Traditional British Tucker on P&O

NSWP

Can anybody out there tell me if they serve traditiional Brit tucker on board P&O ships, e.g. - Pork pies, smoked haddock, ploughmans lunches, fish and chips, roast dinners, yorkshire puds, baked beans etc. I liked all of those when I visited UK. Looking at doing a P&O cruise from Southampton to the Med next year and as a foodie, I would like to hear about the food on P&O.

Best wishes from downunder.:cool:

Hi NSWP,

Here are copies of menu's from our cruise on Oceana last summer.

As you can see they do a wide range of what you call "traditional British tucker" and to allay your worries we also saw smoked haddock available at breakfast time in the Plaza buffet, much to my nieces disgust I even had it on a couple of mornings!! I can't comment on the availability in the main restaurants but guess if it's available in one place it will be available in another.

I presume you would be able to construct a ploughmans from the items available in the buffet restaurant though you may not be able to get pickled onions! If sailing from Southampton you could always go to a local supermarket to buy pickled onions and Branston pickle before you board the ship - then you could construct your own full ploughmans lunch!!

Whatever food they serve on your cruise I'm sure you will have an excellent holiday and I was unable to find fault with the meals onboard Oceana.

Feebee_71:)

791906907_cruisemenu12_001.jpg.2a1bfdfafebbd134ab79b5aad3f993fe.jpg

1234946005_cruisemenu3_001.jpg.2dc97ecedfc1f49a9ecc83ed5d1aba0a.jpg

764819044_cruisemenu9_001.jpg.5e0ce0e1c663ccf6673987c0592ccaef.jpg

762601052_cruisemenu4001.jpg.3582306e7426646912504980da5638fc.jpg

276869746_cruisemenu13_001.jpg.588b9052e1bce60d9bf7aad82e1b260e.jpg

... if you have a few days ashore in the UK you will find much better examples of British Food craft in some of the traditiional dishes you've described then the sometimes disappointing offerings on board.

Also, avoid most chain restaurants and pubs - as again these often disappoint when it comes to REAL food.

Derek “The Monocled Mutineer” Kane

|||||

o Q

<

\__/

|>o<|

Hi NSWP,

Here are copies of menu's from our cruise on Oceana last summer.

As you can see they do a wide range of what you call "traditional British tucker" and to allay your worries we also saw smoked haddock available at breakfast time in the Plaza buffet, much to my nieces disgust I even had it on a couple of mornings!! I can't comment on the availability in the main restaurants but guess if it's available in one place it will be available in another.

I presume you would be able to construct a ploughmans from the items available in the buffet restaurant though you may not be able to get pickled onions! If sailing from Southampton you could always go to a local supermarket to buy pickled onions and Branston pickle before you board the ship - then you could construct your own full ploughmans lunch!!

Whatever food they serve on your cruise I'm sure you will have an excellent holiday and I was unable to find fault with the meals onboard Oceana.

[ATTACH]44626[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]44627[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]44628[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]44629[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]44630[/ATTACH]

Feebee thanks soooo much for the menu post.

I am hoping to do Oceana later this year so was very excited to see you had posted menu's but unfortunatly they are way to small to read has anyone else found this......... or am i just computer illiterate!:D

lou

Hi Fiona!

Baked beans at breakfast, ummm,

Here is a dinner menu:

Hot Asparagus mouuse with steamed Asparagus spears

Goats Cheese and spring onion Parfait with oat cakes

Cream of pumpkin soup with sour cream and ciabatta croutons

Chicken and sweetcorn soup with noodles

-----------

Champagne Sorbet

------------

Rock Lobster tail thermidor with saffron rice

Roast fillet of Beef with red onion marmalade

Supreme of Duck with grand marnier Jus and a fondant potato

Pot roast Venison with juniper berry sauce, celeriac puree and fondant potato

Mixed Mushroom, leek and pine nut pancakes (v)

-----------

Hot Chocolate Fondant with white choc sauce

Fresh Strawberies and cream

Selection of miniture lemon desserts (glazed lemon tart with masarpne cream, lemon Bavarois, lemon meringue)

Ass ice creams

Compote of Apricot in a sangria syrup

A selection of cheeses

---------

fresh brewed coffee/tea

Ass Chocolate truffles

(Grilled Steak, salmon & chicken breast always available)

Photos of the asp mousse, lob therm and trio of lemon sweets from menu are photographed on my photosite: http://www.sveale.photosite.com on the Arcadia cruise album

Sue

Loobyloouk,

If you want me to I'll email them to you (I have 13 night's worth on my PC).I didn't realise they would come up so small!!

In fact if anyone wants copies of them they can email me at fiona_rolls@hotmail.co.uk

Feebee_71

P.S. there is an underscore (_) between the fiona and the rolls.

feebee_71

Hi Fiona!

Baked beans at breakfast, ummm,

Here is a dinner menu:

Hot Asparagus mouuse with steamed Asparagus spears

Goats Cheese and spring onion Parfait with oat cakes

Cream of pumpkin soup with sour cream and ciabatta croutons

Chicken and sweetcorn soup with noodles

-----------

Champagne Sorbet

------------

Rock Lobster tail thermidor with saffron rice

Roast fillet of Beef with red onion marmalade

Supreme of Duck with grand marnier Jus and a fondant potato

Pot roast Venison with juniper berry sauce, celeriac puree and fondant potato

Mixed Mushroom, leek and pine nut pancakes (v)

-----------

Hot Chocolate Fondant with white choc sauce

Fresh Strawberies and cream

Selection of miniture lemon desserts (glazed lemon tart with masarpne cream, lemon Bavarois, lemon meringue)

Ass ice creams

Compote of Apricot in a sangria syrup

A selection of cheeses

---------

fresh brewed coffee/tea

Ass Chocolate truffles

(Grilled Steak, salmon & chicken breast always available)

Photos of the asp mousse, lob therm and trio of lemon sweets from menu are photographed on my photosite: www.sveale.photosite.com on the Arcadia cruise album

Sue

um the ass stuff sounds interesting!!..............is it short for assorted or fat ass.....!!!!!!!!:D :D :D

lou

To all our British Cruise Foodies, thanks for the response. P&O food sounds great, must get on one of their ships, maybe next year. I hope the P&O cooks do not 'NUKE' the bacon, like the Princess Cruise Cooks do, but that is the way Americans like their bacon...burnt to a crisp, beyond recognition.

Best wishes from OZ to those in the 'Olde Dart..Mother England and all that. RULE BRITANNIA :cool:

Did you hear about Sea Princess ? She had engine problems and didn't leave Southampton yesterday evening for her cruise to the Med. Cruise now aborted, and cruisers will leave ship tomorrow (Mon) morning after staying port since Sat night. They get a full refund + 25% off another cruise.

I feel very sorry for the new cruisers who would probably have been waiting a year or so to try this experience and could well of been a special occasion, and also the American and Canadians who had flown all the way over to the UK to commence their Med cruise.

A chap who posted on Cruise Connections said he was off to spend his $400 obc before he left the ship, perhaps some duty free liquor or a trinket for the wife to ease the pain. To make it worse, it has been pouring with heavy rain all day today, so even though they are still onboard, they wouldn't of even been able to go out on deck.

Very sad,

Sue:mad:

NSWP,

We too have pickled onions in our fridge at home, small silverskin one's and big crunchy whoppers! My uncle has them in his fridge in Curramundi (Queensland) but then he is a UK ex-pat!

At least you know you can get a full ploughmans onboard! And so do I - lets hope it's not the days we are on excursions!!

Thanks for that info Izzyr:)

Can anybody out there tell me if they serve traditional Brit tucker on board P&O ships, e.g. - Pork pies, smoked haddock, ploughman's lunches, fish and chips, roast dinners, Yorkshire puds, baked beans etc. I liked all of those when I visited UK. Looking at doing a P&O cruise from Southampton to the Med next year and as a foodie, I would like to hear about the food on P&O.

Hi Downunder,

I have been away and found it difficult to post but to answer your question, I find the most British dishes are found at lunchtime in the main dining room.

The evening meals tend to be more 'international' although by all accounts not 'American'.

You will get your fish and chips, pies, curries, steamed puds, crumbles and bread and butter pudding, at lunchtime. Of course you will get afternoon tea served in the dining room as well.

Of course sail aways will come with Union Jacks.

You should be in heaven.

:)Happy Cruising:)

:cool:

Dai

TA again to our British friends. Nothing like some good Brit tucker. Bangers and Mash is OK too and Black pudding and Kippers. Yes I might just get on one of those P&O cruises. Princess do an English theme lunch in the horizon buffets, but I did not see any pork pies, only bangers and mash, Roast beef, yorkshire puds, fish & chips, etc.

As for beer, give me a cold lager not the room temp Brit ales.!! I did like Carlsberg and Stella in the UK.:cool:

TA again to our British friends. Nothing like some good Brit tucker. Bangers and Mash is OK too and Black pudding and Kippers. Yes I might just get on one of those P&O cruises. Princess do an English theme lunch in the horizon buffets, but I did not see any pork pies, only bangers and mash, Roast beef, yorkshire puds, fish & chips, etc.

As for beer, give me a cold lager not the room temp Brit ales.!! I did like Carlsberg and Stella in the UK.

You are in luck then as Stella is the lager which is on tap on P&O ships:D:D

:)Happy Hic! Cruising:)

Dai

Can anybody out there tell me if they serve traditiional Brit tucker on board P&O ships, e.g. - Pork pies, smoked haddock, ploughmans lunches, fish and chips, roast dinners, yorkshire puds, baked beans etc. I liked all of those when I visited UK. Looking at doing a P&O cruise from Southampton to the Med next year and as a foodie, I would like to hear about the food on P&O.

Unless things have drastically improved over the past few years I recommend any foodie to steer well clear of P&O. It is the one area that really lets an otherwise good cruise line down. I had to give up with P&O it was so bad. Try Celebrity.

Thats a bit harsh !

Seems like you haven't been on pando for 'a few years'. Well since then Gary Rhodes restaurants are now on Oriana and Arcadia.

The Orchid Thai restaurant on Arcadia as well as Rhodes were both fantastic/

The main restaurants are getting very good reveiws from serios foodies who have returned from cruises on pando at the moment. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to criticize if you haven't been on there for a while.

Celebrity are a noch higher i hear, but are American ships, dealing with american tastes at the end of the day.

Thats a bit harsh !

Seems like you haven't been on pando for 'a few years'. Well since then Gary Rhodes restaurants are now on Oriana and Arcadia.

The Orchid Thai restaurant on Arcadia as well as Rhodes were both fantastic

The main restaurants are getting very good reveiws from serious foodies who have returned from cruises on pando at the moment. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to criticize if you haven't been on there for a while.

Celebrity are a noch higher i hear, but are American ships, dealing with american tastes at the end of the day.

Thats a bit harsh !

The Orchid Thai restaurant on Arcadia as well as Rhodes were both fantastic

The main restaurants are getting very good reveiws from serious foodies who have returned from cruises on pando at the moment. Perhaps you shouldn't be so quick to criticize if you haven't been on there for a while.

In your opinion have things drastically improved in the past three years and if so in what way? Can you refer me to some of these "serious foodies" reviews. I am genuinely interested to hear a critique of P&O food from someone who really appreciates good food.

If you read other forums there are many ex P&O cruisers who feel exactly the same way about the food as me, and one reported having gone back in the past year to give them another chance only to find it was as bad as ever.

Yes it was travelling on American ships that made me realsise how acceptable mass catering could be. If Princess can do it, and every other American cruise line I have been on, why can't P&O?

I love good British food but P&O don't provide it. For example poor quality beef served only a couple of times a week and loads of frozen McCain products. Overcooked and boring vegetable accompaniments. Sauces lacking in any flavour. Unimaginative desserts.

In my view they built up a following of British cruisers in the early days when they had little competition. These people accepted their miserable offerings because they didn't realise how much better it could be. In those days a good meal out was a steak at a Berni Inn.

Since then P&O have improved the sound of their food, but what is delivered is still the bare minimum they can get away with. The same attitude that means you do not get lunch on the first day. As more people try other cruise lines the more customers P&O are losing, especially those who appreciate good food.

As for the speciality restaurants I have heard poor reports of Gary Rhodes' but in any case if you want to compare what can be achieved in an extra charge restaurant, try any of the Celebrity ones which is the nearest you'll get to Michelin star quality on mainstream cruising.

Although no doubt there are some cruise lines that will have better or worse food then others, I would be surprised (and delighted) if any line or ship could be the equal or surpass the best 2 & 3 Etoile'd restaurants in Europe and the UK, and even most 1 Etoil'd or candidate ones.

I have cruised mainly with P&O and have experience of Cunard, HAL and Fred Olsen and they, to me are all fairly similiar delivering usually reasonable product for those who have sensible expectations and who are not taken in by hyperbole in brochures.

I go on a cruise and do not anticipate or expect a gourmond experience.

I save that for eating out in the UK or when in Europe or as a port-of-call treat for lunch when it is noticable the leap in quality in terms of ingredients, choice, skill and presentation compared with the generally okay'ish, acceptable and palatable food one get served on the ships. Mind you, the bill will also refect the primacy of the ingredients, the ratio of the kitchen brigade to the number of diners and the cost associated with producing the environment for serving gourmond food.

The cruise fare starting from between £500 to £1,000 per week per person, catering for 2,000 passengers & 800 crew limits the scope of the kitchens to essentially banqueting style with the bonus of limited choice and their supply lines being somewhat stretched. All the other non-food costs relating to ones cruiise has to come out of your fare too.

I do not think it is a coincidence that increased discounting since I started cruising has coincided wth a decline in overall standards on board.

Our experience on Oceana 2006 could not even measure up to my realistic expectations (it was the worst food I have ever experienced on a cruise) although matters were mitagated 2 months later by our experience on Oriana which met my realistic expectations with only 1 duff dish experienced (in which I heard the Executive Purser say to a passenger, "Oh I wouldn't have ordered that - it's not very good tonight")

Unless things have drastically improved over the past few years I recommend any foodie to steer well clear of P&O. It is the one area that really lets an otherwise good cruise line down. I had to give up with P&O it was so bad. Try Celebrity.

Hi megacruiser,

Surly you are missing the point the OP is asking about 'British Tucker', Fish & Chips, steamed puddings, toad in the hole, steak pie etc and is not claiming to be a foodie. (Whatever one of those is).

On our 8 cruises we have had excellent meals and have never even heard a complaint from anyone at the table, always one for 8.

Your standards are clearly higher than the vast majority of cruisers and therefore your comments are slightly out of place on a thread about 'British Tucker'. We were on Arcadia last year and were very impressed with AR and The Orchid, were standards were well up with any fine dining room we have visited. Perhaps you should give them a try.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

Dai

Archived