Strange question - anyone wear contacts on excursions?

I've been wearing contacts for years, and I usually wear them to the beach. I've never really had any trouble with getting sand in them. However, if I am going to be swimming, I never wear them. There is nothing worse then getting them stuck to your eyes! Since you're new to contacts, I would bring along your contact case with solution just in case. You can always take them out.

I would definitely take them out. Even the smallest splash can stick them to your eyes. Plus, with contacts, you are more likely to get eye infections, so make sure you always wash your hands before taking them out! Like I said though, if you don't plan on swimming, I think you should be fine, just bring along your case if you change your mind.:)

I've been wearing contacts for 18 years and I ONLY take them out to sleep. Blind as a bat without them. :rolleyes: I wear them swimming but I don't go under a ton. They get irritated. I have done a lot of active excursions with them in though, including snorkeling.

But, since you're new to wearing them, I would do as the previous poster said and bring along a case and a travel size of solution just in case.

Thank you all for your help... we are going tubing, so i figured i would be pretty safe there, no underwater. Then we are going to the beach and i plan on going in the water.... i will most likely take the contacts out there, i just know i'll get that sea water in them for sure.

Thank you all for your help... we are going tubing, so i figured i would be pretty safe there, no underwater. Then we are going to the beach and i plan on going in the water.... i will most likely take the contacts out there, i just know i'll get that sea water in them for sure.

Ask your doctor.

I've been wearing contacts for 18 years and I ONLY take them out to sleep. Blind as a bat without them. :rolleyes: I wear them swimming but I don't go under a ton. They get irritated. I have done a lot of active excursions with them in though, including snorkeling.

But, since you're new to wearing them, I would do as the previous poster said and bring along a case and a travel size of solution just in case.

Me too!

Can't see 2 feet in front of me if I take them out. I only take them out to sleep. I wear them in my backyard pool, and I wear them at the beach, and I wear them snorkeling. Never had any rpblems. Be prepared just in case, just remember you can't rub that sand out of your eyes!

sounds like i have ya'all beat, i have been wearing contacts since 1964.

the only thing i don't do is really swim in them...head underwater, big waves. etc. just don't want to worry about losing them. (takes me 3 weeks after i order them...very strong)

floating around, dog paddling, wading...all good. i even have a swim stroke that keeps my head above the water. i grew up in the desert, sand in the wind. don't try to rub the sand out, just let your eyes blink. if that doesn't work, take them out..rinse them..go from there. if i am around the ocean with big waves, the type of knock you off your feet, i don't wear them.

had some extra money a few months ago, loaded up with several packs of weekly contacts. i AM going to enjoy the water next trip!!

Hubby did that 3 years ago, the only thing is the lost "near" vision. at our age we don't have it naturally. he has done really well, great to see him without glasses. but he didn't wear contacts well. i do really well with contacts...plus i need my near vision. (i have a lot of near vision just no far vision) i don't want to retired then not be able to do details on my crafts.

if and when i can't wear contacts i will have the surgery. the newer contacts are great, when i 1st started they were glass.

But did wear them on all of our excursions, including to several beaches, doing Dunn's River Falls in Jamaica and while snorkeling, without incident. I just carried a case with solution in it, my glasses and prescription sunglasses in my backpack "just in case". :)

I'm with RIGirl. I'm blind as a freaking bat without them and refuse to wear my glasses outside of the house (they are house glasses). I exercise, swim, do waverunning, and anything else you can name in my contacts.

Have a great time!

My mom had lasik several years ago, and while she's thrilled with it, and doesn't need glasses anymore, she experienced a reaction that the doctor said only occurs in "white women over 40". She has slight problems driving in the dark.

I wear them swimming, but don't open my eyes under water. I wear them with goggles or a mask and then I can open my eyes under water. I know one guy who was a lifeguard and would open his eyes under water with them. I did it once by accident and it was fine, but I would be too afraid of losing one. I am planning river tubing in Ocho and I will wear them. I also have some prescription goggles for swimming, but I hardly ever wear them. As soon as I take them off, I am blind again.

• 1 month later...

I wear contacts and never swim unless I wear my googles or swim mask. I'm not going to take the chance of lossing my contacts or getting a eye infection. I feel confident when I swim with my googles. However, I'm going to get lasik surgery in the new future also.

same here, i've been in mine for years and never take mine out either. I dont like opening my eyes underwater anyways, but I just use a snorkel mask and have no probs. we carry travel saline no matter what, because the stupid things dry out sometimes and you blink until you think you are going to go nuts

I've also never in my life had an eye infection

Archived