Importance of balcony

sdf89

We are considering a cruise New York to Montreal. How much can you see the coastline while traveling up the coast? And is a balcony very helpful (like in Alaska) for the St. Lawrence Seaway?

Island Princess 1983
Dawn Princess 1998
Ocean Princess 2002
Enchantment of the Seas 3/04

• 3 months later...
I dont know that it is helpful, but I love balconies, and am not sure I would get one on a fall New England toour. It can get chilly, and it would not be worth the extra money, IMHO, to get a balcony, just an outside stateroom

I disagree. We were in Alaska and used our balcony even though it was very cold. We are going on our cruise to New England/Canada Oct. 3 and have booked 2 balconies. I can't wait to go out on the balcony even if it is for short periods at a time.

We had a balcony last year because we got such a great rate on it (699) and we were blessed with some lovely, relatively warm weather. However, that being said, I wouldn't get a balcony again if it meant missing this itinerary. We cruise often so go for the inexpensive accommodations. I would want an ocean view if possible but because the weather can be iffy, IMHO this is not a destination where a balcony is a "must"...

I don't think a balcony for this cruise is "a must", but we, too, enjoyed our balcony in Alaska and have one for our Oct. Can/NE cruise. We took a great many pictures from our balcony last time, and also found it a convenient way to gauge the weather before heading out to the deck or going on excursions. If we needed to add or subtract a layer of clothing we just had to step inside to do so.
Shae

You likely won't see much of the U.S. coastline -- but in Canada, the St. Lawrence is a completely different story as you will be able to see land on both sides.

Note that if you go late in the season, it can get pretty chilly and windy in the evening when the ship is moving. On one of our C/NE cruises (in late Oct) it was windy enough for the Captain to request that all balcony doors be kept closed at night.

• 7 months later...
We didn't know to look but we visited the falls as part of a tour and I would think if there was enough light you should be able to see the falls when the ship passes them. There is a large bridge that the ship would go under right after passing the falls if you are going towards Quebec. The Falls would be on the Starboard side or the right side of the ship.

Have a great next cruise.

Archived