://spinlife.com/critpath/match.cfm?categoryID=5 this is the page for transport chairs. The one we have is the Comet330, we have taken it through airports and on planes several times with no problems. We plan on taking it when we cruise in November also. Hope this is what you need and that you have a wonderful time on your cruise!

1827crusie - We are looking at the Invacare on the same page as you listed. This will hopefully be a throw away chair for us. Do you see much advantage in the Comet330?

1827crusie - We are looking at the Invacare on the same page as you listed. This will hopefully be a throw away chair for us. Do you see much advantage in the Comet330?

I'm not sure which Invacare you're talking about, there is one with all 4 wheels the same size and one that has the larger rear wheels, which is a little more $$. I personally would get the one with the larger rear wheels because they are much easier to maneuver on bumpy areas. The main advantage to the Comet330 is that the large rear wheels on it are solid and you don't have to worry about them losing air, but on the other hand I don't know how prone the air-filled tires are to losing air. Since this would be a one-trip use for you though, you might be able to get away with the Invacare with the air-filled tires...I guess you could take a mini bicycle pump just in case, or you could just go with the cheaper one with the 4 small tires and hope that where you will be off the ship isn't too rough. Those are just my thoughts about it:)

P.S. I do have an idea regardless of which one you end up getting, when you're done with it you could donate it to an assisted living facility, I know from the experience of my FIL's time there that they always need wheelchairs to take residents to and from their rooms to the dining room. Just a suggestion, mind you;)

1827cruise thanks.

Anyone travel through the airports with pins and plates in their body? What happens in the metal detector?

Sometimes it sets off the metal detector and then you have to tell them you have the implants and then they hand scan you. When I had my metal brace on they used some kind of cotton like swabs to test for explosives. I had to go and sit in a separate area while they did more tests on my leg.

Archived