Has anyone flown Scandanavian Airlines?

cruisingeurope

Hi~ Has anyone flown Scandanavian Airlines? We wil be flying in June from Copenhagen to the US (a long flight!) in a fully booked plane and I was wondering if anyone else had flown on SAS and what were their impressions? Thanks!

Have not flown SAS, but I have not heard grand horror stories about them. One thing to remember -- as a Star Alliance carrier, you can earn either UA or US miles for your trip. Be sure one of those FF numbers is in your record.

We flew SAS Chicago to Copenhagen and had a wonderful flight. Nice service and good entertainment choices. If I remember right it was the first flight I had been on that had cameras on the front and bottom of the plane so you could watch the scenery go by. It makes take off and landing more fun for me! :)

Carol

We used AA frequent flyer miles on SAS. NY to Copenhagen & on to Rome a few years ago. Thought the service was great and free drinks in coach. The airport has great lounge chairs on the upper deck facing the tarmac. Quiet area.

We used AA frequent flyer miles on SAS.

I'd be curious how you managed that, since AA is part of Oneworld and SAS is part of Star Alliance. Further, SAS is not an "off-alliance" redemption partner. Could it have been UA miles?

• 2 weeks later...

Have flown SAS Seattle to Copenhagen 3 times and believe it to be a great non stop from Seattle to Europe. NW/KLM has another nonstop to Europe from Seattle (to AMS) and also BA has SEA to LHR, but unless recently has changed, you can not get seat selection on BA economy until 24 hrs before departure, so need computer or wait until arrive at airport.

My husband flies SAS frequently from either Dulles to Copenhagen or Chicago to Copenhagen. He loves flying SAS, but there are a few things to consider.

First, his connection in Chicago is so tight that he has missed his flight a few times. He generally goes through Dulles, but sometimes can't get a last minute ticket and has to fly through Chicago. So, try to make sure if you go through Chicago, you have a window of more than 75 minutes.

Second, SAS has a tendency to strike. As a matter of fact, they went on strike this past Friday and I was worried DH wouldn't make it home for the Memorial Day beach trip we planned. Luckily, he flew out as scheduled Friday morning. US flights were not cancelled. The company my DH works for (large Swedish company) has threatened SAS to pull all business travel from them because of the frequency of strikes. Also, DH said they are considering banning employees from flying SAS. DH said one of his Swedish coworkers said SAS went on strike 90 times over the past 3 years, but he thinks he meant to say 19.

One time DH and I got stuck in Germany for 10 hours due to a SAS strike. We couldn't leave the airport because a few flights were still flying and they kept delaying ours but not cancelling it. We didn't know if we'd get out at all.

Even though SAS has issues, they are still DH's preferred carrier. He likes the roominess, service, and schedules. Also, we get United frequent flyer mileage credits through SAS and build up quite a bit of mileage with SAS and a United credit card.

I liked SAS. I got upgraded to business, as the plane was full and I was flying on a full fare coach ticket. Business was awesome. Comfy seats, and my favorite was that the bathroom had an oversized window in it!

They use Orrefours crystal for their champagne service at boarding. Very nice.....

Good point about Chicago... make sure you have lots of time for the connection.

We flew SAS last summer roundtrip Seattle/Copenhagen. It was fine but not the SAS I flew many years ago. Then again, I believe most carriers are not what they used to be.

That said, it was a pleasant trip. Good movies to choose from, food going over pretty good. However, coming back from Copenhagen, the food wasn't "kid friendly". We were traveling with a group of 45 teenage soccer players, 3/4 of them boys, and few of them touched it.

The preliminary appetizer was a very salty/fishy salmon paste wrapped in a tortilla like bread. I was hungry, I ate it. And I'm Norwegian so it wasn't totally foreign to me but not great either. The main course included a herring salad and I believe chicken and rice. Again, few touched most of the main course.

As far as quality was concerned, the food did meet that bar. But didn't suit many of the American kids taste buds.

Next time, I'll be sure to carry plenty of snacks because when we landed in Seattle after a very long day, the kids were pretty darned hungry!

I'd be curious how you managed that, since AA is part of Oneworld and SAS is part of Star Alliance. Further, SAS is not an "off-alliance" redemption partner. Could it have been UA miles?

Sorry for giving the wrong info. Our tour group booked that airline for us. i did not use FF miles.

Archived