Juneau whale watching on 12 passenger boat

cruiseknotter

I'm traveling with 15 people in July and looking for a whale watching tour for all of us. Does anyone have any recommenation on which company I should go with? I called a few companies based on feedback on this site, but their boats can't accommodate all of us. So far I found www.akwhalewatching.com

which has 12 passenger boat that can accommodate 16 of us.

Has anyone done a whale watching tour with this company? I'll appreciate getting feedback. Thank you!

haven't tried them, i heard the boat you mentioned it new.

if that doesn't work out or if you want to check prices with other boats that can hold 15.......we went with:

http://www.orcaenterprises.com/

they have different size boats...we did the largest, holds up to 40 but they try to not fill it. (15 the day we went). the other boats are smaller.

they have special rates for kids and group rates for booking 10 or more whale watchers.

Thank you very much! Is there best time to do whale watching? morning or afternoon? We'll be in Juneau 7am-7pm. The akwhalewatching boat leaves at Auke Bay. How far is this from the cruise? They charge extra for the transportation (in exchange of giving us a good deal for the excursion). I'm trying to decide if we should first walk around the town, do shopping and eat lunch before we take cabs to Auke Bay or after. Any interesting places we should visit on the way?

most of them leave from auke bay...it's about a 20 to 30 min drive from the docks in juneau. last sept, with capt larry (orca enterprises) we only went 15 to 20 mins from the docks. sometimes it's not that easy to find the humpbacks, we were really lucky. hard to believe they are charging you for the fee out to auke bay, most don't. you must have gotten a heck of a deal?(hope so). many pick you up at the tram area (right off the docks).

along the way, there isn't much right along the road. just regular town stuff, that i could see. tourist shopping is right at the docks, the tram station is right there...food/restrooms and such.

if you are planning on taxis, you may want to call them and make arrangements. especially for a pick-up time, they get busy with all the cruise ships in port. i hear it's over $20 to 30 dollars for a taxi to mendenhall glacier...(it's near auke bay)i would call and see if they have any vans available? otherwise it's going to be several taxis and high rates?

what time are you going whale watching? mendenhall is close, but it would mean for cab fare...even if you took a shuttle from mendenhall back to the docks. i would call the taxi companies and make sure they can handle your group. if not you could see about renting a van?

http://www.traveljuneau.com/planner/transportation/results.cfm?SubcategoryID=1

There are several whale watching companies in Juneau. Orca Enterprises was alredy mentioned, the one you mentioned in your OP and at least two others I know of. Harv and Marv's is one and Alaska Marine Adventures is another. Their boats might be too small for your group - but I am pretty sure that one of them has a boat big enough for your group. You could probably negotiate a price for the entire boat with them.

Orca has one boat that takes about 15. If you call, you might be able to get the whole boat. All of their captains are trained by Cap Larry and they all work together.

The akwhalewatching boat leaves at Auke Bay. How far is this from the cruise? They charge extra for the transportation (in exchange of giving us a good deal for the excursion). I'm trying to decide if we should first walk around the town, do shopping and eat lunch before we take cabs to Auke Bay or after.

I'm thinking that roundtrip cabs for 12 people could add a significant cost to your whale-watching excursion. Orca Enterprises offers a courtesy shuttle.

Thank you everyone! I called Orca and waiting for their price quote.

I think renting a van or 2 (for 16 of us) is a good option. I was told Mandanhall galcier is accessible by car. Is it worthwile trying? So far my plan is:

morning - whale watching

lunch - I heard there's a famous restaurant nearby the ship dock

shopping

Mandanhall glacier

I'll appreciate if you could share your experience and any recommendation.

just check to see what car rental is available...add that to your costs and then choose. they aren't new, but that boat is. just haven't had much feedback on this board.

if you do rent a car...look at the map

http://www.traveljuneau.com/discover/maps/area/index.cfm

you do NOT want to go BACK to junenu dock area between auke bay (whale watching) and going to mendenhall...that's an hour roundtrip.

mendenhall is near auke bay, best to stay in the area. mendenhall is only about 10 mins (?) from the small boat harbor at auke bay. (you can see the glacier through the mountains as the boats cruise around auke bay)

the way you are planning it, you would be driving back to juneau (30 mins) and then driving back the same way to mendenhall (another 30 mins) then back to juneau (30 mins). there are more things to see driving around the area, check the website (in the link above) to save driving and make more of your time.

verify rental vans are available...cars can be hard to get at times. also, where to pick them up?

Thank you again. For 16 of us, renting cars may not be the most efficient way, so we'll use the whale watching tour shuttle, but instead of coming back to the ship, taking us to the mandallhall glacier. So the plan is the whale watching in the morning, have the shuttle drop us off at a salmon bake place for lunch near mandalhall glacier, and look around the mandallhall glacier in the afternoon.

If you don't mind, would you recommend a nice salmon bake place near mandalhall glacier, preferably from there, we can "walk" to the glacier area?

Thank you again. For 16 of us, renting cars may not be the most efficient way, so we'll use the whale watching tour shuttle, but instead of coming back to the ship, taking us to the mandallhall glacier. So the plan is the whale watching in the morning, have the shuttle drop us off at a salmon bake place for lunch near mandalhall glacier, and look around the mandallhall glacier in the afternoon.

If you don't mind, would you recommend a nice salmon bake place near mandalhall glacier, preferably from there, we can "walk" to the glacier area?

There is a bus that provides service too and from Mendenhall. I costs 5 dollars per person each way. That was last years rate, its probably gone up since gas prices went through the roof. Just another option to consider. By the way, You will see whales with Capt. Larry. His boats are very nice. We are trying Harv and Marv this trip, so I can let you know how it went. We leave tomorrow morning for our 3rd cruise to Alaska. Happy Sailing!

This isn't going to work, the Salmon Bake is NO where near Mendenhall Glacier- for walking and you have no transport between the two, unless you drive or taxi. If you were to get a drop off to the Salmon Bake, this would have to be arranged in advance- IF available from the whale watch operator???

I suggest- depending on your port time, charter a boat and arrange an pick up/drop off at Mendenhall, take the $6 shuttle bus back, then get on a Salmon Bake bus.

Archived