Amsterdam June 8 first timer questions

luckygirl59

I'm very excited about my first cruise; booked for 25th anniversary. We booked late and decided to take the kids (14 and 21) too. We booked HH guarantee; found out last night (thanks to suggestions read here!) that we might be assigned already and we are. We got E category Main Deck 2696 and 2968. Exciting because we knew there was no guarantee we would be near each other or even on the same deck. Here are my questions for you experienced ones:

1. We are booked into the rooms as a mother/daughter and father/son pair since one of them is under 18. Being next door to each other,but not adjoining, I am assuming we will not have trouble with the staff since we will be switching to put the kids together. Does anyone have experience with this? Let me say that they are very well behaved.

2. From the reading I've done, I can't tell if we should be worried about engine noise in that location.

3. Are the breakfast options either room service or Lido? Anything else?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Spoke to some people on the Oosterdam cruise I just came back from that did exactly that with the two kids. Once onboard you'll be fine.

I would imagine the only thing that may get a little "iffy" is if one room was a suite and the other wasn't... would all 4 have access to the Neptune or just 2 of the 4 since only those two PAID for the suite...

Nevertheless, it'll work just fine.

There shouldn't be much issue with noise. Think about it this way. Even if there IS a little bit of noise, you have all of Dolphin Deck as insulation. :D

Breakfast on the ships is room service or Lido. Suite guests get breakfast in the Pinnacle on the Vista class and if I remember right, non-Vistas have it in the King's/Queen's Room off the main dining room.

I'm on the Amsterdam this Thursday in D 2577. I'll make sure she's in good shape for ya! :cool:

3. Are the breakfast options either room service or Lido? Anything else?

Dining room is an option for most people. It does close before the Lido, though. :rolleyes:

Check yourDaily Program for exact times each day.

HELLO ! Finally I've learned of someone who is going on the June 8th Cruise from Seattle on the Amsterdam. This will be my first cruise and I'm very excited. I'm cruising solo for my first voyage and hope to make some friends among my cruisemates.

Thanks for your answers. Now all we need to do is figure out the shore excursions and the formal wear for the 14 year old boy. I had really good luck at (don't laugh....) Goodwill this weekend, so I will take him there this week.

I think he has me talked into the zipline in Ketchikan.....

Luckygirl

My wife and I have split the rooms up the way you are on several occasions on HAL, RCL and Carnival. Not an issue with staff. Just remember that either your key or you husbands key will not open your door--it will open the kids door. You could trade keys with your son or daughter. Beware that if one of you have the under 18 child's key, then that person may not be able to purchase alcohol on board.

Have a good trip. Our family will be on the Amsterdam on 5-25.

Don't fret about engine noise. You should sleep well. Enjoy!

Just remember that either your key or you husbands key will not open your door--it will open the kids door. You could trade keys with your son or daughter. Beware that if one of you have the under 18 child's key, then that person may not be able to purchase alcohol on board.

Switching keys around is also not a good idea because it's used as an ID for checking you on/off the ship in ports.

Why not go to the Front Desk and get new keys once onboard?

Personally, I think it's a good idea for parents to have a key to the kids' room anyway.

Thanks for the continuing suggestions. If I ask them to redo the keys, will it be drawing attention to what we are doing? I doubt we will be drinking alcohol anyway, the older I get, the less well I tolerate it and DH has never been one to drink more than a sip of champagne at weddings.

PunxyBob, we will see you there.

If I ask them to redo the keys, will it be drawing attention to what we are doing?

Don't give it a second thought. People post here all the time that it's handled efficiently by the Front Desk---must be because they're used to it.

Archived