After all the waiting got my cabin assigment, help?

HALNEWBY

Hello fellow Cruise Critics,

After all my waiting and months of speculating I finally got my cabin assigned...Oosterdam

I got bumped from a VH guaranteed in the promenade deck to a VA in the Navigation deck. The cabin is just below the pool and near the stern...

1. Is this a bad cabin area?

2. Will I hear those motors running?

3. Will I feel alot of vibration?

4 Is the sound of Lido activities going to be a bother?

5. Am I just far away from every thing?

I always feared of getting one of the 4 VH cabins for they were right in the stern...now I got bumped all the way to the back

HELP!!

1. Not necessarily, but you may get some noise when they are cleaning the deck or moving chairs, otherwise it will probably be fine

2. No, you're 7 decks up and they are more towards the center of the ship

The vista ships have large Wartsila diesel engines, 5 or 6 if I remember correctly, which drive electric generators for the ships power. The Azipods driving the ship are electrically powered , like large outboard motors. They are not a conventional shaft based propellor so they produce less vibration.

3. No you really shouldnt fell much if any vibration that high up

4. Not sure about Lido noice our room was 5182 an aft VA and we had little noise from the Lido drift down to us. You're right underneath so you may get some, but I wouldnt think it would be much. The rooms had better sound insulation than i expected.

5. I look at it as exercise :) but you are one deck down from Lido for meals taken there, and 4 decks up from the main dining room, so if stairs arent a problem its a quick walk down there. The only thing really far is the Vista lounge

Thanks for the prompt response...

I have another question i forgot to post. Do you think that I am going to feel much movement if the seas get rough being all the way in the back?

IMO you are much better off with the VA. The VH are in the very front in the bow (not the stern), the roughest place you can be in choppy seas, and near nothing. In the VA you are one floor down from the Lido and a quick ride or walk to the dining room. Much better location- that's why they are VAs and not VH. :)

I always feared of getting one of the 4 VH cabins for they were right in the stern...now I got bumped all the way to the back

HELP!!

The 4 VH cabins are at the extreme forward end of Deck 4 (not the stern)

The VA you have is no farther away from anything than the VH's...

You might take some time and familiarize yourself with a deckplan...

http://www.hollandamerica.com/fleet/deckPlan.do?ship=os&deck=m&year=next

IMO you are much better off with the VA. The VH are in the very front in the bow (not the stern), the roughest place you can be in choppy seas, and near nothing. In the VA you are one floor down from the Lido and a quick ride or walk to the dining room. Much better location- that's why they are VAs and not VH. :)

Thankyou for your assuring remarks...

Do you think this will affect my Hubbard Glacier viewing in any way??

We were in 7124 on the Noordam, which is not directly under the pool deck so I can't address that issue, but we had no noise/vibration/motion problems. I prefer being at the "food" end of the ship!

When you are at Hubbard do NOT stay on your own verandah! Get up on the sports or sky decks where you can see soooo much more! :D

I dont know about for viewing from the veranda as we havent been on our Alaska trip yet. However most panoramic views will be better observed from the bow, crows nest, or anywhere topside like the observation or sports decks

We were in 7124 on the Noordam, which is not directly under the pool deck so I can't address that issue, but we had no noise/vibration/motion problems. I prefer being at the "food" end of the ship!

I guess that you could say that your overall experience in that area was a good one?

I guess that you could say that your overall experience in that area was a good one?
Yes, we loved the location. Note a p.s. that I added to my last post that you may not have seen. :)

We had an aft veranda and the best viewing IMO, on the ship. We had glaciers in our back yard. We were on deck 5 and did hear an occasional rumble but did not feel any motion until the morning we were getting into Sitka, and it was a side to side motion so they were probably close enough to land to take the stabilizers in (if they use them at all in Alaskan waters). It was a nice rocking motion and we went right back to sleep.

The place for the least motion on board is midships on a very low deck.

We sailed from Seattle so we had the Pacific to deal with but it was very calm on our sailing.

GN

Note a p.s. that I added to my last post that you may not have seen. :)

I will definetly take your adivice on the added note. Will head out to higher ground...Just thought it might be cool to just sit on the balcony without having to fight anyone for viewing space:)

Thanks for your response:D:D:D

We had an aft veranda and the best viewing IMO, on the ship. We had glaciers in our back yard. We were on deck 5 and did hear an occasional rumble but did not feel any motion until the morning we were getting into Sitka, and it was a side to side motion so they were probably close enough to land to take the stabilizers in (if they use them at all in Alaskan waters). It was a nice rocking motion and we went right back to sleep.

The place for the least motion on board is midships on a very low deck.

We sailed from Seattle so we had the Pacific to deal with but it was very calm on our sailing.

GN

glad to hear that, we have 5180 this time! and my inlaws have 5182 right next door! :) so we can open the divider and imagine we have Lisa's much beloved 5187 :p

Do you think this will affect my Hubbard Glacier viewing in any way??

Go out side.

In addition to the decks others have suggested, I suggest going out on the Promenade Deck. From that vantage point you can look up in awe at the size of the glacier. Also, you're closer to sea level when the glacier calves and it makes the ship rock. What fun! :)

We were in the old 5186 aft port corner. The folks in the crow's nest had a front view BUT when the ship turned....

They also had to contend with fogged windows, and it was raining hard but intermittently so those outside all needed umbrellas, whole lotta pking going on......

Want to see glaciers up close, look at this

http://community.webshots.com/album/554456434vmsmzT

GN

I will take into consideration all of your advice...

Definetly leaning towards doing all my glacier watching outside...

Although a bit off topic I also wanted to know your thoughts on which night I should skip dinner and do the pinnacle grill?

I will take into consideration all of your advice...

Definetly leaning towards doing all my glacier watching outside...

Although a bit off topic I also wanted to know your thoughts on which night I should skip dinner and do the pinnacle grill?

Great pics GN!!

As for the PG I was already leaning toward not doing it at all based on what I've read here. But now that we have the SA we will do breakfast in there several times so we get to experience it and not miss anything in the main DR for dinner:D

Sweet upgrade! That's supposedly the best of the veranda category. We cruised VA starboard aft on Westerdam, and never heard any engine noise, never felt vibration, and never heard any deck furniture. Never even knew about thrusters. VERY quiet area.

We were on the 3rd level of Maasdam on the next cruise, and DH almost flipped out because the thruster sound and vibration was incredible when idling and leaving port in Norfolk. He thought that was going to be the engine noise and shake that we'd feel for the whole cruise! LOL! It turned out to be just fine though, as the thrusters only run for a short time.

Hello fellow Cruise Critics,

After all my waiting and months of speculating I finally got my cabin assigned...Oosterdam

I got bumped from a VH guaranteed in the promenade deck to a VA in the Navigation deck. The cabin is just below the pool and near the stern...

1. Is this a bad cabin area?

2. Will I hear those motors running?

3. Will I feel alot of vibration?

4 Is the sound of Lido activities going to be a bother?

HELP!!

Please, please, let this happen to us! When are you sailing? We don't have a cabin assignment yet and I would love to get an aft VA cabin :)

Please, please, let this happen to us! When are you sailing? We don't have a cabin assignment yet and I would love to get an aft VA cabin :)

I am on her a week before yours...It was quite a surprise...no call from my travel agent...just popped up on my hal account good luck!!!

Archived