Just Back from Brilliance April 16th Transatlantic

I thought I'd start this thread to discuss how wonderful this cruise really was, and I had several requests to do so. Contrary to some posts, I had a wonderful time. Soooo!!! What do you want to know?

What do you want to know.............everything from start to finish! :)

What do you want to know.............everything from start to finish! :)

Pete and Marilyn, The main purpose of this thread is to concentrate on the wonderful and very positive aspects of this cruise, contrary to negative posts on some other threads.

We had a very calm crossing, with great weather the first few days and then increasingly cooler as we continued on but still 70's in the daytime.

There was always lots to do on the sea days if you so chose.

We had a very nice M&M which the Captain attended along with the CD for a while. We had a gift exchange and the RCI staff gave away cool stuff.

Ask me some specific questions and I'll try to answer them. It's difficult to go from start to finish at one sitting.

How was the weather...............heard some ships had rough seas and rain. Also, what was the best part of the trip............the seas days or the ports?

We had a very smooth crossing with lovely weather. The first few days out of Miami were hot and sunny just like a Caribbean cruise then it got progressively cooler each day but still 70's in the day. In the ports, it tended to start off overcast and cool. (Light Jacket ) but by mid to late morning it was lovely. I usually had the jacket tied around my waist or left it in the bus during tours. The only day we had rain was debark day in Barcelona and it really did rain. (As if we weren't already depressed)

I liked the sea days until I did the port days, so I can't pick. Each had many merits.

Hubby and I are looking at our first transatlantic for next year and think we will go with Royal or Celebrity. We would like to do the ta that ends up in Copenhagen or Amsterdam and does LeHavre (my hubby wants to visit Normandy - I've been and it is quite something) as we have done Italy and Spain several times and aren't interested in those ports. I was thinking spring would be best for that area but perhaps November wouldn't be so bad either. Any thoughts

I thought I'd start this thread to discuss how wonderful this cruise really was, and I had several requests to do so. Contrary to some posts, I had a wonderful time. Soooo!!! What do you want to know?

Oooh, you did it!

What does Captain Lindegren look like (since we get him in December)? Is he funny? Does he compare to my heart-throb Captain...? (since you had him too :D) What were the shows like? Did you and Toby have fun? Are the new carpets in the Schooner Bar better than the tired old things that were on last year? What did you do on the cruise, besides enjoy the beautiful ship?

Does that work for starters?

Fran in Toronto

What was the best port and what did you do there?

If I had to pick a favorite it would have to be Cadiz because that is the port for Seville. We took the ship's tour which lasted all day, but what a day. First of all it's about a 2hour drive but our guide regaled us with stories and facts all the way. We were in Seville for their April Fair a very traditional holiday for them. Almost all the females including small babies were dressed in beautiful dresses with flowers in their hair. Many of the men were dressed traditionally also. Many were travelling to the Fair in horse-drawn carraiges which were decorated with flowers as were the horses. We saw all the sights in an over-view by coach and then had a lovely lunch at a fancy hotel. We then went on a walking tour through the old town and into the cathedral, palaces, etc. It was a wonderful day and a great guide.

Hubby and I are looking at our first transatlantic for next year and think we will go with Royal or Celebrity. We would like to do the ta that ends up in Copenhagen or Amsterdam and does LeHavre (my hubby wants to visit Normandy - I've been and it is quite something) as we have done Italy and Spain several times and aren't interested in those ports. I was thinking spring would be best for that area but perhaps November wouldn't be so bad either. Any thoughts

IMHO Spring would be better only because the Northern European in November tend to be cold and foggy. Lived in Britain and Nov was always "Pea-souper" month.

Hi all,

We also loved the day in Seville and were on the same tour with Sheila and Bob. What good timing we had to be there for the April Fair and to have a great weather day too!

Our other favorite port was Valencia because good luck with timing was on our side again. Valencia is hosting the America's Cup this year and are currently running the Louis Viutton Cup as a prelim. Not only did we get to walk past all the team areas and see all of the boats, we also got to watch some of the races as we sat up at the Seaview Cafe before sailaway. It was a gorgeous day and a beautiful city and port.

Oooh, you did it!

What does Captain Lindegren look like (since we get him in December)? Is he funny? Does he compare to my heart-throb Captain...? (since you had him too :D) What were the shows like? Did you and Toby have fun? Are the new carpets in the Schooner Bar better than the tired old things that were on last year? What did you do on the cruise, besides enjoy the beautiful ship?

Does that work for starters?

Fran in Toronto

Wow Fran, That's a tall order your giving me.

1. Captain Lindegran is tall and thin not bad looking. I'll try to post a pic later . He seems very nice, quiet, very polite. I must say that after the change over, my friend and I went to the captain's talk just so we could see what you swoon over and take pics for you. Toby did too. I agree he's handsome and has a wonderful speaking voice. His personality is just different from Captain Lindegran and he was very funny when he talked about the fact that he missed the ship.

2. The shows were good for the most part. As a matter of taste, some were better for me than others. The production shows IMHO were very good indeed.

3. Toby and I had a ball. Every time I saw her she was enjoying herself.

4. Can't say I notice the carpet in the Schooner Bar.

5. As to what we did. We read, slept, ate, slept, ate, napped, ate, drank, played Trivia, drank, ate, slept and then we got to the Azores and from then on we toured all the beautiful cities and drank it all in.

Hi all,

We also loved the day in Seville and were on the same tour with Sheila and Bob. What good timing we had to be there for the April Fair and to have a great weather day too!

Our other favorite port was Valencia because good luck with timing was on our side again. Valencia is hosting the America's Cup this year and are currently running the Louis Viutton Cup as a prelim. Not only did we get to walk past all the team areas and see all of the boats, we also got to watch some of the races as we sat up at the Seaview Cafe before sailaway. It was a gorgeous day and a beautiful city and port.

Agree 100% Another great day.

I am interested in taking this cruise down the road. Were you planning on writing up a full review?

I would like to read the good along with the bad - could someone tell me where these threads are? I can't find them.

I am interested in taking this cruise down the road. Were you planning on writing up a full review?

I would like to read the good along with the bad - could someone tell me where these threads are? I can't find them.

I prefer to concentrate on the positive on this thread,but there wasn't that much IMHO that was really negative.

How was the weather...............heard some ships had rough seas and rain. Also, what was the best part of the trip............the seas days or the ports?

I notice in your signature that you're sailing back on the Brilliance in Dec. You will be sailing with some good friends we made who sailed over with us and you'll love the ship. Quite a few folks we met said they would be on the repo back.

I prefer to concentrate on the positive on this thread,but there wasn't that much IMHO that was really negative.

Which is perfectly fine and what I would do too probably. Just curious if you were going to do a full review just b/c I find it personally easier to read :( is all ! Plus even just to say "this happened but didn't affect my vacation" wouldn't be really negative (at least I think).

Thanks anyways for letting me know you had a good time! I want to book this in two years if it's still available :) Happy cruising.

noticed you now live in Delaware. I and my DW live in Lewes. You mentioned you lived in England. We wii be on the Jewel for the Western Europe cruise on 9/24. Could you please advise as to what the weather might be at that time.

Thanks

John

We're also be sailing on the Brilliance in Dec from Barcelona. We want to hear all about the Brilliance and the ports you visited. We would appreciate any advice you can give us. Also, we need major advice, suggestions, & tips regarding the flight to Barcelona (I realize that you probably flew back). With so many airline restrictions we need all the help we can get.

We can hardly wait for this transatlantic cruise. It's a dream come true for us.

Thanks

Lynn

noticed you now live in Delaware. I and my DW live in Lewes. You mentioned you lived in England. We wii be on the Jewel for the Western Europe cruise on 9/24. Could you please advise as to what the weather might be at that time.

Thanks

John

John we live north of you near Dover. What countries are you visiting in Sept. I don't know much about the European weather in Sept but I do know that Britain can have some lovely days in Sept although cool. 60's maybe and cooler at night. There are many web sites that give weather up-dates when you get closer.

We're also be sailing on the Brilliance in Dec from Barcelona. We want to hear all about the Brilliance and the ports you visited. We would appreciate any advice you can give us. Also, we need major advice, suggestions, & tips regarding the flight to Barcelona (I realize that you probably flew back). With so many airline restrictions we need all the help we can get.

We can hardly wait for this transatlantic cruise. It's a dream come true for us.

Thanks

Lynn

Brilliance is a beautiful ship. We found the staff to be very nice and helpful. If you have Concierge priviledges, you will like Katherine. She is very helpful. All the lounges are very nice. You will ahve different ports coming back. I envy you because you will get to visit the Canary Islands. We visited the Azores, Lisbon, Cadiz (Seville), Malaga, Valencia and ended in Barcelona. We took City Tours in all the ports and saw many wonderful Cathedrals and Palaces. We found the sea days to be very relaxing with plenty to do if you so chose.

I did a TA on the Jewel last April and loved her...I am going on the Radiance in Sept to Hawaii....I know the Brilliance is a sister ship and was wondering what you enjoyed the most on her?

IMHO Spring would be better only because the Northern European in November tend to be cold and foggy. Lived in Britain and Nov was always "Pea-souper" month.

Call me a weirdo, but I love pea-soup days! A month would be heaven.

I know, I'm a freak...:p

P.S. Great job on your first thread - you did great!

We were on this wonderful cruise too (hi Sheila and Sandy!) We had the BEST time. Home a week now and still can't think of a single negative:) CC friends fantastic, ship gorgeous, sea days which we love, Seville during fiesta, so many lovely memories (ok the 6 pounds I put on is a negative;)

Sue

Shiela--So nice to see such a positive thread. We're planning our first TA next year, Harwich to Boston on the Jewel. Have you ever done that route?

On a side note...Martha...Congratulations to you and Josh! How exciting, your dedication paid off. :) :D

Archived