Hilton Riverside Cruise "Special" aka Bait & Switch??

injunjoe

I have seen much written here about this special pricing at the Hilton Riverside. It seems to me that they may be offereing one or two rooms per night at this price and then jacking up the price for everyone else. A few months back, I called about getting a room for 12/3/04. I was told that the hotel was sold out. Just this week I called to reserve a room at their "cruise special" price of $99 for MAY 20, 2005 and was told that they are sold out. I checked on the special for MAY 27, 2005 and again they are sold out. How in the world is it possible for a hotel to be sold out nearly 10 months in advance. I smell a rat. Anyone else run into this problem??

Injun Joe

It was open for 10/30 too. I didn't book it because I needed 2 nights lodging & the deal's only valid for the night before the cruise.

Could be that they haven't made it available for next May yet. So, maybe it's not so much sold out as not available.

I bet they do limit the number of rooms for the cruising deal. And, this isn't the only cruise discussion site where it's been mentioned. Still, I'd be suprised if it's sold out for May because there were people trying to book it for earlier in 2005 who were told they hadn't decided if it was going to be continued that long.

New Orleans gets TONS and TONS of conventions every year. If you are trying to book a room during a month that is known to be a busy convention month, you might as well give up. Some months are better than others. It may just be bad luck that you are trying to book during "convention months.":( And if you are trying to book directly with the New Orleans Hilton, you might try their 1-800 number. I read a post recently that stated that the NO Hilton said no to the "cruise special" when she called. But when she called Hilton International's 1-800 number, she got the deal. :) So you might try that.

If this were a bait and switch, we would be hearing about it. But all we are hearing is how LOTS of CCers are getting this deal. I could probably list at least a dozen CCers that have recently posted that they got the "$99 cruise deal at the Hilton." I don't think they are doing the "bait and switch" on you. I think it is just bad timing and you need them during times when conventions are scheduled. NinaCo made a good point. I have heard that they didn't have their schedule for the following year available yet. So May could just be too far out at this point.

Another good place to find some deals for cruisers in NO is at this website: http://www.nomcvb.com/travelagent/cruisedetails.htm. The No Convention and Visitor's Bureau put this together for TA's detailing the hotel specials designed specifically for the cruise passengers. There are quite a few hotels listed and they all offer extra's to cruise passengers. Some offer shuttle service, free breakfast, and even free parking. You might check it out if you are still in the market for a hotel in NO. Good luck!

Wishkc, if you asked specifically for the $99 "cruise special" it does include free parking for 7 days. But since you are really staying 8 days and coming in one night earlier, you pay $22 for parking the first night. It's still a fantastic deal when you look around at how much everyone in NO charges for parking. Paying $22 for 8 days of parking is a steal! :D

We were just able to book 4 rooms (for one night pre-cruise) at the $99 room rate... 7-Nights of Free Parking at the hotel. Our cruise is on the NCL Dream 11-21 Sailing...booked the Hilton for 11-20, no problem!

We had to make the switch to the Hilton because the Ambassador Hotel was sold and the new owner wouldn't honor the old "Cruise Special" that we were quoted.

• 2 weeks later...

They almost surely limit the number of rooms they allow to go at the $99 rate. Hotels pretty much always limit the low-rate rooms. It's also quite possible they don't offer it too far in advance. But it's very much a real rate when you can get it; I got it in July.

• 1 month later...

I got it for our Sept cruise also. I booked 2 rooms. When we got there I told the lady at check in that it was my sons honeymoon and we were tagging along. She ran to the back and came back with coupons for free Champagne and free breakfast for 2 for them. The rooms were great. The people were very friendly and the hotel is beautiful.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Was supposed to stay at the Hilton Riverside on Dec 25, 2004 with the cruise parking package. Unfortunately a winter storm in Mississippi/Louisianna (very rare!) prevented me from driving in. Hilton happily refunded my deposit - great customer service!

Archived