Questions about Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway

staufj22

Hi All,

So I've been really lagging on booking excursions, and my cruise date is sneaking up on me. I'm leaving June 9th to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway, and a land tour afterwards. We're a mid-20s couple, and looking for something unique to Alaska.

Here are some of my ideas, and I welcome any suggestions and recommendations.

Ketchikan - I've finally narrowed it down to either Misty Fjords Flightseeing or the Rain Forest Zipline. Since we'll be there for only a short time (6:30AM to 2:00PM)

Juneau - Looks like most people are doing the whale watching, but not a priority for us, since we did whale watching in Hawaii and Australia last year. The glacier/dog sledding looks interesting, but looks like this is more of a helocopter experience than dog sledding? We have some time in Fairbanks later on, and plan to visit a dog musher camp. Only other "tour" might be the zipline. For Mendenhal and Mt. Roberts Tram, we plan on going on our own. Any suggestions on other activities?

Skagway - Maybe rent a car and drive to Emerald lake? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have about a day and a half in Fairbanks. Part of those is taken up by the Riverboat tour. Should we cancel this and just go on our own? I plan to rent a car here as well, how long does it take to drive to the arctic circle?

Hi All,

So I've been really lagging on booking excursions, and my cruise date is sneaking up on me. I'm leaving June 9th to Ketchikan, Juneau, and Skagway, and a land tour afterwards. We're a mid-20s couple, and looking for something unique to Alaska.

Ketchikan - I've finally narrowed it down to either Misty Fjords Flightseeing or the Rain Forest Zipline. Since we'll be there for only a short time (6:30AM to 2:00PM)

Juneau - Looks like most people are doing the whale watching, but not a priority for us, since we did whale watching in Hawaii and Australia last year. The glacier/dog sledding looks interesting, but looks like this is more of a helocopter experience than dog sledding? We have some time in Fairbanks later on, and plan to visit a dog musher camp. Only other "tour" might be the zipline. For Mendenhal and Mt. Roberts Tram, we plan on going on our own. Any suggestions on other activities?

Skagway - Maybe rent a car and drive to Emerald lake? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We have about a day and a half in Fairbanks. Part of those is taken up by the Riverboat tour. Should we cancel this and just go on our own? I plan to rent a car here as well, how long does it take to drive to the arctic circle?

We took the Misty Fjords flightseeing and really enjoyed it last summer. If you like the ziplining, that would probably be lots of fun - just not my kind of thing. I would book either one very soon. Might already be decided for you if one is sold out.

If you like hiking, Mendenhall has some good trails.

If you want to rent a car in Skagway, try to book Avis NOW - they have a limited number of cars in Skagway. We did that last year and we really enjoyed it.

Driving from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle is tough - you need a special vehicle that is meant for off-road driving, with a couple of spare tires, etc. If you do a search for "Arctic Circle" in the title you will find a few threads that talk about it.

Driving from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle is tough - you need a special vehicle that is meant for off-road driving, with a couple of spare tires, etc. If you do a search for "Arctic Circle" in the title you will find a few threads that talk about it.

I probably won't bother with the Arctic Circle then. I plan on visiting one of the dog mushing camps, are there any other places within easy driving distance? We have basically 1 day, our flight out leaves 9pm.

>>Driving from Fairbanks to the Arctic Circle is tough - you need a special vehicle that is meant for off-road driving, with a couple of spare tires, etc.<<

The Dalton Highway is merely a road with lots of gravel stretches. Princess uses the same coaches they run on the Interstates, and dozens of semis, motorhomes and regular cars use it every day. However, only a couple of rental agencies allow their cars on any gravel road, including the Dalton ( http://www.explorenorth.com/autos-ak-dalton.html ). The drive from Fairbanks is about 5 hours each way

Murray

Hi All,

In Skagway, we booked a tour with Southeasttours.com - It is called the Yukon Horseback Adventure. It sounds like a great drive up to Emerald Lake and then you stop at Emerald Lake Ranch and ride horseback for 2 hours at the Lake and then they drive you back. It is a 6 hour tour and it costs $175 per person. Joni, the cowgirl (for lack of a better word) gets a great rap here on these boards. She and I have been communicating a bit. She mentioned that the train tour is "more for old people"..... Since you are young, maybe you would enjoy the horseback tour. It has to be booked independently from the ship.

Whatever you do in Skagway, do not take the train ride. It is very lame. It was recommended to us by quite a few people when we were there on our cruise, so we did it. It is a total snooze!

Carol

Whatever you do in Skagway, do not take the train ride. It is very lame. It was recommended to us by quite a few people when we were there on our cruise, so we did it. It is a total snooze!

Different strokes - I've been on it more than a dozen times and will be back on it in a couple of weeks. It's considered to be one of the top 10 rail trips on earth, and has been the top-selling Alaska excursion for much of the last century (except for a few years when they shut down).

Murray

Carol

Guess I must be old - because the excursion I'm most looking forward to is the train to Carcross!

Hi All,

Juneau - The glacier/dog sledding looks interesting, but looks like this is more of a helocopter experience than dog sledding? We have some time in Fairbanks later on, and plan to visit a dog musher camp. Only other "tour" might be the zipline. For Mendenhal and Mt. Roberts Tram, we plan on going on our own. Any suggestions on other activities?

Juneau - We're taking the glacier/dog sledding , but there are several tours heli/glacier landing/hiking (not dog sledding), which I've read are pretty awesome too.

Skawgay - We're doing a Hike and Float

Hope your enjoy your trip:cool:

Hi All,

"Juneau - The glacier/dog sledding looks interesting, but looks like this is more of a helocopter experience than dog sledding? We have some time in Fairbanks later on, and plan to visit a dog musher camp. Only other "tour" might be the zipline. For Mendenhal and Mt. Roberts Tram, we plan on going on our own. Any suggestions on other activities?

Skagway - Maybe rent a car and drive to Emerald lake? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated."

My 2 cts.

Juneau - We're taking the glacier/dog sledding , but there are several tours heli/glacier landing/hiking (not dog sledding), which I've read are pretty awesome too.

Skawgay - We're doing a Hike and Float

Hope you enjoy your trip:cool:

We did the misty fjords in 2004. It was absolutely beautiful. They touch down to a platform in the middle of nowhere. Unspoiled beauty!

I got a little nauseous about 30 minutes in so 45 minutes was perfect! I have a wimpy stomach even though my mind is up for anything.

I warn you and anyone away from the Saxman Native Village tour. The totem poles were interesting but the "village" was a tourist trap.

In Juneau, we did the whale watch and loved it. We went up the tramway for a close up look at an eagle and gorgeous views.

In Skagway, we did the yukon pass and train back - my mom's favorite place in the world so far!

I couldn't believe what I was reading - we are also doing a June 9 cruise to Alaska, and I cannot decide which excursions to book, so have not done any so far. What ship are you on? We are on the Golden Princess. I have been talked out of the dog sledding in Juneau, and have heard pros and cons about a helicopter and glacier landing. I will probably book the train in Skagway, but cannot decide if I should take the 3 hour or the 7-8 hour tour. I have some concerns about renting a car to do the drive ourselves. Any recommendations would be most welcome! We are a family of 5 - my dh, myself, and our 3 children, ages 20, 24, and 33. Thanks - Penny

We have been on the glacier landing/dog sled from Juneau and it was wonderful. A beautiful 15 minute helicopter ride to the camp, 45 minute dog sleding. Lots and lots of fun. Then a 15 minute ride back. We would do it again in a heartbeat.

In Skagway, we booked a tour with Southeasttours.com - It is called the Yukon Horseback Adventure. It sounds like a great drive up to Emerald Lake and then you stop at Emerald Lake Ranch and ride horseback for 2 hours at the Lake and then they drive you back. It is a 6 hour tour and it costs $175 per person. Joni, the cowgirl (for lack of a better word) gets a great rap here on these boards. She and I have been communicating a bit. She mentioned that the train tour is "more for old people"..... Since you are young, maybe you would enjoy the horseback tour. It has to be booked independently from the ship.

Since you are renting a car to drive to Emerald lake, you can arrange the horseback riding directly with Joni. her website is www.yukonhorses.com

It is 2 hr horse back ride.

Since you are renting a car to drive to Emerald lake, you can arrange the horseback riding directly with Joni. her website is www.yukonhorses.com

It is 2 hr horse back ride.

I'm not sure if your suggestion is for the OP or cruzy-sue! It sounds like cruzy-sue will get to Emerald Lake via the tour company's bus. The OP is considering renting a car for the drive to Emerald Lake, but hasn't decided what to do there.

I'm not sure if your suggestion is for the OP or cruzy-sue! It sounds like cruzy-sue will get to Emerald Lake via the tour company's bus. The OP is considering renting a car for the drive to Emerald Lake, but hasn't decided what to do there.

Nancy, sorry.. I was trying to answer OP's question, then saw Sue's reply and quoted there.. :)

I couldn't believe what I was reading - we are also doing a June 9 cruise to Alaska, and I cannot decide which excursions to book, so have not done any so far. What ship are you on? We are on the Golden Princess. I have been talked out of the dog sledding in Juneau, and have heard pros and cons about a helicopter and glacier landing. I will probably book the train in Skagway, but cannot decide if I should take the 3 hour or the 7-8 hour tour. I have some concerns about renting a car to do the drive ourselves. Any recommendations would be most welcome! We are a family of 5 - my dh, myself, and our 3 children, ages 20, 24, and 33. Thanks - Penny

We're on the Diamond Princess, so I guess both ships leave on the same day.

I finally did book some stuff.

For Ketchikan, we're booked on a flight seeing with Southeast Aviation. For Skagway, I've reserved a car with Avis.

I think for Juneau, I'm just going to see if the zipline stuff is available, and then maybe do some of the other stuff like the tram on our own.

We're on the Diamond Princess, so I guess both ships leave on the same day.

I finally did book some stuff.

For Ketchikan, we're booked on a flight seeing with Southeast Aviation. For Skagway, I've reserved a car with Avis.

I think for Juneau, I'm just going to see if the zipline stuff is available, and then maybe do some of the other stuff like the tram on our own.

Here are the webpages for the 2 zipline companies in Juneau:

Alaska Zipline Adventures: http://www.alaskazip.com/

Alaska Canopy Adventures: http://www.alaskacanopyadventures.com/

There are a few zipline threads going on right now on the first 2 pages... Have a great cruise! :)

Guess I must be old - because the excursion I'm most looking forward to is the train to Carcross!

Count me as old. Booked the Carcross train run at 25, going when I'm 26. I don't know much about trains - just been on one before in northern Ontario that was FANTASTIC, but am really looking forward to the trip. Even if it wasn't the most sought after excursion in Skagway, I would still take it.

There's adventure in it...*smile* you can lean off the last car or inbetween cars, there's a thrill! ;) To each his own, but I think it'll be superb!

Count me as old. Booked the Carcross train run at 25, going when I'm 26. I don't know much about trains - just been on one before in northern Ontario that was FANTASTIC, but am really looking forward to the trip. Even if it wasn't the most sought after excursion in Skagway, I would still take it.

There's adventure in it...*smile* you can lean off the last car or inbetween cars, there's a thrill! ;) To each his own, but I think it'll be superb!

I was just quoting what Joni at Yukon Horse Adventure said to me. We almost boooked the train (not old either) but I really wanted to see Emerald Lake - and the train doesn't go there. Plus I think the train ride might be too long in one place for me! ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ

We almost boooked the train (not old either) but I really wanted to see Emerald Lake - and the train doesn't go there. Plus I think the train ride might be too long in one place for me! ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ

The train doesn't go to Emerald Lake, but the rail/bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters does stop there on the way back to Skagway. You're right - it is a long train ride, and I'm glad the trip is broken up by lunch in Lake Bennett.

I was just quoting what Joni at Yukon Horse Adventure said to me. We almost boooked the train (not old either) but I really wanted to see Emerald Lake - and the train doesn't go there. Plus I think the train ride might be too long in one place for me! ZZZ ZZZ ZZZ

Ours isn't just the train. I admit it's long. Our excursion is 9hrs. We are bused back from Carcross and we stop at Emerald Lake and other places. I figure it's the best of both worlds. Relaxing on the train and stop lots on the way back.

The train doesn't go to Emerald Lake, but the rail/bus excursion with Chilkoot Charters does stop there on the way back to Skagway. You're right - it is a long train ride, and I'm glad the trip is broken up by lunch in Lake Bennett.

Me too re: Lake Bennett & I like that you can only get there by train. It makes it unique and special to me at least :) Especially after I heard what lunch was apparently like at the Caribou Crossing!

Archived