Eastern Med. October sea

meow!

Well, we did the Eastern Med on Galaxy last October. Had beautiful weather from Rome right on through the Straits of Messina. About an hour after clearing the Straits we hit 60 knot winds. We started rolling and rocking. We were just about to have lunch in the buffet and we watched an ice sculpture fall over right after an entire stack of plates.

My bride who was about to pick up food, said she was "not feeling very well" and she was gone to our cabin. We (and a whole bunch of folks) missed the first formal night. The next day we went to our Cruise Critic connections party at about 10:00 am and the winds were still high. We met in the Constellation lounge on the 11th deck and the waves would hit the side of the windows from time to time.

When we got to Mykonos at 2:00 pm the captain said we were lucky that no other ships were in that day as we got to dock as oppose to tender. Crew members we talked to said that if we had had to tender, we would have not been able to leave the ship. On Mykonos we saw some very high breaking waves.

All that said, the rest of the cruise was SMOOTH sailing. The day after Mykonos we awoke in Rhodes to beautiful sunshine. You can see pictures of the seas on our website as well the entire 14 day cruise through the Greek islands, Istanbul, the Black Sea and more on our website. The address is http://web.mac.com/jimbellomo/iWeb/Travel/Travels-with-Jim-and-Kathleen.html

By the way, I felt fine the whole time and my bride felt OK the next day even with the high winds after she took some Bonine.

We did a 7 night cruise last October (22nd) on Splendour of the Seas from Venice visiting Athens, Turkey and the Greek Isles. We had very calm seas and warm temps every day. Even though we had an aft cabin we bearly felt the ship move. Apparently the week before the seas had been rough. I think its just the luck of the draw. We've booked the Western Med for this year so keeping our fingers crossed.

Julie

Archived