Tracy Arm and frozen lakes?

thawan

We are going May 13 to 20th. We have the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer booked. I don't think we will get in far enought to see Sawer glacier, but I'm wondering if anyone could take a guess as to how close. We are also wondering if this excusion is ever cancelled??

The other one we have booked is Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. (in Skagway) and was wondering if any knew if the lake we do the canoe in, is still frozen. If it's still frozen next week I'm thinking I should cancell. And do the train/bus through Chillcoltin (sp) but to do that I need to decided before we get on the ship.

Any thoughts/ideas :D

If you are doing Tracy Arm in a small boat I doubt it would be cancelled. No reason why you can't get all the way up to the glacier. If the lake in Skagway is frozen, they'll probably take you to an alternate, lower-elevation lake.

Two weeks makes a huge difference in Alaska as to what's snow and ice-free and what's not.

If you are doing Tracy Arm in a small boat I doubt it would be cancelled. No reason why you can't get all the way up to the glacier. If the lake in Skagway is frozen, they'll probably take you to an alternate, lower-elevation lake.

We did this trip on a small boat about the same week as the OP 2 years ago and there were too much ice in the water for our boat to get through given the time constraints that we had. It was still an excellent excursion and I highly recommend it even with out seeing the glaciers.

Hi: I am on the 13 day Celebrity Cruise from May 12 to May 25th. Unfortunately the Tracy Arm cruise is not offered through Celebrity so I went online to find an independent tour company that does offer it. Here is what I found so far. The first company's tour went too long and the other tour company that could accommodate me time wise only caters to NCL.

So if you know of anyone else that offers this trip out of Juneau, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thank you. Brigitte

Hi: I am on the 13 day Celebrity Cruise from May 12 to May 25th. Unfortunately the Tracy Arm cruise is not offered through Celebrity so I went online to find an independent tour company that does offer it. Here is what I found so far. The first company's tour went too long and the other tour company that could accommodate me time wise only caters to NCL.

So if you know of anyone else that offers this trip out of Juneau, I would greatly appreciate hearing about it. Thank you. Brigitte

Most port times do not allow you to get back and forth to Tracy Arm from Juneau. I have gone with Auk Nu independent when I had over a 12 hour port day, arriving at 7am.

Most port times do not allow you to get back and forth to Tracy Arm from Juneau. I have gone with Auk Nu independent when I had over a 12 hour port day, arriving at 7am.

A friend informed me Alaska Adventure Bound has purchased Auk Nu.

We are going May 13 to 20th. We have the Tracy Arm Fjord & Glacier Explorer booked. I don't think we will get in far enought to see Sawer glacier, but I'm wondering if anyone could take a guess as to how close. We are also wondering if this excusion is ever cancelled??

The other one we have booked is Glacier Point Wilderness Safari. (in Skagway) and was wondering if any knew if the lake we do the canoe in, is still frozen. If it's still frozen next week I'm thinking I should cancell. And do the train/bus through Chillcoltin (sp) but to do that I need to decided before we get on the ship.

Any thoughts/ideas :D

This timeframe does have a good chance of not getting within view of the Sawyers. End of May is better with the add on jet boat.

Even though Coral claims it is still worthwhile, I would look at keeping track of trends for your timeframe. Being that your SHIP is already sailing there, without the glacier access, I would just stick with the cruise ship. The add on tour is $174pp. I have this booked for myself in July.

I would get "friendly" perhaps with someone going prior to you, on the Sun/Star and email them from the ship or call them?? Go over to their roll call and post the request, there are plenty helpful people around.

BQ good idea about asking prior ppl to my sailing, if I had thought to ask sooner, as they will be boarding today :)

For Tracy Arm the little boat will get in alot closer than the ship, so we will just go with the flow, and not expect to see Sawyer, Then if we do it's a bonus :D

For the Glacier Safari, IF it gets canciled too late for me to book the bus/rr trip, I think we will get the fast ferry to Hanzes and spend the day.

I wonder if we could book the bus/rr from an independent the day of??

Got to go drool at the Sun....It's in Vancouver right now;)

Archived