Trans Tasman Voyage

vozzie

As there are always cruisers asking about what the weather is like crossing the Tasman .... this story appearing in today's paper may be of interest

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,21664982-17102,00.html

I haven't sailed the Tasman Sea, I flew over it from Melbourne to Launceston. And I want to tell you, it was the roughest hour and a half I've ever flown. That plane was up and down like a roller coaster. the pilot even had the flight attendants sit down and buckle up. I'm not usually fearful when flying, but that flight put the fear of God in me. I was white knuckling the armrests, praying for the flight to be over. I've been told that area of the Sea is more often stormy than not. Sort of like the Straits of Magellan are reportedly bad all the time.

I have done this crossing on numerous occasions over the years - I have family in Launceston and New Zealand. Whilst I may have been unlucky - each time I have crossed over by ship, I thought I was going to die:eek: . It doesn't really matter what time of the year you cross - it can be very rough going and is extremely unpredictable. I now only fly -wild horses wouldn't get me crossing any other way.

But in saying that, I know plently of people who have experienced smooth sailing and wonder what I am going on about;) and yes I am one of those unfortunate people prone to seasickness.

Jane

We did that same cruise in Feb07 on the Sapphire and we had perfect weather all the way except a bit of rain in the sounds and fog accross the Tasman. As for the seas, they were calm all the way, I could make larger swells in my bathtub than we had accross the Tasman or Bass Strait.

Its pot luck when it comes to the weather, guess we were lucky.

I have done this crossing on numerous occasions over the years - I have family in Launceston and New Zealand. Whilst I may have been unlucky - each time I have crossed over by ship, I thought I was going to die:eek: . It doesn't really matter what time of the year you cross - it can be very rough going and is extremely unpredictable. I now only fly -wild horses wouldn't get me crossing any other way.

But in saying that, I know plently of people who have experienced smooth sailing and wonder what I am going on about;) and yes I am one of those unfortunate people prone to seasickness.

Jane

Thanks Jane for sharing that bit of info. I am also one of the ones that get very-seasicked, so much so that I usually end up @ the Dr.'s office on board for shots and drugs - even though I may be wearing patches! Now, we are scheduled for Feb '08 (Summer). Do you think that it is rough during that time?

PinkSuit

Thanks Jane for sharing that bit of info. I am also one of the ones that get very-seasicked, so much so that I usually end up @ the Dr.'s office on board for shots and drugs - even though I may be wearing patches! Now, we are scheduled for Feb '08 (Summer). Do you think that it is rough during that time?

PinkSuit

All I can say Pinksuit is think positive:D . Just go along prepared for anything - I always do wherever I travel. I am sure in February you will be fine - it will be lovely, hot & sunny.

Jane;)

Archived