how to carry day's spending money

We're off to Rome in a few weeks. I plan to wear a money belt, but I don't want to have to go into it every time I buy a coffee or museum ticket. How do you carry the small change (50 Euros or so) you need for the day without it getting pickpocketed? Thanks all.

I put money in my front pants pockets. If yoou are really concerned, using something heavy to hold the money helps -- money clip or one of those huge paper clips. Another approach is the wrinkle the bills and don't fold them together in your pocket.

Paul

I use an old wallet I replaced when I travel, strip it down to just the essentials for the trip- My drivers license for ID or my ship S & S, a reduced in size, laminated color copies of our passports, an ATM card and one CC different from the one my wife is carrying. I put this in my front pants pocket. I also stash some more cash in my Rick Steves inspired back pack, which I can swing around from my shoulder to under my arm when crowds start getting thick. I carry this to carry my camera and anything we may purchase along the way.

My wife has a similar wallet set up, leaves her purse back on the ship.

I could carry my money pouch around my neck as well, if I know we will be in crowds, but usually don't unless I need to carry more cash.

... reduced in size, laminated color copies of our passports...

Even better idea is to (also) scan all your important travel docs, ID, and credit cards into .jpg files and email them to yourself at a webmail address (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.). That way, full info is readily available on-line, even if you lose your wallet, backpack, or suitcase.

Put all the important stuff in a neck wallet, just what you expect to use in the day, the rest stays in the safe on the ship. Take part of the money and put in a small change purse in the bottom of a tote bag or front pocket. When you need more go into a restroom to retreive it.

Thanks for asking the question....it was just what I was wondering also. We both have money belts etc but I was not sure what to do about the small change for having on hand. Could not imagine just whipping up the shirt to get into it for little purchases etc.

So thank you to all those suggestions to this questions. It was helpful.

I agree with Wendy--pretend you are going for a day of shopping in NYC, Chicago, Philly--Toronto. You are correct that you don't want everything in your under the clothes wallet--not only is it a pain--but why show everyone where you are "hiding" your cash.

DH and I split the money. He keeps his in his front pocket and keeps both hands in his pockets in crowds. I have a great bag (the healthy back bag) that has so many inside and outside pockets I usually lose stiff inside. I keep a few euros (like 30) in the outside zip pocket so I don't have to route when there is a gelato emergency, other money of the day and one card goes into a zipper place, inside the zipper part of the bag which I pin shut with a diaper pin. This is also where I put my camera. The bag fits nicely under my arm and I can balance my hand on the zipper part.

Another credit card, ship cards, copies of passports, emergency money, port agent info, embassy info all go in the under the clothes wallet.

Tilley(the hat people) also have clothing.They make both pants and shorts that have a pocket within a front pocket that is velcrosed closed. A pickpocket would have to get his/her hand in your pocket and undo the velcro.They refer to them as pick pocket resistant. I keep some money and passport in a money belt but leave a credit card and some spending money in the velco pocket.It has worked well for us.

I agree with Wendy and Mountainmare. Those money belts are a pain.

You get sweaty under it, it's bulky and I didn't like my protruded profile. After a day with that I carried a small bag I essentially brought for my camera.

It's maybe 6" wide x 8" high. I bought it years ago.

The bag has a handle that can go from one shoulder across the chest so that the bag portion is resting on my hip. This was great. On public transit I just brought it my front.

Hubby carried his money in his money clip, put it in his front pocket.

No problems. Back to Europe in Oct. and we'll do the same.

small change - up to 30 euro - that you would not sweat about losing, can go in a regular purse where it is accessible and away from your 'hidden' supply.

I know people who carry a 'false' purse with lose change and worthless cards that look like credit cards - like your old library ticket or your out of date member cards. If you are ever confronted by a mugger you can give them this and they are not going to stop and check. At least you have a chance of not getting hurt.

I remember once when I had a handbag stolen, I was really annoyed until I realised that I had accidentally left my purse at home that day. A lucky thief got away with a packet of soup in a mug, a supermarket version strawberry yogurt and 2 or 3 toys from McDonalds. That really cheered me up :D

Even better idea is to (also) scan all your important travel docs, ID, and credit cards into .jpg files and email them to yourself at a webmail address (Gmail, Yahoo, etc.). That way, full info is readily available on-line, even if you lose your wallet, backpack, or suitcase.

Fantastic idea! THREE CHEERS!!!!!!!!!!! We will be sure and do just this before our upcoming trip! That way everything is in one neat file that can be accessed anywhere in the world!

I know people who carry a 'false' purse with lose change and worthless cards that look like credit cards - like your old library ticket or your out of date member cards. If you are ever confronted by a mugger you can give them this and they are not going to stop and check. At least you have a chance of not getting hurt.

Guys can do the same with a dummy wallet in the back pocket. They will go for that before the real one in your front pocket.

Dear friends:

Just walk around with the same precautions you would take at home, on your job, walking around your cities, etc.

Do you walk around your home cities wearing neck wallets, money belts, and all that stuff?

Just take normal, everyday precautions and have a good time. Every large city in the world has pickpockets and street crime. European cities as a whole, and especially the Spanish cities because of the meal times and nightlife schedule, are much safer than New York, Miami, Chicago, Los Angeles and San Francisco, for example.

Here in Barcelona, just be extra careful in the area of Las Ramblas and the Gothic Quarter. This is the area you tourists basically love and believe to be all of Barcelona, while those of us who live here don't like that neighborhood. This is the neighborhood where most of the tourist-aimed pickpocketing takes place.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I go with a small amount of cash in a front pocket. Spare cash, documents etc. in neck pouch but do not wear a neck pouch visibly - a surprising number of people do.

Personal security is where people travelling in couples or with friends have a real advantage. Split money between you, carry different credit cards, (so if one has to be cancelled the other will still work) each have photocopies of both passports, and stand behind your partner when they are using ATMs (stops someone else looking over the shoulder, and finding out the PIN before grabbing the card.) This applies to the world, not just any particular location, although more of my friends seem to have encountered problems in the las Ramblas area of Barcelona than anywhere else, and I have had a the side pocket of a backpack interfered with there (hope the thieves found the peppermints and Kleenex useful!).

I also stash some more cash in my Rick Steves inspired back pack, which I can swing around from my shoulder to under my arm when crowds start getting thick.

I have been looking for some sort of (secure) backpack to carry while in Barcelona. I don't want to carry my purse and camera, so I thought about just putting everything into some sort of bag. Is there really a Rick Steve's backpack and where are they sold?

Tilley(the hat people) also have clothing.They make both pants and shorts that have a pocket within a front pocket that is velcrosed closed. A pickpocket would have to get his/her hand in your pocket and undo the velcro.They refer to them as pick pocket resistant. I keep some money and passport in a money belt but leave a credit card and some spending money in the velco pocket.It has worked well for us.

We heard this too. Put money in a velcro pocket, too much trouble for a pick pocketer. Just be street savy.

Peggy

Dear friends:

Just walk around with the same precautions you would take at home, on your job, walking around your cities, etc.

Do you walk around your home cities wearing neck wallets, money belts, and all that stuff?

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

I would hazard a guess that none of us walks around our home city dragging a digital camera, a video camera, a guidebook, a backback, water bottles, and a map looking up, down, over, around, etc. as we tour the streets, ride the subways/buses, or search for a specific address. Therefore, since we are not concentrating completely on our belongings but rather on our surroundings, it makes sense to be somewhat more careful with our money and personal items while traveling than it would at home.

Barcelona is a beautiful city and we felt quite comfortable there, but we tried to always be aware of the people around us and take note of where our belongings were at all times. By using neck wallets, money belts, etc. (which I confess I purchased but did not use), travelers feel that at least some of their more valuable items are secure from theft. If taking these and other precautions makes the traveler feel more comfortable, then I say go for it and enjoy your trip!

Karen

It is good to be very savvy and aware. My family just returned from Italy. The very first day on the bus, she had her camera stolen. someone was trying to warn them about the pickpockets on board by putting his fingers to his eyes, but they were not aware of what that meant. Within one stop the pickpocket(s) had gone through all six travelers bags, purses and backpacks. No money or identification was lost because they had it on a neck wallet. It was a hard lesson learned.

It is good to be very savvy and aware. My family just returned from Italy. The very first day on the bus, she had her camera stolen. someone was trying to warn them about the pickpockets on board by putting his fingers to his eyes, but they were not aware of what that meant. Within one stop the pickpocket(s) had gone through all six travelers bags, purses and backpacks. No money or identification was lost because they had it on a neck wallet. It was a hard lesson learned.

WOW!! Scary. I'll just be really careful, although we think we are but...

I've never had to deal with this before. I have heard so many stories. it seems Rome is the worst.

Peggy

Yes, there certainly is a Rick Steves backpack. We ordered ours online from his web site and it is filled with wonderful products and tips for overseas travel. You will find the website to be very helpful to you before traveling. The back pack that we bought was the smallest one but is large enough for a light jacket, camera, small purse (that can be attached to a ring in the bottom of the pack) and water bottles etc. Check out the website...you won't be disappointed.

Archived