Is the AKRR late very often?

tbenson81

We booked a National Park Cruise in Seward that beings at 11:30am and the train is supposed to get to seward at 11:05am

Is this cutting it too close.....is the train late very often?

Thanks!

Tony

If you're taking the Kenai Fjords Nat'l park cruise (http://www.kenaifjords.com), I asked that very question of them, and they indicated that if they know they have people coming on that train, they'll wait for it if it's delayed (they are, after all, picking you up at the station). I'm sure if it's REALLY late they'll just go, but I didn't get the impression that that's a real concern. She also said they'd take us to the ship afterwards if we wanted.

Some operators are waiting at the depot for the train arrival to shuttle. So, unless significantly late, you should be fine. This is a long established link between the two, with many people on the train doing the 11:30am trip.

Last year we were about 10 minutes arriving into Whittier from Anchorage. The train conductor assured us that the tour operators are aware of the train schedules and told us we had nothing to worry about.

Hey Dan, Funny running across you in the Alaska boards. Are you planning a trip up north? I'm back on the Radiance, leaving on May 18th. I just love that ship! Cindy

Hey there! Your avatar looks like one of my kitties. :) Yeah, I'm sailing Legend in the Med while you're on Radiance, and then sailing Radiance south from Seward in August - I'll expect a report on her condition! :)

Dan, How cool, if I hadn't already booked Alaska I would have snapped up the bargin transatlantic that left a couple of weeks ago. Europe is high on my list so I can't wait to hear about your trip. I'll fill you in on Alaska when I get back. Bon Voyage, Cindy

Thanks everyone - we booked with Renown. Anyone know if they pick up at the station? I was under the impression we would have to walk.....

We're booked with Renown too.

I contacted them by e-mail yesterday and they replied today that they would meet us at the station. I suggest you e-mail them too and confirm that they will do the same for you.

Sometimes the train is late getting in but the tour operators wait as they get alot of passengers off it. You can hear the train whistle blow 10 minutes before it gets to the depot. :) I suggest walking the two blocks over to the small boat harbor. It's much faster than waiting for everyone to load and unload on the buses. Beat the bus crowd! All the tour operators are lined in a row in buildings with their name on it so they are easy to find. Have fun and cross your fingers for a nice day.

Archived