Ventura formal nights

jondriver

Does anyone know if ther will be formal nights on the ventura and if there are do the offer a restaurant where you don't have to dress up?

I enjoy putting on the glad rags occasionally but with a 2 year old in tow i'm not sure how practical it would be if there were more than 1 or 2 formal nights.

Thanks

I think Ventura will conform to the standard for all P&O ships, which is 4 formal nights in a two week cruise. They say that the dress codes apply to all resturants and bars. However, I reckon that the Beach House on Lido Deck Aft would be the place to dine. It's the dedicated family dining venue on board. Also I'm sure that Waterside Food Court, also on Lido Deck would be a venue where they'd be less likely to bother about the dress code.

I hope that helps. Have a good trip.

Eddie

We will soon cruise on Aurora with our two year old for two weeks to the Baltic where we will have four formal nights and four semi-formal nights but are not worried in the least.... this is because the night/evening care facilities for children of this age seem to be very good on P&O. So what we will be doing is taking him to the children's tea at 5pm (with a good & varied menu from copies of it I've seen), and putting him to bed at about 7pm, where we have two options - a staffed night nursery which is available for children up to the age of five until 2am or in-cabin listening through the phone system for any child if we put him to bed in the cabin. My understanding is they give us a beeper and will beep us if any problems at all. None of this is an extra charge. We will then head to second sitting.

I have yet to actually experience this, so can only trust that it works, but this was a key reason for choosing P&O for us - a lot of other lines do evening activities for 3yrs+ or charge extra for in cabin sitting but P&O's readiness to look after my sleeping two year old was very good news.

I can only imagine Ventura, being heralded as a real family ship, will offer the same facilities of this type, if not more.

Obviously none of this will apply if you are committed to the idea of dining every evening with your two year old (in which case I would agree that the length & atmosphere of a formal dinner would be 'challenging') but much as I adore mine I am loving the idea of a few evenings of glad rags and cocktails etc - we will share lunches and breakfasts together and that will do us fine for the shared family dining experience.

Didn't know if you'd considered this approach and hope the info helps,

CT

Hi,

First let me say I love children (I must do they are my career) and love the atmosphere we found on Oceana last year.

Now let me change tack a little. While it is important for you to enjoy your holiday as a family think about the other passengers onboard whilst you are. If it's school holiday time they may be travelling with their own children (of all ages), they may work in careers where they are restricted to fixed holiday dates, they may have chosen a particular ship & itinerary.

If it is school term time (and as your child is only 2 it is possible) again they may have chosen a family ship for it's itinerary, they may have chosen it for it's price, they may have chosen it for the experience of travelling on a new ship during her maiden season.

Now imagine for them sitting down to dinner at a table for 8 and having a toddler at their table (whether 1st or 2nd sitting). Some may have no problem at all, some may be ok with it but not on formal nights, some may feel that children of that age should not be at main meals when they have a dedicated meal time catering for them.

A friend who has just returned from a cruise taken during school term time had a child aged 5 at their table and found that their conversations at the table were limited in nature of the topics because of the presence of a child of that age, and that the child's parents wanted the conversation to revolve around their child; they found that chicken nuggets served with ketchup every night was off putting and that the child had limited manners and kept running round the table. Also by the end of the meal most nights the child was overtired and consequently not behaving very well.

My friends opinion at the end of the cruise was that they enjoyed the ship but have been put off because of the experience of 2nd sitting dining with a young child. They had travelled deliberately in term time to avoid high numbers of children.

Now I can hear all parents saying that their children would behave differently and that my friends would have had a different experience had they been on their table.

We travel with older children (aged 13, 11 & 9 this year) and as a party of 6 so we choose to dine at a table by ourselves - we have said we wouldn't want to spoil the experience of another couple who perhaps only wanted other adult company at dinner. We have also holidayed with the children when they were younger and used the facilities for children's supper when it was available - they get to eat with outher children and then can have fun, you can relax and know that they don't have to be on 'best behaviour' for approx 2 hours (always difficult for a 2 year old).

Why not look at the facilities on offer for 2-4 year olds for things they can do whilst you are at dinner and as other site members have suggested think about the options on offer such as night nursery or listening in facilities. You might find you'll enjoy your holiday more if you're not worried about social faux pais.

Please don't get me wrong, thihs is not an anti children posting.

Feebee_71:)

Thanks for your input. I suppose thinging about it it makes sense to put her to bed and then go have some grown up conversation!

CT I'd be really interested to hear about your experience when you return. Also do you have a bed or a cot onboard for your 2 year old?

Jon, no problem - will certainly be reviewing the whole expereince and so look out for that early July. There is lots of advice on cruising with a two year old in the family cruising board and I've gotten lots of tips from there (taking a portable DVD player, some reins, new toys for coach transfers from ports, etc) even though most of the members are posting about US lines' facilities. Almost everyone coming back from a cruise with a little one seems to have had a great time so I'm really looking forward to it.

We originally booked a cot but now he is in a bed and reacts "Baby Bed?! Nonono!!" whenever he sees a cot so now we have a sofa bed for him (double balcony cabin with sofa bed). As obviously you couldn't use a pullman at that age.

I was re-reading my 2008 brochure last night and it says about the night nurseries etc as if all child-friendly ships in the fleet would have them but doesn't specifically list it under Ventura's facilities. Hmmmm.... could it be that they expect so many younger children (the Noddy effect!;) and of course a bigger boat), that they cannot physically get them all in a night nursery?? Would be very disappointing if that was the case - to market at young families and then not babysit in the evenings. I think it would be well worth checking this out with P&O direct.

Hi Jondriver & CT New Cruiser,

Thought this might help with the query about there being a night nursery onboard Ventura. It comes from the P&O site section about facilities onboard for families.

"Tumblers -

If You are here holidaying with a very young child, then Ventura’s nursery will be a welcome addition to the ship. There will be a soft play area for child and parent time. While for sleepy heads a night nursery with cots and beds will be open from 6pm to 2am. Parents can settle their child down to sleep and then enjoy the evening knowing they will be paged if there are any problems. An in-cabin listening facility will also be available through the telephone system.

Toybox -

2 to 4 year olds have their own dedicated children’s club and area. And they are certain to love it! There will be a soft play area, a ball pool and Noddy’s play house. Activities will range from singing, colouring and drawing, to fun and games. There will even be a snug area complete with flat screen TV to snuggle down and watch films and cartoons. While a sheltered outdoor play area with play equipment from tricycles to rockers and wobble boards will be a favourite with many."

I hope that this information is helpful and that you both enjoy your cruises.

Feebee_71:)

Great news, thanks feebee :) . Thought it would be very odd to have such good daytime facilities for toddlers and not at least match the rest of the fleet at night, hopefully they'll make subsequent editions of the 08 brochure clearer.

Makes it even more tempting to book Ventura now (which I am trying to resist doing until I have at least experienced cruising and know if I like it but it's very very tempting),

CT

Thanks for your input. I suppose thinging about it it makes sense to put her to bed and then go have some grown up conversation!

CT I'd be really interested to hear about your experience when you return. Also do you have a bed or a cot onboard for your 2 year old?

Hi Jon, we cruised the med last year with a 3 and 5 yr old. We had an outside cabin and the bed configuration was like bunk beds.

Princess have a policy that under 5's are not allowed to sleep on a top bunk, although this is not inforced!!(room check at 11.30pm!!)

My 5 yr old was fine and loved it but for my youngest we took the matress off and put it between the the bottom bunks on the floor where she slept very happily.

Also have to say that we did take both of our girls into the main dining room on formal night but we did have a table to ourselves......a few crayons and paper and a whole lot of patience will be needed!

However some times we would feed them in the buffet first,drop them at the kids club 7-10pm then get dressed for dinner and table share which was great fun. We were only ever bleeped once.

Best family holiday ever... as everyone gets a break from the norm, in first class surroundings.................roll on Venturer May 2008.

Lou

i was led to belive only 2 formal nights if its the caribbean?

Hi MK,

Standard for P&O for the Caribbean is 4 formal and 10 smart casual in a fortnight.

:):)Happy cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

Hi MK,

Standard for P&O for the Caribbean is 4 formal and 10 smart casual in a fortnight.

….but four sets of blue shorts, red shirt and blue hat with bell shouldn’t take up much room!:) :) :D

David

4 :eek: how do you manage to pack anything else when you are only allowed 1 suitcase and limited weight? I always pack mine in suitbags too AAAAAHHHHH :eek:

Well up until now 2000 couples each fortnight have managed. 2 ships x 1000 couples each.

Try asking the question in a new post or try P&O CC if you can get in, the girls over there will have the answer.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your suggestions. Sorry it's taken a while i've been on holiday.

Think we will be booking the Canaries Cocktail. Hopefully my little one will go to sleep in the nursery! then maybe we can have a grown up night out for a change.

• 3 weeks later...

I have just booked this cruise on the Ventura and your photographs have brought it to life. I watched the slide show and having been to many of the islands included it was a real trip down memory lane especially Madeira and the cable cars:). This is my first cruise and I am really looking forward to it now. Thank you.

glad you liked them. I am off on Arcadia a week today to the Med. Have a balcony cabin, and am taking a nice winebox of Chardonny, can't wait!

i'll download piccies on my return, visiting Rome,Pisa/Floerence, Barcelona, Monte Carlo, etc.

Sue

hello Mr Git (less of the old!):)

I am looking forward to this cruise, the weather seems to be hotting up now, 85 in Rome !!

The cases are out of the loft and prep is under way.

Did you see any dolphins anywhere or other sea life?

Sue x

Hi,

Now imagine for them sitting down to dinner at a table for 8 and having a toddler at their table (whether 1st or 2nd sitting). Some may have no problem at all, some may be ok with it but not on formal nights, some may feel that children of that age should not be at main meals when they have a dedicated meal time catering for them.

You have a table for you and your family only.

I wouldn't dream of selecting a table of 8 including my two teenagers. They soon make friends and either leave the table early or eat eleswhere. I think it is inconsiderate to the other table companions to have children included who may not even turn up on some evenings.

Once they stop coming with us I'll then choose that table size

I agree with you. Luckly I won't have that, as am on a child free ship for that reason.

Some one I know came back from Oceana and had a young girl on their table, she became tired and miserable and it affected the table conversation as adult on subjects were obviously out, and she became the centre of attention with her food dislikes and likes etc.. i would not inflict my children on other people at dinner, and would do as you say either book a table just for my family OR let the child eat with the other children at their special teas, and let them go to the kids club in the evening which afford you the luxury of time alone with your partner to relax and enjoy the meal with other adults.

Sue

Mum for 21 years

hello libralass.yes we saw the dolphins quite a few,please tell about the ship on your return as we go on it next july to venice and would like an honest impartial opinion as the wife didn't fancy it but it's when my hols are next year so we got to go then was wanting to go on aurora same destination's but couldn't get time off for them dates.

many thank's happy cruiseing :0 )))

I will of been on her twice by July 08 (did you mean july 08 or 07?)

She is due for a refit from 21 april - 5 May08(see the gap in the brochure?)I have been told, and we will be the first cruise out on her after refit on J808 to Venice, looking forward very much to that 16 nighter.

So if you mean july 08, my review after venice should be interesting, hopefully she will have new carpets on the refit, as have heard that some are a bit threadbare!

But she is still a lovely ship i am sure.

Sue

Archived