Are pashminas in or out???

zcat

I know we talked this to death BUT I noticed in the stores they aren't showing them or didn't have many to show. Went to buy 2 or 3 and came home without one. Soooo ladies what do you say? Judy

I believe they were the rage last year and the year before. This year, I am seeing them in the stores, and I think the ships will do what they can to push them while onboard. IMO, and while I have a few colors, I'm not so sure they are the absolute "in" item to have this Fall. :)

I think more and more that these are just becoming a wardrobe staple. It's just a shawl, afterall. I have one that I bought a couple of years back, and still use it to this day. I like it more because it keeps me warm, and could care less whether Hollywood still thinks it's "in". :)

I think more and more that these are just becoming a wardrobe staple. It's just a shawl, afterall.

I agree. It's like a great evening bag or basic black dress that's almost timeless. It may no longer be 'trendy', but sure is a useful and beautiful item to have in your wardrobe.

Ell

I, too, could NOT care less what some nameless, faceless entity has determined what's 'in' and what's 'out'. I remember reading several months ago that it's wrong to wear the same color nail polish on your fingers AND your toes. Who comes up with this stuff?

Apparently, ponchos are back. They were ugly then, and they're ugly now! But, somebody must like them.

Wear what you like, as long as it fits, and don't give a second thought to whether it might be considered fashionable or not.

T

I just bought another one...this time a beautiful shade of green. They are great for taking on airplanes instead of using their blankets. Who knows where they've been??? I also take mine to restaurants in the summer...the air-conditioning is sometimes a little cool. Great accessory!!

I just bought a pashmina stole as well!! My local upscale ("Will this be on your account, miss?") dept store sells them. When they sell something, it's a classic. Shawls made of all materials have been around for eons so I think they're beyond being "in" or "out".

M

Apparently, ponchos are back. They were ugly then, and they're ugly now! But, somebody must like them.

Wear what you like, as long as it fits, and don't give a second thought to whether it might be considered fashionable or not.

T

Thank you so much for saying this. You beat me to the punch. I don't care who says it is in or out, i say wear whatever the heck you want and can afford. People shouldn't break the bank for a new 'in' wardrobe and shouldn't let someone else decide what they should be wearing.

I completely agree with your comment on the poncho's too. I think they are the dumbest looking things (especially on me, they make short fat people look shorter and fatter). :o)

Thanks everyone. I feel the same way. I just didn't see them when I was in Nordstroms - but - I didn't ask either so I will go back I want a navy red and green I lke them so much more than my dumb old jackets. I am going to look in the fabric store this week and see if I can find a baby fine wool to make one. I will let you know.

Pashmina is a fabric. It's a combination of cashmere and silk. So what everyone is called "a pashmina" is really just a shawl made from cashmere and silk.

Shawls have been "in" for hundred's of years. Yes, sure there are times when they're more popular. That only means we have more choices in the stores. But a shawl is never "out". It's like saying that gloves are "out".

Linder, I agree with you about the blankets on airplanes. Those things give me the creeps. I buy "disposable" ones for $3.00 each from a site called http://www.protravelgear.com They're extremely lightweight, warm and can be washed about a half dozen times before they fall apart. Best investment in a travel product I ever made!

Jane

Gee, if all of us are still using them then they are still "in", aren't they? Frankly, I would look like an idiot if I only wore what the magazines say is "in". I'd need to be twenty years younger and forty pounds lighter! LOL I just bought two more of the "pashmina" shawls on Sunday at Marshall Fields on clearance for $9.97 each. My daughters and I plan to use them to cover bare shoulders for two upcoming weddings. We will use them as a layer over our turtlenecks and sweaters to keep from freezing on the way to the airport for our November cruise then have them if the dining room is too chilly.

I know ponchos are supposedly making a comeback and I do think some of the ones I've seen so far are cute for casual wear, I just can't see wearing a poncho over my dress on formal night.

I've got a couple of the faux pashminas that I will be taking when I cruise. In or not, I like 'em.

I can recall knitting my ponchos when I was in high school, back in the late 70's. Ponchos were very much in, and we would knit pink and purples and black and reds. And I am happy to see that they are coming back in "style" for the Fall. ;)

I have a poncho that my 93 yr. old mother-in-law made years ago. She gave it to me, and I didn't want to hurt her feelings, so I took it. Maybe I should pull it out and wear it! I used to love to wear them years ago.

In the Seattle Nordstrom (store #1) the real pashmina stoles are totally classic standard wear and are NOT on sale. They are expensive. My daughter wore one the other night to a classy fundraiser event. She draped it around her shoulders and held it with an antique broach. Old broaches are "in". I will wear my pashmina for a little warmth on a Formal Dinner night and feel great. I love mine. The only problem is that they do snag easily so I am treating mine a little more carefully. Enjoy! Aren't we priviledged to have so many clothes that we actually get to choose what we will wear? And, we're talking about on a cruise!! How spoiled can we be? Let's be grateful and contribute to the Red Cross for the folks in Florida.

Shirley

I'll never give mine up!!!! You can get the smaller version too (long and narrow). I actually fold one up and put it in my purse...great for a little chill around the neck! The new ponchos are just plain ugly to me too!!!! (Let's face it, they are NOT slendorizing:eek: ).

For those of us in our late 40's and older, don't you all wish we could find a way to put all our clothes in storage because the fashions always come back into style? Ponchos were the rage in the early 70's and now it's the new must-have. Platform shoes were big 30 years ago and they've been big again. But please God, don't allow them to bring back fringed vests, wierd stripped bell bottom pants.

This thread is too funny! I was never into ponchos, but they are definitely back for the fall. Dennis Basso has some on QVC.

Tweed is HUGE, and, yes, wearing large brooches on a tweed jacket is THE look for fall. I've seen some great looking tweed outfits with the brooches in magazines. I love tweed, always have.

I remember wearing below the navel mini-skirts that barely covered the butt with shoes that looked like Frankenstein's with the 4 inch platforms, and a bodysuit - remember bodysuits??? :D :D What a pain in the neck when you had to use the ladies' room! Remember the bell bottom jeans with the bottoms frayed and dragging on the ground? :eek: :eek:

But, ya know, life was pretty simple then. Wow, thanks for the memories, girls.

• 1 year later...
Pashmina is a fabric. It's a combination of cashmere and silk. So what everyone is called "a pashmina" is really just a shawl made from cashmere and silk.

Shawls have been "in" for hundred's of years. Yes, sure there are times when they're more popular. That only means we have more choices in the stores. But a shawl is never "out". It's like saying that gloves are "out".

Jane

Ashley and Dale's mom-this is the thread I was telling you about.

Archived