ketchikan crabs vs catchcrabs

shereemcg

debating whether to find a nice place for lunch or dinner with crabs (about $40 per person??) or do this excursion which would be about $350. Is the excursion that special?

We're already whale watching, kenai peninsula, salmon fishing!

any ideas for a place to eat? is Annabel's close by? how much crabs come in a portion?

thansk!

sheree

We just did the Wilderness Exploration & Crab feed in Ketchikan last week. All 4 of us loved it. The crab was the best I have ever had. It was interesting because that night on board the ship was crab night. So I tried both in the same day. the dungeness crab in Ketchikan was by far the sweetest and best tasting. We each got 1 whole crab, a salad, red potatoes, and then cheesecake for dessert. The boat ride out to see the crab pots was nice too. Not much wildlife, but the scenery was gorgeous. Lots of crabs in the pots for us to see and hold.

they only give you 1 crab each? my 10 yr old eats them like there's no tomorrow! that would be the reason for the excursion.

Trying to figure if the boat ride is worth the extra $200 vs going to a nice place and letting him eat to his heart's content.

shereee

Annabelle's is literally across the street from where the ship docs. There is usually a wait because it is crowded. The King Crab was excellent. If I recall it was around $40.00 for 1 lb which came with salad bread, etc. I thought it was worth it and delicious. I was last there 2 years ago. A friend who lives there said that they have changed ownership since then but I'm sure you can't go wrong with the King Crab there. YUMMMMM!

Misty:

that's what's great about cruises. my son can eat whatever he wants and as much of it! of course when we go to regular restaurants and he can't have lobster he doesn't understand! although aroun here the chinese buffets all have crab legs, he also loves sushi.

we're probably going to go to Annabell's in Ketchikan and he and I will have the king crab.

Then when we get home it's back to the real world!

sheree

they only give you 1 crab each? my 10 yr old eats them like there's no tomorrow! that would be the reason for the excursion.

Trying to figure if the boat ride is worth the extra $200 vs going to a nice place and letting him eat to his heart's content.

shereee

1 whole Dungeness crab was plenty of food for each of us. I couldn't even finish mine and gave part to my husband and brother. The salad was was good, and the baby red potatoes were great. I don't know what they seasoned them with, but I loved them. This fresh crab was definitely better than the King Crab legs we had on board for dinner that same night. I loved both crab meals, but the fresh Dungeness crab was by far the best tasting meal.

I've had both fresh and still prefer dungeness. Also, one per person is quite a bit, especially with all the trimmings. These aren't those puny east coast (blue?) crabs.

LOL

That said, I don't know that I'd be willing to pay that much.

-Monte

Archived