Restrictionss on Photography in this region?

Does anyone have knowledge of locations that have photography restrictions on cruises in these area...including St. Petersburg and the Winter Palace? I need to know ahead of time if I will be disappointed because photography will not be allowed somewhere spectacular! Please advise, if you have any info...thanx!

Does anyone have knowledge of locations that have photography restrictions on cruises in these area...including St. Petersburg and the Winter Palace?

You shouldn’t have a problem taking photographs outside, I don’t think that was prohibited anywhere in the Baltic.

Nearly always it is prohibited to take photographs inside (palaces, museums etc.).

You're supposed to buy merchandise (postcards, books etc.) in the museum shop, so it’s an economic reason for not allowing pictures. One can agree or disagree with that.

Depending on what museum you visit they may have old paintings that react badly to flash photography, the colours will faint much faster. In case to preserve these exhibits for the future and other visitors no photography is allowed, which I think makes a lot of sense. Otherwise many paintings would've been damaged by now and you wouldn't be able to see them.

Check the websites of the places you’re going to visit, the information may be there. Or tell us where exactly you’re going. Someone will remember the details where photography was allowed/not allowed.

I thank you all and it's all good info! I'm not a professional, but I do enter a lot of photo contests and sell photos from time to time, and find it very frustrating not to be able to take non-flash photos inside museums.

Visit the websites for the places that you want to visit to find out if and how much they charge.

The Hermitage list its fees on its website: http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/

Alla Tours has a page of links to various museums that will save you time in trying to find links for the various places: http://www.alla-tour.com/?module=articles&id=9

Hey...I recognized the name! It's Paul from the Med. cruise last summer!

Are you guys doing the baltics this year?

We are booked on the Celebrity Century - July 21 - we are cruising with some friends and Joseph and David who we met on the Liberty cruise last summer.

Hope things are well.

Paul and Joe

Hi Paul! Yep, it's us! I sent you a letter yesterday, do you still have the same email as last year? So glad you are going and want to hear all about it! We're going on the Carnival Splendor when it is built next summer, to the Baltics, but have some friends going on the same ship that you are....the day you get off the ship, they get on! They also went with us on our cruise last summer. I really want to hear what you have to say about Celebrity and the ports when you get back. (if I may, and catch up on how you've been) Please say 'hi' to Joe! - Susie (and Neil and Melissa)

• 2 months later...
Hey...I recognized the name! It's Paul from the Med. cruise last summer!

Are you guys doing the baltics this year?

We are booked on the Celebrity Century - July 21 - we are cruising with some friends and Joseph and David who we met on the Liberty cruise last summer.

Hope things are well.

Paul and Joe

Hi Paul and Joe! I assume you are back from your cruise and I was wondering how it was and if you have any tips for us when we go, since that will be our next cruise...we got back from our 2nd Alaska cruise yesterday and had a great time. What should we see in St. Petersburg? - thanx, Susie

Photography isn't allowed in the Saint Petersburg subway system.

yes, that's true, photography isn't permitted at all inside the metro in st. pete.

however, a group that i know went to the metro as part of their tour and they did bring their cameras and they took pictures. they of course got caught and were forced to pay a fine. the fine was all of $4. so they gladly paid so that they could have the photos.

if i had known that the penalty was only $4, then i would have taken my camera and risked it as well.

the subway is gorgeous!

Archived