Fishing in Ketchikan

Sonshiner

I would really like to treat my husband to some sportfishing during our Ketchikan visit. I've heard that it is really fun however, I'm a bit worried about the unknown/hidden costs associated with it. :confused: Does anyone have any experience with the cost of freezing/processing/shipping your catch? The fishing itself is already pretty pricey...

If you're going to decide on fishing or not based on the costs involved then you might consider buying fish at the market. A true fisherman or woman fishes for the love of fishing - not adding up all the costs involved - because if you did that with everything you probably would stay home. Most of the sportfishing in Alaska for a 4 hour charter costs between $100 and $175 per person - they usually have you buy your license directly from the capt. and when you catch something then you can have it processed. That means flash frozen and shipped via fedex or smoked or canned. Each varies - the least expensive is frozen because it does not include any additional processing such as smoking which takes time and preparation. The costs of shipping depends on the weight, cost of the container and fedex or overnight charges. If you catch a salmon in Alaska it will be wild and far better than any you can purchase in the super market. Halibut here is out of this world. By the way think about fishing in Skagway or Haines - these places are doing really well here and even though the cruise ship will tell you there is no fishing in the upper Lynn Canal, it is one of the best kept secrets.

I agree with Alaska Star. You fish and ignore the cost. My husband fished in Ketchikan. He paid $10.00 for a fishing license and another $10.00 for a salmon license. He had 2 fish filleted for a total weight of 18.75 pounds and the cost to us was $90.06. This was July of this year. He enjoyed the trip.

We Took Princess Salmon Fishing Tour ($165) Boat Held 6, Fishing Area A Short Ride (inside Passage - Smooth). We Caught 23 Pink/silver Salmon ! So Much Fun....

Had 35 Lbs Pink, 10 Lbs Sockeye, 5 Lbs Halibut Filleted, Frozen And Shipped To Michigan For $310. And Yes, Very Delicious !!

6 of us went fishing in Ketchikan 2 weeks ago with an independent charter. $169 + $10 fishing license p/p. We caught 13 salmon and split the catch with the other couple. Our half arrived today by Fed Ex. We got 9 lbs. fresh ($1.65 p/pound) and 6 lbs. smoked ($3.65 p/pound). Shipping charges, etc. were $43. Total cost $98 for 15 lbs. of salmon. We had the smoked salmon for lunch and it was delicious. We are having the fresh salmon for supper. Hope it is just as good. It was expensinve, but how could we leave it there!

Good luck!

Thanks to everyone who provided information about the costs of processing their catch. :) It is much appreciated and it will give me an idea of where the final pricepoint might fall. Whether in business or on a personal level, I'm not one to follow my passions with reckless abandon when it comes to funding. If I can do more with less, that leaves more money for play other days. :D It is possible to be successful, have a blast and not be in hock up to your eyeballs! ;)

Archived