For seasoned New Zealand/Austraila flyers

Does anybody have any idea how full flights are, as a general rule, to and from Auckland? The reason I ask, is that we have booked window and aisle seats hoping that the flights won't fill and that the middle seat would be empty. Our theory is that if someone books that sear, we can negotiate a move to one side or the other.

Ralph

Hard to say but time of year will have some bearing as well as where you are departing from and what airline you fly. I doubt anyone would turn down an offer to exchange a middle seat for a window or aisle seat. I've also booked seats in this fashion to other destinations without any problems.

We travelled to Auckland in late Nov/06 from LAX and the flight was pretty much full, same thing on the return journey in Jan/07.

February is peak tourist season for NZ, as lots of Aussies travel to NZ at that time of year. Flights between Auckland/Sydney and vice versa are mostly full.

Depends which aircraft type you are on. If you are flying out of LAX you'll either be on a 777 or 747. If you are on a 777, I would book the 2 aisle seats in the middle section. The middle seat will less likely be booked and you have better access to get out with an aisle on either side.

For a 747, I would stick with your original plan.

Check out seat guru for a better idea of specific seats: http://www.seatguru.com

Depends which aircraft type you are on. If you are flying out of LAX you'll either be on a 777 or 747. If you are on a 777, I would book the 2 aisle seats in the middle section. The middle seat will less likely be booked and you have better access to get out with an aisle on either side.

For a 747, I would stick with your original plan.

Check out seat guru for a better idea of specific seats: http://www.seatguru.com

Over the summer period planes tend to be heavily booked down here. We have travelled on the new Air New Zealand 777's and if you want to be together I would see if you can book the last seats at the back on the side of the plane. On both sides the plane narrows and there are two seats together. If you do not want to be right at the very back, then I would go for the middle two seats.

On the 747's, again there are 3 or 4 rows at the back where there are just two seats together. We love these and always try to get them if we are travelling Economy. You will have more chance of getting a window and aisle on the side in a 747 as they hold more people than on a 777.

Quite a few years ago, our T.A. booked us an aisle and a window on a plane flying to Europe and it backfired, as we found ourselves separated by a stranger in the middle. We ended up giving up our window seat to him. We learnt from that and if we cannot get those back seats of two, we always ask for the middle seats with the aisle as you will not be disturbed by anyone wanting to go to the toilet which is always a hassle in Economy.

Jennie

Like Aussie Gal, I also prefer easy access to the aisle on long haul flights. There just isn't all that much to see during the vast majority of the flight as well as sometimes wanting to sleep. I like it when I neither disturb or am disturbed by other passengers.

I am looking forward to the day when JetStar starts flying to LA as I may be able to afford their "1st class" seats. Right now business class on Qantas is beyond my budget

NancyR2,

Here is my choice but then I am biased. Number one is Qantas, second is Air New Zealand, and then a toss up between Air Pacific and United.

The first two are so far ahead of the last two, there is no comparison.

Jennie

I would second Aussie Girl. I flew Melb to New York return in August with Qantas - absolutely fantastic. We flew first class but had family in economy and they also had a great flight. My mother in law flew business with United on the flight to NY and thought it was terrible. She flew home with Air New Zealand and said the difference between the two was enormous.

My husband has also flown to LA with United once and vowed never to fly with them again.

Jane

For schedule frequency and service QANTAS rules LAX to Australia with flights to Syndey, Melbourne, and Brisbane. QANTAS is also a member of OneWorld so a big plus for AA flyers in terms of frequent flyer mileage.

I would only pick Air New Zealand only if I wanted a stop over in Auckland. Similarly, I might consider Air Pacific for a free Fiji stop over or Hawaiian airlines for a stop in HI. United is OK for their frequent fliers or members of the Star Ailliance and they also fly non-stop LAX-SYD.

Archived