Just back from Victory - Halifax - Review!

TrinaLC

Just got back from Victory New York – Halifax August 5-8. Had a wonderful trip, except that the weather on the first day at Sea was horrible – cold and pouring rain. Thankfully, the rain broke shortly after we arrived in Halifax and although the day was overcast and a bit on the chilly side, we were able to do everything we had planned on. The return day at sea fortunately was beautiful and sunny, though extremely windy and therefore quite chilly. Everyone was so glad to see the sun that it really didn’t bother us!

Quick report. We arrived at noon, walked right on. I think they had allowed embarkation as early as 11:30. The ship is in good shape, I like the green colors and the motifs. The food was really very good. Not to be missed are the Reuben sandwiches served from the deli in the Mediterranean lounge! Sublime! (And I’m a NYer, so this isn’t faint praise!) Also, the smoked salmon available in the dining room, room service and the Deli is awesome.

We were in cabin 7422, which is the 9A wrap-around deck. The cabin is slightly smaller, but the deck is absolutely fabulous. Also, the cabin is much lighter, with 2 large picture windows, and the door to the deck. 7422 is on the Empress Deck, which is great because it is sandwiched between other cabins – no noise from night club, or Lido deck, yet it is a quick ride or walk up to the Lido deck.

Fellow pax were for the most part well behaved. No real problems with smokers and, surprisingly, there weren’t that many kids/teens. Staff was extremely efficient, professional, and friendly. We didn't do any of the shows, so can't comment on quality or whether teens were taking over the venues.

Tip on changing dining times: The "official" word is to go to the Atlantic dining room at 2:30 if you need to switch. We got there at 2:15 and there were probably 40 people ahead of us, and clearly they started much earlier. My advice, is to get a good spot for lunch, and then you and your fellow pax trade off every 15 minutes or so to see when they start taking changes. Also, take comfort in the fact that our cruise was booked solid, and yet they had no problem accomodating all the changes while we were there anyways.

Debarkation was smooth. We sailed past the Statue of Liberty around 6:00 a.m., were in dock around 6:30 a.m., cleared to disembark around 8:30 and, unfortunately, was back in my office in NYC by 9:00 a.m.! Taxi tip: Do not get in the taxi line – it looked to be hours. Go to street level, cross the highway, go one block east (I think it is 12th Ave.). Cross to the north bound side – most of the cabs heading south are in use, taking folks down to Wall Street. Hailing a cab going north was a breeze.

So, except for the weather, no complaints! Had a great time.

Actually, I do have one gripe, and it applies to Carnival generally, not just the Victory – Why do they have to call Pax for settling with pursar on the loud speaker? I can understand the last evening, or the morning of arrival, but on other days can’t they just send a note to the person’s cabin?

We are cruising on the 7nt on 9/25 - sounds like we should have a great We are going to be picked up by a family member - did there seem to be congestion there too?

Did you do have them bring your bags off the ship for you or did you do the self disembarkation?

How much did you tip the porters (I think that is what they are called) when they first helped you with your bags at check-in?

We self disembarked around 8:30 a.m. Tip, go to the second floor aft (not completely aft, but aft plus one elevator) for the quickest.

I think it should not be too bad to be picked up by a relative, but can't say for sure. I would try and use cell phones to communicate when you are heading out.

Standard for the porters is 2 bucks/bag. I would definetely do that rather then schlep the bags on board, unless I was embarking after 1:30 in which case if they were not to heavy I would consider bringing with me.

Archived