Ecstasy or Fantasy

My husband and I are wanting to take a family vacation on a 5 day cruise. We live in Oklahoma and are wanting to drive to the port instead of flying. The only nearby ports are Galveston and New Orleans, and the only shorter cruises are the Ecstasy out of Galveston and Fantasy out of New Orleans. I've read tons of review and they both seem about the same. I want something that the kids wont get bored with and that we will still enjoy. I know Disney is the way to go, but we were really trying to avoid that kind of price, along with the flight. We have two boys ages 7 & 9. I know the Ecstasy is an old ship but it still seems like it would be fun. Does anyone have any opinions on either of these?? Please help, we want to start planning soon for a late summer cruise or around October.

I haven't been on the Ecstasy, but I have been on the Conquest and the Fantasy. My advice would be for you to look for specials and go for a 7 day cruise on the Conquest. Based on my experience, I think the whole family would have a much better time on the bigger ship. The Fantasy is a nice ship, but it just seems that the Conquest has so much more to offer. Judging by the number of kids running around on the Fantasy and the rarely seen kids on the Conquest (even though they announced that there were 600 kids on the Conquest when we were there), I have to assume that Camp Carnival keeps them better entertained on the Conquest than on the Fantasy.

Thanks so much for responding! I hadn't even thought about the Conquest until now, and I've been reading up on it. It sounds great, I will definitely keep it in mind. I wish some people would have responded that have actually tried out the Ecstasy, especially those who have children. But I'll keep reading and maybe something will come along. Thanks again!!!

I have been on the Ecstacy and I won't sail that ship again. Way too freaky neon for us. Now others have said it has been redone so maybe it is not as bad now. Our kids were older so can't help you there. But I would agree with the others to look for a longer cruise. The shorter ones just don't seem to have as much going on:)

Thanks so much for responding! I hadn't even thought about the Conquest until now, and I've been reading up on it. It sounds great, I will definitely keep it in mind. I wish some people would have responded that have actually tried out the Ecstasy, especially those who have children. But I'll keep reading and maybe something will come along. Thanks again!!!

If you'll check this thread Monday afternoon I'll have an update about the Ecstasy posted then. 2 of my clerks just got back today from that ship and this was their first cruise. I do have to admit however that I think the suggestion of a 7 day on the Conquest would be your better value, especially since your kids are small enough to comfortably bunk in a quad room w/ 2 pull downs. I've been on the Conquest twice, it's a great ship with a fabulous Camp Carnival program.

I live in Dallas but I'm from Tulsa and I really enjoy the port in Galveston, it's easy to get to and there is plenty of parking and most of the hotels even offer shuttles and free parking for the week for cruisers who drive in on Saturday and overnight at the hotel. The Conquest departs on Sundays, and it's even and not too bad drive back to Oklahoma when the ship gets back the next Sunday. I've always been off the ship by 8am and back in Dallas by noon.

I also like the itinerary on the Conquest. There are 2 great beach resorts that are very family friendly and a great way to spend the day. The Paradise Beach in Cozumel and the Sunset Beach in Montego Bay have lots of water toys and bunches of stuff to do (or nothing at all if that's your thing)

My husband and I are wanting to take a family vacation on a 5 day cruise. We live in Oklahoma and are wanting to drive to the port instead of flying. The only nearby ports are Galveston and New Orleans, and the only shorter cruises are the Ecstasy out of Galveston and Fantasy out of New Orleans. I've read tons of review and they both seem about the same. I want something that the kids wont get bored with and that we will still enjoy. I know Disney is the way to go, but we were really trying to avoid that kind of price, along with the flight. We have two boys ages 7 & 9. I know the Ecstasy is an old ship but it still seems like it would be fun. Does anyone have any opinions on either of these?? Please help, we want to start planning soon for a late summer cruise or around October.

My family and I are going on the 6-30-07 Ecstacy out of Galveston. First time cruisers. I ran the numbers between Galveston and New Orleans and there was not much difference. We are renting a car and driving down from Oklahoma (Del City to be precise). The difference was only about $100, so considering the price of gas we are going for the shorter drive. We have three kids ages 4, 9, & 14. Hope this helps.

Thanks everyone for your replies!! I went to a travel agent yesterday and she quickly turned me off of anything out of Galveston and really put a bummer on my plans. I think she just wanted me to spend more $$ and take a cruise out of Florida but thats not what we are up for. I know a lot of people say they don't like the Vegas style of the Ecstasy, but I think me and my boys might actually enjoy that :) So that wouldn't be a downfall for us. I need to start working on that passport thing, I never thought for a second that we needed those. That's the only thing making us wait to book, i just completely forgot about them. Oh well, gives me more time to make the right decision.

I don't know why your TA would try to turn you off from anything in Galveston. It is an easy port to get in and out of and we love it. Check on-line at EZCruiseparking.com and see if that would be good for you to park. We have used it twice so far. It is only two blocks from the port.

Carnivalbound: I would check out another TA, especially if you made clear your reasons for wanting to leave from Galveston or NO.

As far as the Ecstasy/Fantasy comparison goes: same itinerary, same ship design. Decor may be a little different, but that should be about it. We were on the Fantasy a couple years ago, and it was a great ship. Not sure which had the most recent refurb; we were on Sensation after they added the mini-golf (and I believe both Ecstasy and Fantasy have this too now), which would probably be fun for kids. Haven't been on the Conquest, but have seen plenty of great things about it.

Hi..

I agree that the Conquest would be a better choice out of Galveston because the Ecstacy has been a trouble plagued ship for the last year. We were on it in Nov and it had propulsion problems and had previously 2 other times that I know of before that and when we got back from the Conquest on 4-22 (last month) it was out of service for a couple days working on repairs. If it came to either the Fantasy or Ecstacy I would take the Fantasy hands down. The only negative about the Conquest is Jamaica because you do not want to walk around town. There are good tours and also we did Sunset Beach which we liked.

Galveston is a great port to go out of but I hope they either fix the Ecstacy or replace it. There are other ships going out of Galveston and Houston too.

Keep in mind if it applies there is a military rate on CCL right now for those that qualify.

Have a great trip where ever you go

Al

I am sailing on the Ecstasy for the 3rd time and she is a fabulous ship! I just recently sailed on the GINORMOUS Grand Princess and have decided I won't choose to sail on a ship that huge again. We never made it from one end to the other the entire 7 days.

Ecstacy is a fun ship and there is always a lot going on. It is the perfect size, so you see some of your favorite people again and again. It seems as if they are keeping the kids busy 24/7.

Regardless or who you sail or where or when, you can't go wrong on ANY ship, imho..

Bon Voyage!:D

Our first cruise was on the Elation (Fantasy class--sister to Ecstacy ship)on a 7 day out of Galvaston. Then last year we did the 7 day on the Conquest out of Galveston. We loved both-- but my boys said they loved the Elation the best (may be because it was our first cruise.) Lots of activities for our boys-Camp Carnival and the teen club!

Galveston was wonderful (except disembarkation with 3,000 other people took us until 1pm-on the Conquest. We were out by 10am on the Elation trip.)

We want to try a different port so this summer we are going on a 5 day on the Fantasy out of NO. I know we will love it. I really love the ease of getting around a Fantasy class ship. Conquest was not bad...but very big.

I will cruise large again but I still love the mid size ship too!!

Go for what you feel comfortable with. You will love it. :)

The kids (21,16,14,12) thought is was the best vacation we ever had.

That includes other cruises and Disney trips.

I read this morning on 'Roll Call' boards that Lance Armstrong and Matthew

McConaughey are booked on our August cruise. Now that should be fun!

Our first cruise was on the Elation (Fantasy class--sister to Ecstacy ship)on a 7 day out of Galvaston. Then last year we did the 7 day on the Conquest out of Galveston. We loved both-- but my boys said they loved the Elation the best (may be because it was our first cruise.) Lots of activities for our boys-Camp Carnival and the teen club!

I totally agree with ya on the Elation. I think out of all the fantasy class ships we have sailed (4) the Elation wins hands down! In fact I am so excited on sailing her again this August. :) Just wish she had balcony cabins instead of a few overpriced suites.......since we are balcony snobs....

If the choice is between the Ecstasy or the Fantasy for a 5-day cruise, I would pick the Fantasy. You get Progreso with the Ecstasy, or Costa Maya with the Fantasy.

I would look into the Conquest, though. Loved that ship, it was great! I leave Thursday for my first trip on the Ecstasy, so I can't compare that one yet.

Oh, another Elation lover here!

Hello there!

We just got back today. We have two three year olds. We had a tough time outside of the Camp keeping them busy aside from playing in the elevators. One of my sons didn't like the Camp at all. :( That being said, they are three. They did enjoy the kiddie pool however. The pool slide looked like a blast, but alas, my boys were too short to ride it (48").

There weren't many family activities during the day to attend. But, I did see other kids having fun. They were scooting around on those shoe skates having a good time.

We took both of the Beach Break tours available in Cozumel and Progreso. We enjoyed both, but would send people to the one in Cozumel (Playa Mia) if you had to choose between the two. It is a club not a hotel as the one in Progreso is. The beach sand is smoother and the facilities are easily accessible. I heard others saying the dolphin and snorkeling trips (Cozumel) were great fun. Progreso is a new port. It is a developing resort. There isn't much to do besides beach or shopping tours. Port time is only 8 hours, so there isn't much time to do anything else. We didn't see much except from the bus on our way to the beach. I wouldn't take a land vacation there. But, we felt safe there.

As someone else said, the parking in Galveston is a breeze. You drive up to the terminal, drop off your bags with a porter, go to the lot and drive back in a bus. On the way out, you take your bags directly in the bus to your car. We were one of the last to get off the boat, by design. We didn't want to wait in line with our boys. It worked out great. We zipped through customs in no time and didn't have to wait but one minute for a bus.

Was this our ideal, perfect vacation, probably not, but it was a good one. All in all, we were glad that we went. Would Disney Cruise have been better? Of course ~ we have been there before children. But for the price and convenience, we would go on Carnival again out of Galveston.

Hope this helps!

Hello

I just thought I would put in my 2 cents. We have been on Ecstasy and Conquest and are fixin to be back on Ecstasy on 5/19. While both are great ships, Conquest is so much larger. This is nice, but with kids I preferred the smaller ship. We took our boys 9 & 10 on a smaller ship (Celebration in 2003) and it was great. The kids were old enough to check themselves in and out of Camp Carnival and being on a smaller ship we could always find them.....easily. Cruising is hands down the best vacation the kids ever had. They talk about it all the time and can not wait to go again. They loved Camp Carnival (even though we had to force them to try it). They met so many new friends and had so much fun with all the activities.

Although the Ecstasy has been refurbed, she still has the wild decor, but it is fun....IMO! I did not mind at all and to be honest, I don't spend a huge amount of time looking at walls, floors, colors. I want it to be clean and in good repair. She is that. And...there are new flatscreens tv's in all the rooms.:)

When we sailed Conquest the boys were not with us and I kept saying I was glad....it was too big and we would never find them.

They are older now and I still feel the same way. I like to know where they are and be able to locate them when I want them. We are taking them on another cruise soon and it probably still won't be Conquest.

With that said, I did love the Conquest and it probably is more bang for your buck. You just have to make a decision based on your situation and comfort level.

I'm not sure why your TA would discourage Galveston. It is one of the easiest ports we have been to. It is an easy drive, parking is a breeze; there is not much to complain about. I agree that your TA probably just wanted you to book the larger cruise for a larger commission.

Hope this helps and good luck.

I have been on the Ecstasy and Fantasy and both were great!

I didn't care for the Port in NO. Galveston was definately easier to get in and out of. However, my family and I loved Costa Maya! You can't go wrong with either ship....I would definately sail on either one again!

I have to agree, yet again....I will be looking for the mid size, as opposed to the megas as it is more intimate. You find the people you like, and you meet up with those people time and time again. Plus, you make some life long friends. Haven't found that on the "mega vessels"....

They are all GREAT, however, I hope that the cruise industry stops playing the "mine is bigger" game....I just wanna CRUISE! gIVE ME SOME MORE SEA DAYS!!!:D :D

9/8/07 BE THERE or be square!

Cheers!

The kids (21,16,14,12) thought is was the best vacation we ever had.

That includes other cruises and Disney trips.

I read this morning on 'Roll Call' boards that Lance Armstrong and Matthew

McConaughey are booked on our August cruise. Now that should be fun!

Uh oh...we may just see you there. :D

Archived