gizmo - Amsterdam - 2002

We were on the Oct 1 - 22 cruise of the Amsterdam when the Norvo virus broke out. (I read your posts on the Maasdam thread). We did have the suite cocktail party and inspite of the Code Red we did have the suite dinner and suite luncheon.

The Captain for our cruise was Dick van der Berg and the Hotel Manager was Henk Mensink.

Hi KK,

I do remember you were on that repositioning cruise when the noro broke out.

I responded on that thread because Sails said she never heard of such a thing. (not having a luncheon or suite dinner)

The only thing they had was the cocktail party the first night. There was no luncheon, dinner, VIP party , NADA.

We weren't even under Code Red. I have been on ships under Code Red and always had something, be it a luncheon or suite dinner or both.

I did ask about it, and the concierge told us it was because they were getting ready for the World Cruise. IMO that was NOT a valid excuse. They weren't even leaving for the WC when our cruise ended.

The same excuse was given by the front desk for the closing of the aft pool, :mad: which they finally opened because of the many complaints.

There were lots of things wrong on this cruise. It was so bad we doubted if we would get on a Hal ship again. We decided to try one more time and the following cruise was 100% better.

Mr. Gizmo refuses to get on any ship that is scheduled for a WC. ;)

Just because a ship is ging to be doing a Wold Cruise is no reason that everything should have been cut out.

Now I will have to worry about what will be cut out from our 26 day Amazon cruise as that one ends on Dec 19 and shortly after that she begins either a WC or around South America. Don't think I will tell DH about this.

This is so Funny, KK.....

You sailed Amsterdam just before Gizmo and you had Suite Lunch, Suite Dinner and Suite Cocktail.

WE cruised just after Gizmo, back-to-back, and BOTH of our cruises we had Suite Lunch, Suite Dinner and Suite Cocktail.

Hers was the only cruise in that time period that she doesn't remember having those things.

I still have never heard of it until she wrote that yesterday.........

Our two cruises immediately preceded World Cruise which embarked the day we left the ship. So, World Cruise had nothing to do with her memory of not having had those events. WE had them for both our cruises.

Just because a ship is ging to be doing a Wold Cruise is no reason that everything should have been cut out.

Now I will have to worry about what will be cut out from our 26 day Amazon cruise as that one ends on Dec 19 and shortly after that she begins either a WC or around South America. Don't think I will tell DH about this.

KK..... Not something you have to worry about. See my preceding post. We missed out on nothing on our Amsterdam cruises which immediately preceded World Cruise. Both of our cruises were all we expected and were accustomed to.

You'll have a fabulous cruise, I'm sure.

We were on the Amsterdam on December 11, 2002. I remember having a suite dinner but I can't remember if we had anything else at that time. However, we were also on the Amsterdam this year, January 2 - 14 for a 12 day cruise right before the world cruise. We did not have a suite dinner (which I understand has been discontinued) but we did have a suite lunch and welcome party in the Neptune Lounge. I don't know if they had a VIP party because we did not get an invitation. We were surprised because we are always invited because we have over 100 days on HAL and travel in a suite.

Another thought would be that maybe they just didn't send you an invitation and the concierge is trying to cover it up. On the Zuiderdam one time we were not invited to the suite luncheon and found out from a friend later in the day that they had attended. When we complained, we were told they were sorry for the oversight and we received a plate of chocolate covered strawberries. Big deal!

So that now accounts for the three cruises immediately preceding WC that year. Thanks for 'filling in the blanks', KAKcruiser. I think you might have a point that perhaps it was an error and Giz and her DH did not receive invitations. I'm sure that happens from time to time.

This is so Funny, KK.....

You sailed Amsterdam just before Gizmo and you had Suite Lunch, Suite Dinner and Suite Cocktail.

WE cruised just after Gizmo, back-to-back, and BOTH of our cruises we had Suite Lunch, Suite Dinner and Suite Cocktail.

Hers was the only cruise in that time period that she doesn't remember having those things.

I still have never heard of it until she wrote that yesterday.........

Our two cruises immediately preceded World Cruise which embarked the day we left the ship. So, World Cruise had nothing to do with her memory of not having had those events. WE had them for both our cruises.

There was NO ERROR. Ha Ha !! There is NOTHING funny about either. Maybe to you it is but not me or Mr. Gizmo.

I am perfectly aware that your cruise had them because I remember you posting how "wonderful" your cruise was and nothing like mine.

Because you and others had them does not mean our cruise did not. Thousands of cruises have them every year.

This is not the type of thing someone forgets. To be told it was because they were getting ready for the world cruise is not something you forget either.

The World Cruise had a LOT to do with what was wrong on my cruise.

KK,

I wouldn't worry about it. I believe it was a one time thing.

KAKcruiser,

That was a very feasable explaination. I would even consider it but 2 other couples in suites had the same experience. Is it possible that 3 suites were forgotten ? maybe

If this was the case, it was pretty ugly and way out of line to be told it was because they were getting ready for the World Cruise.

It is a FACT that the concierge who is married to an HM told me it was because they were getting ready for the World Cruise.

It is a FACT that 2 other couples did not receive an invitation either.

I was there, you weren't.

And 5 years isn't THAT long ago. :)

It is possible that the Amsterdam crew was overwhelmed with all the trouble they had at that time with the illness and made changes in their usual way of doing things. I fully understand that HAL is not to blame for the virus but I also understand that people wait a long time and pay a lot of money for vacations and want it to be 100%. The "getting ready for the world cruise" would be a poor excuse for not providing what a passenger is expecting.

Thw first time we did not have a suite dinner was when we got on the Rotterdam in April 2003 for a 16 day Orinoco Cruise.

We were told that it was being discontinued because the Odysey had been changed over to the Pinnacle Grill and they could not afford to close down the Pinnacle for one night.

Since this was the first cruise affected by the new Pinnacle and $20 per person, many people were up in arms and refused to pay the price. Many nights the place was nearly empty. One of the nights we went, there was only one other couple there besides ourselves!!!!

KK,

Thanks. We save all our things too. ;)

KAK,

Thanks. We had the same thoughts but agree that was no excuse. :)

Bookworm,

I agree with you. Yes, that person should know. :)

Archived