NCL Rewards Card

jbarboza4

I just applied for a NCL Mastercard. Has anyone actually been able to earn enough rewards for a vacation? Right now I have an AMEX card with sky miles but the blackout dates a ridiculous. Looking for a worthwhile rewards program.

I just received a $3000 credit for our Hawaii vacation with the lattitudes card. I have used it twice previously for $2000 off cruises. It is a great rebate card since it gives you 3 points for every dollar.

Greg

I just got my card a few months ago and have been racking up those points!:D

I believe it gives you 3 points for every 100 dollars, which adds up to a significant cruise discount very quickly--much more quickly than the other cruise rewards cards that I was considering. If you use the card for NCL purchases (as we did on our last cruise) you get 4 points for every 100 dollars spent on NCL.

One tip, I wouldn't waste your points on the "upgrade" rewards, which can cost as little as $20 per person per category if you simply paid for the upgrade. The minimum reward I would go for would be the $500 off certificate for 500 points.

We used to use the air miles-type credit card, but realized that the cash value of the cruise benefits would be much higher than that of the air travel, at least in our case.

Have had the card for a few months now. I'm also a little confused on how it works....have read all the small print ... maybe that's why I'm confused.

Do we get a $500 certificate when we have accumulated 500 points?

I'm of the generation that doesn't like to use credit cards ... so using it is hard to do ... even for the rewards. My son is trying to educate me in the ways of getting free stuff (he and his wife have flown to europe free for the last four years by using a miles card, so I guess he knows the ropes) ... and not go into debt!

I put our next NCL cruise deposit on the card and will make the final payment on it ...

AnyWHO ... please help me in my confusion!!

Thanks~

NCL Rewards are very easy to use. We have used $2000 on each of our past three cruises. There are no blackout dates. Just find the best deal you can on a cruise fare and after the initial deposit use the points to pay for the rest.

All you have to do is book your cruise through NCL or any travel agent or internet site. Make your deposit and use your certificates like cash.

You have to order the certificates in increments of $500 from MBNA. They are usually sent out in about a week. Once you have the certificates, simply send them to NCL directly or through your travel agent and your account will be credited.

Certificates are only good for one year after they are redeemed from MBNA, so I don't ususally ask for them till I within about 6 weeks of my final payment due date.

I've been using reward points for five years (previously it was Visa with another bank). I have never had a problem and I even got a credit on my mastercard when one of my $500 certificates resulted in an overpayment.

I charge everything I can to accumulate points; food, my electric bill, even my taxes and pay the whole balance every month. The trick is to never pay interest, because the interest on these cards is not low. You could easily pay more in interest than you would save on a booking if you do not pay the entire bill each month.

I think the reward card is great.

CSM

CSM

The last time I called in for my certificates it took almost 2 months to get them. I don't think I'd wait again until the last 6 weeks before asking for them.

Also, the rules seem to have changed regarding the certificates and the down payment. Previously, I was with you (in that the certificated couldn't be used for the down payment). Recently I looked up the rules (on line) and it says they cannot be used retroactively against the down payment. Sounds like you can make the downpayment with certificates, BUT you would need to have the certificates at the time you book the cruise.

-Monte

I had one of the cruise line's credit cards and had a bad experience with it.

We got the card, charged the tickets (1200.00)

DId not get to use the points cause the card was not paid off. YOu earn when you pay, not when you spend!

So, paid the card off before the trip.....

Had to wait 2-3 weeks for them to process the points......

OK called in to order something using the points....

Oh, can not order this late, have to order at least 3 weeks to a month before departure.....

Then when you do order, they give you this really really long number...like 25 digits long, then you have to call the cruise line(separate company from the CC).. And give them the long number only to hear some excuse as to why you can not use it.

Just READ the fine Print

Oh yea, after you get this really long number, you have to wait 36 hours for it to go into effect.

I had one of the cruise line's credit cards and had a bad experience with it.

We got the card, charged the tickets (1200.00)

DId not get to use the points cause the card was not paid off. YOu earn when you pay, not when you spend!

So, paid the card off before the trip.....

Had to wait 2-3 weeks for them to process the points......

OK called in to order something using the points....

Oh, can not order this late, have to order at least 3 weeks to a month before departure.....

Then when you do order, they give you this really really long number...like 25 digits long, then you have to call the cruise line(separate company from the CC).. And give them the long number only to hear some excuse as to why you can not use it.

Just READ the fine Print

Oh yea, after you get this really long number, you have to wait 36 hours for it to go into effect.

And thats why I use the NCL card. Non of that BS. Book, call get the voucher, send it in, cruise paid for.

Arkansasfish,

I noticed a lot of small print with other cards, as well, and I thought the "reward" levels were not as good as pure cash off the price of your cruise.

After getting a lot of help/info from CC posters, I went with the NCL MBNA card. I have yet to redeem points for any money off a cruise, but am accumulating points at an alarming:eek: rate. (Vacations have a way of running up some hefty numbers on that credit card, don't they!;) . )

Arkansasfish,

I noticed a lot of small print with other cards, as well, and I thought the "reward" levels were not as good as pure cash off the price of your cruise.

After getting a lot of help/info from CC posters, I went with the NCL MBNA card. I have yet to redeem points for any money off a cruise, but am accumulating points at an alarming:eek: rate. (Vacations have a way of running up some hefty numbers on that credit card, don't they!;) . )

College can run it up faster. Even though I had the money I ran my sons tuition thru the card. I have to wait until October to start earning more points. It is not hard to exceed the $1000 per year max. on the points.

This is truly a great deal. One bit of advise that might save you some time is do not try to go thru MBNA to pay your bills online for extra points. The companies have to be "In Network" to qualify and there are actually only two that do. Just talked to a customer service rep today and this is what I was told. Instead go thru your telephone company, internet service, newspaper subscription, etc. and set it up thru them. My understanding is that other credit card payments or bank payments will not qualify either. Still a great card! Anything you can pay with a credit card applies. It does seem that some areas (more populated) may have a few more options than the more rural areas. Hope this helps!

I wanted to apply for the card but Canadian citizen cannot get it... why??? I mean, I'm paying US dollars for my cruises, why can't I get their MasterCard?

Oh well...

There may be ways around this, am not sure. Of course, the card can be "used" out of the country. Perhaps there are no laws for collection out of the US...just a guess here. You might go to google and do some research on why you cannot get the card. Just may do that myself and will let you know.

It is great, have a $500 certificate sitting here ready to be mailed in with final payment for the next cruise. Using the card for gas purchases today really makes the points add up fast :D , especially since my DH commutes 50 minutes each way to work every day. I also have a friend who uses at least one certificate every year. :)

Remember, in general, it's a 3% "rebate" (purchases from NCL are 4%-I believe). There is an annual limit to how much you can earn. You get the certificates when you request them, but the points do expire (3 yrs?-someone help me on that). And the certificates are good for one year after issued. But say you had the certificate for close to a year, you could apply it to a future cruise. The lowest amount that you can redeem for $ off is 500 points and that equals $500 off.

I don't really keep track of the amounts for upgrades. I looked at them once and decided I'd just take the cash amounts. My cruise to Caribbean this December for 4 of us in a balcony cabin is only about $1400 out of my pocket (plus tips and whatever I elect to spend). I used 2 $500 certificates. In my opinion, not a bad deal at all.

-Monte

We got our NCL Card in April 2003. June 2004 we cashed in 2 - $500 certificates. We always book insides so our December Cruise (Majesty) is costing about $100 out of pocket for the cruise/port charge/ insurance.

From mbisson:

Recently I looked up the rules (on line) and it says they cannot be used retroactively against the down payment.

When we decided to use the points I called our TA (an unnamed online agency with telephone support :D ) and asked if we could use the certificates. She checked and said "No problem". We liked the price at the time and I asked about booking now and using the certificates when they arrived. Answer: "No problem". We booked (using our NCL card of course) and called MNBA.

The certificates were issued to us. We forwarded them to the TA. The following month we received a credit on the card. Maybe we were able to do this because they knew in advance of the certificates coming.

By the way, MNBA said about 8 weeks for delivery. They arrived in 2 weeks.

I have what is probably a really dumb question. I received an application from NCL for a an NCL mastercard. Is this what everyone is referring to?

The terms are that you earn 4 bonus points for NCL purchases and 3 points for everything else. We have enough credit cards that I've been hesitant to sign up, but if it works this well maybe I'll cancel one of the others and replace it with this.

Sounds right. MBNA is the bank. For us the perks of the NCL Card are the best of all the rebate cards available. We have one other card that we use every 4-5 months just to keep it active. Neither has an annual fee and we pay at the end of the month. It's like found money.

utefan-yes that's the card

98Charlie-Others have reported exactly what you say, BUT, just as a warning, those aren't the terms that they give with the card, so there is a chance they could start enforcing the rules and decline them in those instances.

-Monte

Archived