Floating bouys/balls (fishing markers) en route NY to NS??

TrinaLC

About halfway through the day at sea between NY and Halifax, one cuts through the St. George's flats which are famous for fishing (this is where The Perfect Storm fishermen were). There are many floating "buoys" - large rubber balls, either green or orange, anchored throughout the area. I assume they are some sort of fishing marker, but what for? (If in a bay, I would think Lobster Pot, but this is way out at sea.) Any ideas? We cut through the area on the way back, as well ...

Isn't it (odd) though! I posted this on another board and folks all said channel markers, but these aren't buoys, and they are all over the area, maybe well over a hundred, in totally random (or seemingly random) pattern!

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]They are actually marker buoys For many different reasons. When I use to work off shore with a charter fishing and Diving boat. We use to tie up to them at night and get some shut eye. If you went over or close to the Andrea Dora (a ocean liner that sank back in the 50’s I believe) You would see 4 -6 buoys locating different parts of the ship that we would tie up to while the divers dive the ship.[/size][/font]

[font=Times New Roman][size=3]Yes there is a lot of them out there!![/size][/font]

[quote name='TrinaLC'] I assume they are some sort of fishing marker, but what for? (If in a bay, I would think Lobster Pot, but this is way out at sea.) Any ideas? We cut through the area on the way back, as well ...[/QUOTE]These very well could be for lobster traps. Not knowing the exact course you took, I may be wrong. but. "Off on George's" as the locals here refer to it, there are areas that are fished for lobsters. The markers are on each end of a trawl of anywhere from 15-30 traps (some of the larger boats do even more). We lobster fish off shore, but not there. There are fisherman from here that do though. Hope you enjoyed your cruise in the North Atlantic. Much different sailing than the Carribean!!;)

Islandgram, with your suggestion I did some more research and I believe you are correct, that they are lobster trawl markers. The link below provides lots of information. Unfortunately the pics don't load for me. (Anyone else?)

These are for offshore lobster fishermen, which according to the article is a relatively new way to fish for lobsters. Quite controversial, because it may have the effect of denuding the inshore lobster grounds.

[url]http://pubpages.unh.edu/~shb/pages/mainpage.html[/url]

Archived