Seriously, am I stressing too much?

aroach2524

My husband (and friends who are traveling with us) are making me feel that I'm stressing too much about prebooking excursison and "land adventures!" :o Seriously, how important is it to prebook these things--especially if we stick with the cruise line offerings. Anybody had any experience missing something they really wanted to see?:confused:

It's unlikely that you'll miss anything except possibly flightseeing. What you also miss by pre-booking is the pleasure of standing in the long lines at the Excursion Desk. :)

Murray

Frankly, I always recommend people do their homework, and AT least KNOW what is available, it is better to have all plans and reservations in place before you leave.

There is fantastic stuff to do in Alaska and all the time, I see aimless people getting off the ship in ports, then trying to decide what to do. A big waste of time, since tours are extremely limited.

If you are only looking at ship excursions- print out your excursion list now, and take a look at it on the plane and make some decisions. Place your order embarkment day. Flights ALWAYS sell out.

I would pre-book anything that you REALLY want to do! Some of the tours have very limited availability and even though the cruiselines hold back a percentage to book on board, if it is a very small tour you might get shut out especially if you have a group. I know for RCCL they hold back 30% for onboard, but for one of our tours the limit is 10 which means they leave 3 seats for purchase on the ship.

Why don't you prebook and then you can cancel if you change your mind. I know in the case of RCCL you can cancel up to 24 hours before. I am a planner and have had all my tours booked for several weeks now for August

BQ is right - do a LOT of research before you go - the posts here are full of little tidbits that will really help you learn more. That way if you do miss out on a tour you want, you'll have a back up plan. Even if you don't get to go on an actual "excursion" you'll know what there is to see on your own in each port and can get off the ship and wing it. There's fun to be had either way!!!

Before our cruise last summer, I started a Word document for each of our ports, then when I saw little bits and pieces in the posts here, I just copied and pasted them in to the appropriate document. Before the cruise, I went through the documents and eliminated duplicates and things I had decided didn't interest me, organized and streamlined everything, and highlighted the things that sounded most interesting. Then I printed that out and took it with me on the trip. I had made a folder of stuff like that - including Murray's guide for Skagway/drive to Emerald Lake! - and it was really helpful to have all my tips organized and condensed down and easy to get to.

If there is a tour that you absolutely don't want to miss, then book before the cruise. Excursions do fill up and it would be a shame to miss out on one that is important to you.

I believe research is very important. I do the same even when I have already been to the area. There is always something new to learn, to read about. I just consider it a part of continuing my education, plus I enjoy the research before the cruise.

There is fantastic stuff to do in Alaska and all the time, I see aimless people getting off the ship in ports, then trying to decide what to do. A big waste of time, since tours are extremely limited.

BINGO!

The ships call at those ports constantly, and have heard from thousands of passengers. The only tours they keep on the list are those that consistently get good reports. They can, and do, fill up. The limited ones like helicopter flights book up very quickly, others more slowly but do sell out.

Our approach is very simple: If it is something we HAVE to do, then book early! We are already booked for our August 31 Alaska cruise, some independents and some ship excursions. OTOH, in Juneau where we have been many times before, I plan to just look around and see if anything interests me.

My DW laughs at me for stressing. About a week before the cruise, I gather up all our documents, emails, confirmations, maps and so on, take them down to Staples and have them bound in a book. There have been several occasions when my book has been referred to when reservations got confused and it has saved the day!

I figure a little preparation BEFORE the cruise ensures that the cruise itself will be STRESS FREE! And that's what it is all about, isn't it! Once on board, the only big decision I want to make is what to have for dinner.

Have a GREAT cruise!

I do feel that there is a trap of "having-to-do-everything-right" syndrome in planning a trip. It's okay to plan, but if it's stressing you out, are you possibly having this syndrome? Personally, I LOVE to plan any trip, so nothing like that stresses me out, but if you ever get to a point where you are not having fun planning, then it may be a good chance to reexamine that. Only you can decide what is really a "must" on any trip. Some people act as if they are losing out if they do not do what others are saying is a "must." Typical of that is a person who feels that he or she must cover what is in a travel book, or it is not a good trip. That would not be my style, at least.

Definitely, do your research, and see what you might be interested in. And if you decide that something is a "must," go ahead and prebook. But nothing is a "must" unless you say it is.

Many people say, for instance, that flightseeing to Misty Fjords in Ketchikan is a "must." It is a great excursion, and I do highly recommend it. But one time, I just decided to walk around the streets of Ketchikan all day long. And it was a lot of fun. If I had planned everything to death, I would not have been able to do that spontaneously and had so much fun.

Do your research, have fun doing it, remember, there is no one right way, except to have a good time!

Actually, I guess stressed was too strong a word--at least as regards me. I'm having a blast researching and reading and planning. I think I may be stressing others (we have a group of 10 going!) some of whom have an "I'll see what's available when I get there." Just want them to have a great time and since my husband and I kinda got the group together, I'm feeling responsible. But I'm letting that go!!!!!:D

It's basically a really fun group and we'll have fun no matter what we do.

Just thought about booking a car in Skagway through Avis and they have none left:rolleyes: Oh well, should have planned that one a little further out obviously! Guess we'll go with the train and possibly the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (which I have booked :)

This is an awesome board--full of people who think ahead and I love it!

That's great! :D

I am somewhat in a similar situation as you. This year my wife and I are sailing to Alaska by ourselves, but in 2008 we are planning to get our families together for an Alaska cruise. Since my family lives in Japan and they have to be flown in (and they don't speak English!), I need to work out the logistics, which sometimes can be a bit much to think about. But in the end, I am positive that they will all have a wonderful time. I can just picture their faces glowing. That makes it all worthwhile. :)

Have a great trip!

If you take some time to figure out what everyone wants to do and try to manage it, work it out, and then book it now instead of waiting until you get to the ship, there is MUCH LESS worrying.

If I were you I would be worrying now about if there will be things left that you want to do by the time you get on the ship. And, if there is, will you be able to be the first person in line to get it or will you be disappointed and your cruise haunted by it?

okay okay, so it's a little dramatic, but honestly, I would be worrying the entire time. You don't have to book an excursion in every port that is cruiseline based. Mendenhall for example - great excursion if you like hiking, but you don't have to go through the cruiseline to take this excursion. You can do it on your own.

It's just figuring out what you want to do. I'm definitely for pre-booking, pre-planning, pre-everything!

Actually, I guess stressed was too strong a word--at least as regards me. I'm having a blast researching and reading and planning. I think I may be stressing others (we have a group of 10 going!) some of whom have an "I'll see what's available when I get there." Just want them to have a great time and since my husband and I kinda got the group together, I'm feeling responsible. But I'm letting that go!!!!!:D

With 10 people in your group - it would be hard to get everyone to agree on excursions. If I were you, I would book what you and your husband want to do, share that with the others, and let them decide to either join you or do something else (or nothing, as the case may be).

I have been trying (according to him I have been nagging and annoying for the last month) to get my husband and the other couple cruising with us to make some decisions as far as shore excursions. I finally got them to make decisions for 2 of our three ports of call and we booked some excursions. At the time it was just over a month before, and one of the excursions I really wanted to to was full -it was the only thing I really wanted to do too.

We are still trying to decide for Skagway. Anyone have any suggestions?

I too, had a problem getting the rest of my group focused. I am such a relentless planner, I'll freely admit it, but come on! Why wait till the absolute last minute to plan your clothes, just to find out you need stuff that you can no longer buy cause it's out of season? I "rode" (HAHA His words) my hubby until he tried on clothes we weren't sure fit (he's lost weight). Thank goodness, he finally acquiesed and lo and behold, I had to find clothes for him online, since it is spring now and winter clothes are not available. I got lucky and found stuff on clearance a month ago but my sister did not have such luck with her husband and they are scrambling!

We always try to plan well ahead and do our research. When booking the exursions through Princess, the really nice thing is that you can cancel if you change your mind, up until they "close" the bookings for that port.

So, if there is something you really want to do, and also if there are some things that look interesting to you - book early, book often, book away.

You can always change your mind later.:)

I do that and don't stress the stuff I am really interested in being unavailable due to being full.:D

i was hoping the family could do things together..after all, DH and i hadn't seen his niece in 10 years!! plus if the family went, the FIL would go. but neither happened. they would not plan anything!!! we ended up having family dinner together. SIL, her DH, her daughter and DH went together for stuff. my DH and i did our thing...FIL mostly stayed on the ship.

personally, while it was a great trip...too much time was spent trying to get them to do things.

if there is something you really want to do..book it!! then tell them if they want to join you, the can. remember, you don't have to be joined at the hip.

With 10 people in your group - it would be hard to get everyone to agree on excursions. If I were you, I would book what you and your husband want to do, share that with the others, and let them decide to either join you or do something else (or nothing, as the case may be).

That's exactly what I've done--just sent the group an e-mail and told them what we're doing and they are free to join or not!

i was hoping the family could do things together..after all, DH and i hadn't seen his niece in 10 years!! plus if the family went, the FIL would go. but neither happened. they would not plan anything!!! we ended up having family dinner together. SIL, her DH, her daughter and DH went together for stuff. my DH and i did our thing...FIL mostly stayed on the ship.

personally, while it was a great trip...too much time was spent trying to get them to do things.

if there is something you really want to do..book it!! then tell them if they want to join you, the can. remember, you don't have to be joined at the hip.

Sorry, with a group this is very impractical in Alaska. Tours are just fantastic if of interest. And way too costly if not. Let everyone go their own way, and meet back and rave about your choices. :)

Just thought about booking a car in Skagway through Avis and they have none left:rolleyes: Oh well, should have planned that one a little further out obviously! Guess we'll go with the train and possibly the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari (which I have booked :)

This is an awesome board--full of people who think ahead and I love it!

When is your cruise and with what line ??? I am sorry that Avis is booked in Skagway. Did you try calling them direct in Skagway, calling their 1-800 number, or booking on line. If you have not tried each avenue, I would if you really want a car. I called their 1-800 number and booked a car in April for July. gg

How do you go about prebooking an excursion.

We are on the southbound june 6 on the Spirit.

We are on the same cruise and have pre-booked everthing except Ketchikan, which we will probably have done by the end of next week.

Cajun man do you have your booking number? If so you can go to the Carnival website, go to the Shore Excursion tab and select your cruise and then pick the port. You'll get a discription of the various tours. Just follow the prompts to book the ones you want. It will not let you make a mistake and book overlapping excursions.

To Aroach, I am cruising on RCCI June 29 Northbound and like you I was stressing myself out w/ the rest of my group not wanting to book stuff and getting noone else was making plans. I am sailing w/ my mother-in-law and my husbands 2 brothers wives and kids so there are a lot of family dynamics at play.

I finally went ahead and booked the things I wanted to do special w/ my DH (the heli-hike-train in Skagway, bicycling in ISP), I am taking the day off from everyone in Ketchikan and networked w/ friends to find a local to hang out with me. I wanted us to rent a car to get from Seward to Anchorage and I did wait too long and they are sold out so now we are taking the early bus to Anchorage and renting a car there.

I used to live on a sailboat so I am very familiar with coming into a new ports and exploring the cities. I ordered visitor guides from each city so I have my maps and I will be orientated before I leave the ship. I used the net to find the closest local bookstores (I love to see what books are of local interest ....probably not James Patterson who is popular here in Palm Beach). Remember Alaskans are readers so I am excited! I know the churches and their history. etc I have my list of restraraunts and bars and will be mapping them out so I know what to look for if I am walking.

Don't feel bad that you are a planner. It took me a bit but I finally had to let go and realize this I have more fun if I know where I am going. I have a feeling the others won't even be leaving the ship.

Too bad you are not on my cruise ...then we could compare our notes.

Have fun WilmaRae:)

Archived