help Bilbao Getxo port

We were just there the end of April. The port in Getxo provided a free shuttle into the city center in Bilbo. It's about a 15 minute ride.

The ship had shuttle tickets at first, for $8 per person for the whole day, but they refunded everyone when the port came up with the free shuttle.

Then, in Bilbo, you can catch the hop on/off bus for about 13 Euros, and go all over. Otherwise, the metro is right within a block or less of the drop-off point, which is one of the main plazas in town. Sorry, but I foget the name. When I'm home and I can check my information, I'll post more.

Thanks from us too!!!

We too hope to be there in two weeks and have been looking for info.

pcur - did they tell you about the free shuttle on the ship or was it obvious when you got off the ship?

Thanks again

Hannah

What happened is they were selling the shuttle tickets for the ship's sponsored shuttle, and then received word from the Port of Getxo that they were providing a free shuttle. So, they refunded everyone's money.

Shuttles are always right there when you get off in each port, and they have signs posted in the front window. You can also "purchase" them directly from the coordinator at the bus by just showing your seapass card and signing up. Then they bill your account.

The free shuttle was nice though.

Happy to help. Our roll call thread for the Millie was going nuts, too, last month trying to figure this port out. The shuttles help alot, and we enjoyed the hop on/off. However, you might want to head directly to the Guggenheim Museum.

We, too, were on the April cruise pcur refers to. We struggled with this issue before leaving home but it turned out to be a non-issue. The port provided a shuttle free of charge. I don't think many ships call at this port so they were very accommodating. It is about 20 minutes from the port into Bilbao itself. You are dropped off at a main plaza and picked up at the same place. Shuttles ran about every 30 - 40 minutes. We went directly to the Tourist Information Office which was only a 5-7 minute walk and bought our tickets for the hop-on-hop-off bus there. I think they were 12 Euro each. We then got on the bus directly across the street from the Tourist Info office. I think it was about 10:00 a.m. That location is the start of the trip. They don't seem to have many buses so I would advise getting on there. Otherwise you may wait a long time for the bus to come to another stop. Some friends tried to get on at the Guggenheim and gave up waiting. It seemed to run about 30 minutes late for each stop. The streets are very narrow and traffic is heavy. We found Bilbao to be a very pleasant surprise. The architecture of the buildings, river walkways, old and new towns to be very interesting.

Archived