Great Fares to AKL - and we all missed out!

I've spent the better part of the past couple of weeks looking for decent fares from LAX to Auckland or Sydney for our Mercury sailing in February. Last night and this morning there were many postings (and 35,000 viewings) on flyertalk about fantastic (glitch??) fares on United, and I didn't spot them until a few minutes ago. BUSINESS CLASS round-trip to Auckland for $1480 including all taxes and fees. Lots of flyers were greedy:eek: and booked multitudinous (!!) tickets. They're all gone now. Why, oh why didn't I think to look at the business class option??:(:( Oh well, they may or may not be honored. But, I could cry:(:( Did anyone here luck out?

So I'm a bit late but just for jollys I tried to book a "business class" flight for my itinerary and got quoted somewhere in excess of $11 grand. What 'ch wanna' bet that United squirms out of any of them $1480 tickets they sold?

Ralphie

Sharon

I am on the same cruise in February with y'all. If you find this bargain again let me know. I hope they make this "goof" again soon. I read the AIR PACFIC passenger opinions, but I read your post they you hear something different in CC postings. Can you tell me where you find them?

Hi Bob & Martha,

I'm still crying about this one that "got away". I would bet I check into flyertalk at least twice a day -- never thought to look into business class flights because of the price! Don't expect this fare to happen again any time soon.

Anyway, if you do a search on this forum Australia & New Zealand, putting in Air Pacific, you'll find a posting "Has anyone flown on Air Pacific?" A couple of the answers; from JLC@SD on March 19, 2007, and Captainiron on March 24, 2007 both reply pretty favorably from past experiences.

If we can't get our seats by using our FF miles, this is probably the airline we'll be taking. I'm getting prices of between $1220 and $1280, depending on what day I search. Check on kayak.com by putting in your dates and the multi-city routing.

Looking forward to meeting you.

I finally got the flights taken care of today. Instead of spending miles, we're going to be earning a lot -- managed to find United flights from (would you believe:rolleyes:??) northern Germany to Frankfurt to San Francisco to Sydney. I'll book us a cheap one-way to Auckland. The roundtrip fare cost a total of $1500 per person (almost cheaper than United just from SFO to SYD) and we'll each get 27,000 FF miles out of it (and hopefully a short stopover in SF on the way back). So now one less thing to worry about.:) On to hotels...

• 2 months later...

I think you have to stay on top of Air New Zealand. We were able to catch our LAX-AKL-SYD-AKL-LAX for February, several months ago at $1280. My two sisters-in-law booked a day later at $1340 and it remained close to that (within a few bucks which I assumed was currency fluctuation) until last week when it dropped to $1180.

Now, of course, this ticked me off, but to no avail. Now, just three days ago it jumps to over $1600. Way beyond me but I still have to keep checking every morning.

I have some Delta points and was looking at the Korean Air flights to Auckland. Can you give me any suggestions on how this worked for you? How many points, routing etc.

Thanks

Dawnrae

Sorry I missed you....

I cannot see what part of the world you are from but from Europe the only way to use Delta miles in the "other direction" is to fly Korean. My tip would be to call Delta Skymiles and ask.

I think you have to stay on top of Air New Zealand. We were able to catch our LAX-AKL-SYD-AKL-LAX for February, several months ago at $1280. My two sisters-in-law booked a day later at $1340 and it remained close to that (within a few bucks which I assumed was currency fluctuation) until last week when it dropped to $1180.

Now, of course, this ticked me off, but to no avail. Now, just three days ago it jumps to over $1600. Way beyond me but I still have to keep checking every morning.

An now, today, the price is over $1800. Go figure.

Archived