Poseidon or Apollo

We will be in Athens all day and I was wondering if anybody has been to either of the above named temples? We would like to spend a half day in Athens, followed by a half day outside the city. Given the choice, which would you choose?

Thanks,

Ron

We will be in Athens all day and I was wondering if anybody has been to either of the above named temples? We would like to spend a half day in Athens, followed by a half day outside the city. Given the choice, which would you choose?

Thanks,

Ron

Well,The Temple of Apollo is in the Ancient Agora in Athens and the Agora itself offers a lot to see besides the Temple.I don't see how you can see all the sights there is to see in Athens in half a day,but if that is what you want then you must know that the Temple of Poseidon is quite a drive away in Sournion on the coast and it is just columns left more or less.I am sure someone who has done both in a day will reply,but there is more to see in the Agora.

The Temple of Poseidon is a good distance outside Athens. Our tour on April 26th we left the ship after docking and arrived at the temple after a good hour. The return trip was not any faster and thu felt like we wasted a half day just riding. I would opt to spend the day in Athens at the Acropolis and all that there is in that area and a walk thru if not a sit down lunch in the Plaka. By the way we had the most delicious Gyro in the Plaka area and it was less than 3 Euros for 2.

ronjj66611....You owe me for an Emergency Room visit. I just read your question to my wife and asked about her thoughts on visiting the Temple of Poseidon. I was not finished even asking her your question and she started beating me in the head with a frying pan......laughing.

In all of our travels and cruises, the excursion to the Temple of Poseidon ranks at the bottom or as close to the bottom as one can get. The post by raynvic is as accurate as you can get. It is a long long drive there and once there and you see the sight, it begins to dwell on you that you have to make the long long drive back. Also, like raynvic stated, spend the day in Athens and time in the Plaka area.

Thanks,

Ron

The only thing I know of is the Acropolis. Located around the Acropolis is the Temple of Jupiter--it's the ruins. Nothing is as spectacular as the Acropolis. Not sure what you are referring to exactly....

Cape Sounioun is a lovely setting, but I wouldn't go there if this is your first time in Athens. There is more than enough to see in Athens. We went to Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon on our 2nd visit and it was enjoyable because we didn't want to revisit Athens. You can see pictures of it on our Brilliance Med cruise review on our website www.thepreismans.com .

Lan40, so sorry about your head. But that is how we felt about Athens. :p

Maybe I should have elaborated a little more. We have been to Athens before and were not impressed by it. The Acropolis was nice, but other than that, I thought it to be a rather dirty, congested town. Reminded me too much of L.A., Which is why we condidered going outside of town.

But after reading some of the post, maybe I should dig a little deeper and find out what else besided the Acropolis should be seen. I don't want to spend any more time traveling than I have too as long as there are sites near by worth seeing.

Any more ideas about what to see in Athens would be appreciated. We've been to the presidental palace (yawn!!) and have had lunch in the Plaka, most disgusting bathroom DW has EVER seen, along with a fat sweating disgusting old man waiter with no shirt on. Did not make for a nice lunch!

Ron

Ron,

I don't know where you cruise is going, but on a Black Sea cruise, we left Athens about 4:30pm and sailed by Cap Sounion about 6 or 7 that evening. We had a great view of the Posidon Temple.

Paul

On our Millennium cruise last summer we had one day in Athens. We'd hired a private driver (4 of us) to "do" Athens - we spent the morning at the Acropolis, Olympic stadium (the old "modern" one), the Agora, and Temple of Olympian Zeus. Went by and saw but did not spend time in the plaka. Driver took us to Cape Sounion (took about an hour - some of the drive boring, some very pretty) for the Temple of Poseidon, and we thought it was spectacular. There were so few people there I could actually feel like it was 2500 years ago, not like the Acropolis with the thousands of other visitors (although I wouldn't have missed it either). Then he found us a nice spot for lunch - a taverna with great food and wine - and then drove back to the Millennium. Took a different route back that was quicker - and the air conditioning in the minivan felt pretty good.

Sam

MVP,

Thanks so much for sharing your website - the pictures are great - I can't wait until June 11. And your travel tips were great as well. I copied your packing list - what great ideas!

Any more ideas about what to see in Athens would be appreciated. We've been to the presidental palace (yawn!!) and have had lunch in the Plaka, most disgusting bathroom DW has EVER seen, along with a fat sweating disgusting old man waiter with no shirt on. Did not make for a nice lunch!

Ron

If you're into history the Athens museum is fabulous.

Wander away from the main part of the Plaka, there are some less touristy areas with better food and shopping.

I don't know what else to suggest in Athens itself. I enjoyed my day there but I agree that if I was to go back, I'd probably find something to do outside Athens. Likely an excursion to Corinth and Mycenae.

Thanks everyone for your input. We will more than likely use a guide and see the highlights of Athens, followed by museum and the other parts of Athens that are less touresty.

MVP,

I loved your website, very well put together. My wife scrapbooks, so I have some idea how much work you must have put into it. Very impressive. I will also give the guide you used in Sorrento a try and see if he's available. He sounded great. I like the idea of seeing Pompeii very early before the cruise ship crowd arrives and before the heat of the day. I've been there in July and I remember how hot it was.

Ron

The below areas are all within walking distance of the Acropolis. I think we went down a back driveway after visiting the museums right into the Monastiraki shopping area. We walked through the National Gardens (kind of like Central Park in New York).

"The National Gardens of Athens is the best place to escape the city and with the areas of the

Plaka, Acropolis, Thission, Monastiraki and Psiri all connected by pedestrian streets and parks you barely have to go through Athens to get there."

We did a lot of walking through Athens as our friend had an odd number license plate and the day we went was for even numbered license plates. So he had to park outside the city and then we walked. Get a good map of Athens and enjoy the day. I even enjoyed and took a photo of a "cherry 55 Chevy" someone had restored. Chestnuts roasting on a big bar-b-q. People watching and shopping. Watch out for the pigeons though!

Archived