Disney/Cruise

Going on Mariner with very large group in July 2008 and many of the group want to do a precruise or post cruise in Disney, the precruise would be 20-27 July and post cruise would be August 3-10th. Can anybody inform of any week being better than the other with regard to crowds in the parks and weather as I have been told August is rainy season in Orlando. Can anybody help me out with this decision as I am making it for 40 other people. I know weather can change, but any info would help. Many thanks.

Actualy, the rainy season in FL starts in June for most of the state and runs into Sept. That being said, it could be pouring at Epcot and the sun will be shining at the Magic Kingdom (and vice versa). I would suspect, crowd wise, it would be about the same since schools are still out for the summer in most of the US. It will be HOT no matter what week you choose. But I believe the Magic Kingdom is open until midnight at that time of year (You can access hours through their website).

Gregg

I think that either way, Orlando is going to be miserably hot. We did this for our honeymoon last August and I can tell you that we had a blast but it is so sticky hot down there.

That being said, if you are going to do this, do Disney before the cruise. Disneyworld is great, but the cruise is fantastic. The last memories will be the ones that remain the most vivid.

Hey watch the Orlando bashing, I live here and like the weather just fine:D . Really I agree with you. The best time to visit Central Florida is March/April or Sept/Oct. Summer is very hot. We stay mostly indoors. Going to the parks is miserable that time of year. I also think you should do the parks first. It can be hectic to go from one park to the next and a relaxing cruise is a great way to end the vacation. Either way welcome to my home and bring lots of money to leave behind:p :D

I have been told August is rainy season in Orlando.

One thing about rain here in Orlando, as said by another poster, it can be raining on one side of the street and not the other (or one park and not the others) but the upside is it is very rare that the rain lasts all day. It hardly ever rains in the first part of the day - but between 3pm and 6pm there can be very nasty thunderstorms. Disney falls in a belt that tends to get them. But they move on through and in a short time the ground never even looks like it got wet. Beware - we can have 100% humidity and the sun will be shining! So it is steamy to say the least! Put Blizzard Beach on the list of things to do!

Oh yeah, it will be hot and muggy and the parks full! Lines to get into any attraction is LONG. For anyone that has not been to Disney, the waiting lines will be huge and decieving. Once thru the original entry way, Disney has mastered the way to hide hundreds of people within the holding areas. Bring a battery operated water spritzer, that helps for temporary cool down. Good luck!

I'd go after the cruise -- that way you won't be as sad when the cruise ends! I think crowds might be slightly lower in August. We go in August and always enjoy Disney at that time. But, be warned, you should be used to humidity. We have friends who are from the desert southwest and went in June. They couldn't believe the humidity and swore they'll never go in summer again.

We go to the parks in the a.m., returning to our hotel to swim and relax in the afternoon -- perhaps take a nap. Then we have a nice dinner and return to the parks for the 8 to midnight time frame. There is usually a heavy rainstorm every day at 4 p.m. (we could nearly set our watches to it!).

We seek out those ride that are indoors and air-conditioned. We avoid rides that require a lengthy wait outdoors. We spend a good amount of time at our hotel swimming and relaxing by the pool. And, we make sure to have nice (cool!) restaurant meals for lunch and dinner.

Whichever time you choose, make sure to call and make dining reservations or you may not get in to the restaurants. Also, ask to speak with the Grand Gatherings desk. Since you're a large group, you qualify to reserve certain special events -- a dessert party at Epcot during illuminations and other things. Just ask what's available.

Enjoy!

I'd go after the cruise -- that way you won't be as sad when the cruise ends! I think crowds might be slightly lower in August. We go in August and always enjoy Disney at that time. But, be warned, you should be used to humidity. We have friends who are from the desert southwest and went in June. They couldn't believe the humidity and swore they'll never go in summer again.

We go to the parks in the a.m., returning to our hotel to swim and relax in the afternoon -- perhaps take a nap. Then we have a nice dinner and return to the parks for the 8 to midnight time frame. There is usually a heavy rainstorm every day at 4 p.m. (we could nearly set our watches to it!).

We seek out those ride that are indoors and air-conditioned. We avoid rides that require a lengthy wait outdoors. We spend a good amount of time at our hotel swimming and relaxing by the pool. And, we make sure to have nice (cool!) restaurant meals for lunch and dinner.

Whichever time you choose, make sure to call and make dining reservations or you may not get in to the restaurants. Also, ask to speak with the Grand Gatherings desk. Since you're a large group, you qualify to reserve certain special events -- a dessert party at Epcot during illuminations and other things. Just ask what's available.

Enjoy!

I think that either way, Orlando is going to be miserably hot. We did this for our honeymoon last August and I can tell you that we had a blast but it is so sticky hot down there.

That being said, if you are going to do this, do Disney before the cruise. Disneyworld is great, but the cruise is fantastic. The last memories will be the ones that remain the most vivid.

I Agree!

We did a land and sea vaca through Disney a couple years back... with land portion first, and were grateful! You get exhausted doing the parks, and it is a real treat to then do the ship with much more opportunity for R & R... JMHO ;)

A~

I would do Disney before the cruise. Then you can also do your laundry before you leave on your cruise and don't have to pack as much.

I did Disney once in June, and it was just so hot. Even at 8am, the heat would hit you like a blast from a furnace. Summertime is also the most crowded time a the parks. It involves lots of waiting in the heat. Don't mean to be pessimistic but as you are making the decision, the 40 other people should be well aware of those 2 factors: hot and crowds.

We did do water parks on two days which was good but again you have to plan: the water parks get very crowded and if you don't go as early as possible the lines for the slides are LONG. We left by 1pm each time.

Epcot seems to have relatively less crowds and more air conditioned waiting than Magic Kingdom. Animal Kingdom HOT, no shade. MGM we don't always go to so I don't remember.

--Definitely-- prebook all your meals indoors for a respite from the heat, you can always cancel later and you will be extremely grateful when the time comes to sit down.

I think the answer depends on which you and your group are most looking forward to...the cruise or Disney? Do the one you are most excited about last!

If it were me I would do the cruise last, especially that time of year. Disney, while very magical, will be hot and feel crowded either time so the relaxation and break from heat and long lines on a cruise may just be the way to top off your vacation.

The laundry tip from a previous poster is also a very good tip to think about!

Enjoy your vacation...you will have a great time either way!!!

Hi Karen,

I'm not sure where you're from, but unless you've experienced it before, you REALLY CAN NOT :( understand just how hot and humid Florida will be at that time of year. We did Disney then the Mariner last summer (August 22 - Sept. 3). I swear it was drier in the middle of the sea than it was in Disney! The rain is also beyond belief (3" per day between 2:30 and 5:00) and will rob you of park time unless you plan very carefully for it.

You might also want to think about which Mariner itinerary you take. If you do Disney first you undoubtedly will be tired when you board the ship. The western itinerary only has two sea days with 4 ports in a row - quite physically taxing. The eastern schedule is a bit more relaxed. Unfortunately, the prices for either one are through the roof this summer and the Mariner seems to be filling up fast. (Got such a great deal last year that we couldn't resist, regardless of the weather conditions!)

Either way, try to have everybody get their heads in the zone before you leave so that expectations are realistic. We also highly recommend Disney's Animal Kingdom Lodge as it is a much more sedate atmosphere than any of the other Disney hotels.

Happy Sails,

Annette

It sounds like a lot of us are trying to discourage this Disney part of the trip. I think so far you've been warned about weather being hot, humid, rainy season, also it's hurricane season from June 1 to Dec. 1, which means the possibilities are higher than the rest of the year. Last year this area wasn't hit, but 2 years ago we got 3 just 2 weeks apart, so who knows. Going to Disney sounds like fun to those who have not been there, it is, but not in summer. The parks are FULL of vacationing families with screaming and tired kids who really want only to see Mickey and then retreat to a swimming pool. Also, Disney is NOT CHEAP, plan on $2.50 for an ice cream with Mickey ears on it, $2.00 for bottle of water, and that's not counting meals and hotel and park entry fees. There are other options of not staying on Disney property, but this limits going back to your room with convenience. For any smokers in your group, there's a brand new smoking ban in ALL their hotels both inside, on balconies and immediate area around the hotels. I guess I've done enough damage so will see what others think.

There is no way I personally would book anything after a cruise. You may not suffer from this, but I get sea sick the minute I get off the ship (no, not on the ship at all....only after). I hear this is quite common, and to do anything after a cruise when you are feeling that way is just no fun. Now the rides on Disney may help with that a little, but really, you will only be on rides so much.

It is because of this reason that I have scheduled my land time in Europe before my cruise, not after.

I'm glad you mentioned this! I had never noticed it before, I just thought it was taking time to get my land legs back, but this year it lasted about 2-3 days! Did not like the feeling, can't imagine trying to navigate a park feeling that way.

There is no way I personally would book anything after a cruise. You may not suffer from this, but I get sea sick the minute I get off the ship (no, not on the ship at all....only after). I hear this is quite common, and to do anything after a cruise when you are feeling that way is just no fun. Now the rides on Disney may help with that a little, but really, you will only be on rides so much.

I find theme/amusement parks to be tiring, so I would do it before so that I could relax on the ship. But honestly, there's no way I would go to Orlando during the summer. I can't even handle the heat/humidity in St. Louis during the summer and I've lived here my whole life.

With such a big group going, you're not going to please everyone. Maybe you should check hotel rates and airfare to see if one weekend is cheaper.

Thank you so much everybody for all your recommendations. I appreciate it! 90 percent of my group are from England and have never been to Disney before, so of course they are very excited. I have told them about the heat and humidity and they are ready for it. Unfortunately, we can only go in July/August as the kids do not get out of school until July 18th. I guess I will just have to go for it and hope for the best. Thank again for all your replies. They really helped.

Don't forget, Disney is 4 separate parks, the Magic Kingdom, Epcot, MGM, and Animal Kingdom. Then there's the other shoot offs like Blizzard Beach, Downtown Disney and others. Do your research on what you may wish to see and do.

Definitely Disney first, as it can be tiring. I highly recommend staying at a Disney resort in order to take advantage of Extra Magic Hours. Also, consider the Dining Plan.

I would also recommend not trying to tour Disney in a large group. Split up into smaller groups and select meeting times/places instead. It would be too difficult keeping 40 people together for touring.

In case you are not familiar with all the helpful disney-related websites, here are a few (I believe all have info for UK travelers):

http://www.allearsnet.com/ (this is a veritable treasure trove of information)

http://www.disboards.com/index.php

http://www.mousesavers.com/

Enjoy!

Archived