Are pashminas in or out???

zcat

For those of us in our late 40's and older, don't you all wish we could find a way to put all our clothes in storage because the fashions always come back into style? Ponchos were the rage in the early 70's and now it's the new must-have. Platform shoes were big 30 years ago and they've been big again. But please God, don't allow them to bring back fringed vests, wierd stripped bell bottom pants.

Darcy, my only wish is that I could still fit into the hip-hugger jeans, etc. that I wore in 1973. The ponchos and shoes would be the only thing that still FIT me now! I had this God-awful black and white plaid poncho that I sewed myself, fringe included. I'm not too thrilled to see that style return. I agree with the poster who said they make short, fluffy people look shorter and fluffier.;)

Shawls are something that will never go out of style. As time goes by, they might be embellished with different accents, but I think they are a wardrobe staple to most. I think the big trend they are pushing now are the dressy shrugs and ponchos. I personally will not wear a poncho, and while I think that some shrugs are very pretty, they would accent my 34D bust just a bit too much!

Most likely came back because of the Martha Stewart one, the one an inmate made for her and she wore it for her release!!

Actually this thread was from before Martha got out of jail originally. I brought it up for Ashley and Dales mom because we had discussed the definition of pashminas.

It was last year the ponchos were really hot-my daughter had several-she does not wear them so much any more.

Mrs. Moose, I watched Martha's show for the first time the other day when I was off work for the holiday. She actually had a WHOLE bunch of them made (by her friends from prison, of course) and gave them out to everyone in the audience. The entire audience & even the crew were wearing them! You all are right about not flattering--and these were all in greys and browns too. They looked like they were wearing oatmeal!:( I can just hear everyone in the audience..."Uh, gee....thanks?"

Okay, just had to post again...kenelmom thanks for the heads up! I was reading all of these posts and I've seen the shawls & pashminas but never found one I liked that wasn't too expensive. So right after I finished my post I took kenelmom's words to heart & checked out Ebay. Talk about a plethora of pashminas!:D There were several that were 100% cashmere and were ending soon. So I looked for a black one and found it with a few bids on it. So I bided my time and waited until the last minute--literally. I originally put in a bid with one minute left but was outbid. Then I countered with another one with just seconds to spare and won it! I was so thrilled! Thanks again for all of the great info about the shawls & pashminas!

Okay, just had to post again...kenelmom thanks for the heads up! I was reading all of these posts and I've seen the shawls & pashminas but never found one I liked that wasn't too expensive. So right after I finished my post I took kenelmom's words to heart & checked out Ebay. Talk about a plethora of pashminas!:D There were several that were 100% cashmere and were ending soon. So I looked for a black one and found it with a few bids on it. So I bided my time and waited until the last minute--literally. I originally put in a bid with one minute left but was outbid. Then I countered with another one with just seconds to spare and won it! I was so thrilled! Thanks again for all of the great info about the shawls & pashminas!

Marshalls still has them for $30. they are 50-50 cashmere and silk. I actually like the blend of silk and cashmere better then all cashmere-so I will get that.

Mrs. Moose you are right about ponchos being unflattering. My daughter is very small and to me they made her look like a little girl-when she had on a poncho - she looks flat chested and she actually has some nice breasts for a size zero girl-but whenever she wears anything baggy she just looks flat.

I also think they look not so good on big women-sort of like the "tent" dresses-big women would wear them thinking they looked better and the "tent" dresses just made them look bigger. Baggy is just not attractive on anyone.

I was at a bar last night. The bartender a young girl, very thin, young, had on a pashmina style scarf but she was wearing it in a most unsual way and just want to share the style.

The bartender and cocktail waitresses all have to wear black.

She was wearing a sleveless black short dress, and she had a peach pashmina style scarf worn and I hope I get this right to explain,

it was going around her neck (back of neck not in the front at all), under her arms and tied in the back low, around the waist/hip area, it was rolled jelly roll style. never saw this and thought it was most unusual. It looked good on her as she is very tiny girl, and quite young.

I can't believe my post started a whole Pashmina/poncho discussion!! :Dhaha!! I ended up getting a pink pashmina from the lady to go with the black dress. She said the pink matches the pink of the flowers on the dress. Dress, pashmina, and shipping from England, $47. I thought that was really good. Even if the pashmina is not truly what she claims as 100% cashmere, as long as it is slightly warm, I am fine. Our cruise is the first week of April and the shawl is just for a cover if I get cool anyway since the dress is sleeveless. You ladies are great. I learn so much reading the boards from time to time during the day.

P.S. I have a daughter and her name is Ashlyn Dale. That's why my username is ashlyndalesmommy. That's her cute little pic at the top. She is cruising with me in April. It will be me, Ashlyn, and my mother. My dd is a farmer and is beginning planting season then and cannot go... but he's the financeer...hehe. :p He expects many pics of his little girl having fun w/o him.

I can't believe my post started a whole Pashmina/poncho discussion!! :Dhaha!! I ended up getting a pink pashmina from the lady to go with the black dress. She said the pink matches the pink of the flowers on the dress. Dress, pashmina, and shipping from England, $47. I thought that was really good. Even if the pashmina is not truly what she claims as 100% cashmere, as long as it is slightly warm, I am fine. Our cruise is the first week of April and the shawl is just for a cover if I get cool anyway since the dress is sleeveless. You ladies are great. I learn so much reading the boards from time to time during the day.

P.S. I have a daughter and her name is Ashlyn Dale. That's why my username is ashlyndalesmommy. That's her cute little pic at the top. She is cruising with me in April. It will be me, Ashlyn, and my mother. My dd is a farmer and is beginning planting season then and cannot go... but he's the financeer...hehe. :p He expects many pics of his little girl having fun w/o him.

Ashlyn's Mom- actually there was a discussion of ponchos before I bumped this up for you-then Mrs. Moose mentioned good ole Martha after I bumped it up. You probally did not even see the post here what Jane 110 who works in the fashion industry said about pashminas being a combination of cashmere and silk-which was why I bumped it up for you.

Sorry about me messing up your name. I thought the n was an abbrieation for the word -and - that you used instead of the symbol- & -so that you were Ashley and Dale's mom. So I thought to myself "she has 2 kids but are they 2 boys, 2 girls or a girl and boy?" well you answered my question-it is one girl.

As you probally figured out I am the mom of Meg.- but my Meg is a grown woman. I call myself that because she introduced me to these boards and there was already a "Jane" here so I needed to use something else besides Jane.

Having a little girl is wonderful Isn't it? I wish I still had a little girl-I keep hoping she will make me a grandmother one day-but not to soon-not until she is ready.

nice to meet you mom of meg.:). I figured I should re-explain my username. Thanks for bumping it up for me. I am anxious to see my dress and pashmina to see how they are made. The lady was really nice.

Thanks for getting back to me. I LOVE having a daughter. I see so much of myself in her. (I also see a little of her dd's temperment in her, but I hope I can mold some of that OUT of her!!:p) She's 5 and the love of my life. I can't wait to cruise with her. It will be a blast. My mom is a "young" 52 and will be having her own fun. :D

[quote name='ashlyndalesmommy']nice to meet you mom of meg.:). I figured I should re-explain my username. Thanks for bumping it up for me. I am anxious to see my dress and pashmina to see how they are made. The lady was really nice.
Thanks for getting back to me. I LOVE having a daughter. I see so much of myself in her. (I also see a little of her dd's temperment in her, but I hope I can mold some of that OUT of her!!:p) She's 5 and the love of my life. I can't wait to cruise with her. It will be a blast. My mom is a "young" 52 and will be having her own fun. :D[/QUOTE]

Well your mom is just slightly older then me. Tell her she should come here-she can be ashlyndalesgramma-huh? Or maybe she will just call herself mom- of-mom-of-ashlyndale.

[quote name='momofmeg']Well your mom is just slightly older then me. Tell her she should come here-she can be ashlyndalesgramma-huh? Or maybe she will just call herself mom- of-mom-of-ashlyndale.[/quote]

I just set my mom up, momofmeg and this is her new username. My nephew couldn't say grammy when he was really little and would try to say my grammy and it came out myamme and her name is Kathy, so we added the k.

So, I'm on here and my mom now. Watch out cruise critic board!:D

[quote name='myammek']I just set my mom up, momofmeg and this is her new username. My nephew couldn't say grammy when he was really little and would try to say my grammy and it came out myamme and her name is Kathy, so we added the k.

So, I'm on here and my mom now. Watch out cruise critic board!:D[/QUOTE]

well ashlyndales' Mom and myammek-I see you are from Georgia. I live in GA too. I live in Douglasville, GA like 3 miles from Arbor Place Mall-( about 10 miles from good ole six Flags off I-20 going west-in the Atlanta area. ) I grew up in Augusta, GA -I was an army brat and my dad retired from the army and stayed in Augusta until he died. I was even born att Ft. Gordon, GA.

[quote name='ashlyndalesmommy']We live in Sylvania. Halfway between
Augusta and Savannah. Statesboro is
about 25 minutes from us. Small world,
huh?[/QUOTE]

I have a brother that lives in Hephizibah, Ga and a sister that lives in Waynesboro, Ga-both are small towns not far from Augusta,my brother is like 15 miles from Augusta and my sister is like 30 miles from Augusta but both towns are going your direction.

I believe I have drove through Sylvania when going to Savannah many years ago. Of course now I go to Savannah by way of Interstate 75 and Macon. Savannah is like a 5 hour drive for us-but when I lived in Augusta-it was alot closer- like half the drive-I would go with friends to Tybee Island alot as it was the closest beach for us.

The other vacation hubby and I like alot besides cruises, is staying in bed and breakfast inns-we stayed at the Tybee Island Inn for a long weekend about 3 years ago-that was my first visit to Savannah in like 20 years when we went there.

Archived