NCL Rewards Card

jbarboza4

We just received our cards 2 weeks ago. It has the picture of the Dawn on it. I guess we are really cruise junkies. I showed my new card around the office to other people who cruise. I think I must be nuts!!!!!!!!!
Jeanne

Jeannep...I guess we cruise folks are all a little nuts. My card is also new and I immediately showed it to a group of my coworkers. "Isn't it pretty?" I actually heard myself say, "that's a picture of our next ship..." Some people walk around with baby pictures, I walk around with the Norwegian Dawn ;)

I think you have all sold me on the idea of the NCL credit card. I have an airline credit card right now and have been looking for a new rewards card. This sounds like a great one.

Can someone explain to me exactly how it works as far as sending in your voucher before final payment. Do you need to pay the initial deposit out of your own pocket, or can you use the voucher for the entire bill?

Thanks,
Christie

Vouchers can be used for the entire payment. As noted above the official policy is that once you have paid with your credit card you cannot get a refund by using the voucher.

My experience was different. But, I had told the TA I wanted to use the vouchers and she checked before we actually booked. She said no problem reserving with the Credit Card and sending in the vouchers after.

We have used the compass rewards certificates for three cruises. Each time I paid for the deposit using the credit card and then sent in the vouchers. The deposit was refunded later when NCL received the vouchers.

The program booklet rules state on page 4 paragraph 6 "Using Reward Certificates: Certificates may not be used either retroactively OR to pay the cost of cruise-related travel deposits."

We have found this to mean that you can't go on your cruise and then decide to pay for it later with certificates (retroactively) and neither can you use the certificates as a "deposit". You can't say to your TA..."Here's a $500 certificate, use it as my deposit". The actual deposit must be either cash, check or credit card. However, when your certificates are received and processed by NCl, the deposit is refunded to you.

By the way, is there any downside to this card? Who dreamed up this idea? Everybody is happy....MBNA, NCL, cruise addicts! Is this a great country or what!

I cut and pasted this from the terms and conditions on the MBNA web site

" Certificate may not be used retroactively or to pay the cost of a cruise deposit."

Complete current terms are at the page for applying for the card
[url]https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/USapp/Ctl/redirect?CV_sourceCode=K6EH&CV_MC=A0000012IU[/url]

This is even slightly different than it was a couple weeks ago. Note that it is specific that the certificate may not be used to pay the deposit (but again-this is a rule they don't seem to enforce)

-Monte

I have had the card for about a year now. I have a question that I haven't had answered yet. Maybe one of you seasoned cruises using your points from this card can answer my question.

I always book a balcony or suite on a cruise where possible. When I read the fine print on the terms of the card I got the impression that the point certificates can be applied only to inside or outside staterooms.

Anyone have further information about this.

Thanks

[quote name='marilynd']I have had the card for about a year now. I have a question that I haven't had answered yet. Maybe one of you seasoned cruises using your points from this card can answer my question.

I always book a balcony or suite on a cruise where possible. When I read the fine print on the terms of the card I got the impression that the point certificates can be applied only to inside or outside staterooms.

Anyone have further information about this.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I think if you re-read the fine print that is for upgades. You can't upgrade from a outside to a balcony. Something you should never use the points for unless they are about to expire. The 500/1000 point certificates can be used for any booking just like cash.

I have another question. Suppose that when I pay the final payment the amount gives me either the 500 or 1000 points. I know I can't use this to apply to the final payment, but if I got the certificates in time, would I be able to apply them to my shipboard charges? I am going on the Sun next April and I anticipate that this is what is going to happen.

Candydane I recieved my card about a week after I applied for it. Amalready using it for everything. But what I am doing is putting the cash into an envelope to pay for anything we put on it so I won't be supprised when the bill comes in. Happy shopping Pat

Marilynd: <<I have a question that I haven't had answered yet. Maybe one of you seasoned cruises using your points from this card can answer my question.

I always book a balcony or suite on a cruise where possible. When I read the fine print on the terms of the card I got the impression that the point certificates can be applied only to inside or outside staterooms.>>

We haved booked suites twice using the certificates.

BigAl: Check with your TA regarding using the certificates for shipboard charges. Some posters have reported that they have been able to do it.

[quote name='Host Cecilia']We just reached our first 500 points last month. Now we're looking for a cruise. ;)[/QUOTE]

Oh, I bet you will find something ;) if you really force yourself.

BTW-Just checked my point balance on line, & surprise-we are over 500 again. Might have to investigate booking on board in December.

-Monte

[quote name='mbisson']BTW-Just checked my point balance on line, & surprise-we are over 500 again. Might have to investigate booking on board in December.
[/QUOTE]Sure...rub it in that you're cruising in December. :p Actually, we'd like to do the Baltics again or a Med cruise and I'm not sure I'm going to find what I want with NCL. Maybe Mexican Riviera? That would be fun.

[quote name='Host Cecilia']....Actually, we'd like to do the Baltics again.....QUOTE]

Is the Dream going to continue cruising the Baltics next year? I don't see that itinerary listed for 2005 at the NCL website.

$1288 in compass rewards points and counting! And we just got off the Sun in March after using $3000 worth.

[quote name='jmcdon7230'][quote name='Host Cecilia']....Actually, we'd like to do the Baltics again.....QUOTE]

Is the Dream going to continue cruising the Baltics next year? I don't see that itinerary listed for 2005 at the NCL website.

QUOTE]

No the Dream is not returning to the Baltics next year :mad: I believe it is doing 10 and 11 day Alaska cruises.

My mortgage company doesn't take credit card payments. I guess I would be paying them more if they did because the credit card companies charge a fee to company. I do believe some of the utility companies take charges. I wish my daughters college took them but they say they are saving us money by not taking them. Funny the tuition just keeps going up. I really like their savings.

Archived