Which excursion to do in Bordeaux?

poss

I'm hoping that those of you who are familiar with the area can advise on this. We're not interested in wine tasting particularly, or in seeng how wine is made. Our main interest is in seeing handsome countryside, interesting towns, lovely secenery, etc. (not interested in shopping at all) Our Regent cruise has tours to St Emilion and to Medoc. Wondering which would provide handsomest scenery, most interesting touring. Or should we simply spend all our time in Bordeaux itself? Many thanks.

I'm hoping that those of you who are familiar with the area can advise on this. We're not interested in wine tasting particularly, or in seeng how wine is made. Our main interest is in seeing handsome countryside, interesting towns, lovely secenery, etc. (not interested in shopping at all) Our Regent cruise has tours to St Emilion and to Medoc. Wondering which would provide handsomest scenery, most interesting touring. Or should we simply spend all our time in Bordeaux itself? Many thanks.

I love Bordeaux and have spent some time there.You could just stay in town and wander,sit at a cafe or walk along the river..lots oto do.However,if you wanted to get out in the country you could do the trip to St.Emillion as long as you know it is wine country..big time as well as Medoc area.You would see the countryside for sure which is very pretty on its own and St.Emillion is a charming town in its own right to explore..you could just not do any wine things.You proabley could hire a driver for the time you are there,but it would be on the $$$ side.Like I said Bordeaux is a charming town both the new and the old to explore.

Medoc is a hilly area covered with huge vineyards. The main attraction are the splendid chateaux of the wineries. Even if you do not want to visit the wineries it is impressive to see the chateaux just from the outside. There are dozens of them. The towns in Medoc are surprisingly dissappointing.

St. Emilion is more typical for a wine region, with more beautiful villages and small wineries, only a few large chateaux. St. Emilion itsself is a charming small town with many historical buildings.

Bordeaux is a typical French big city.

If you like scenery, why not driving south to the bay of Arcachon and climbing the dune of Pyla?

Archived