Best time to visit Alaska?

GreatToBeGrammy

Hi,

We were originally booked on Majestic Empress of the North for this weekend, May 19th, but since she went aground Monday, that's not gonna happen :(

Now, we're looking to book a different date for this summer. What is the best time to go to Alaska? I had only researched for May and that was our first choice, but now I'm not sure.

Thanks,

Grammy

I'm sorry your ship isn't going anywhere this weekend. There are some very good deals out there right now for May and June, and even some for July. Statistically - it gets wetter as the summer goes on. Good luck in your search for a replacement cruise.

- It gets wetter as the summer goes on.

This will be our second time to Alaska. The last time we went was in early June of 2005. This time we are going middle June on a cruise-tour. We had perfect weather in June of 2005. I am hoping it will be the same this June.

Happy Sailing~~~:)

We always tell our friends and family to come visit at the end of June or July. There is more daylight then, plus the fishing is great for everything. And the weather is usually good. With this snowy winter it seems like everything is about 3 weeks behind, that's what I'm telling myself anyway, so instead of sun all month of May it should be here by June :) I hope I'm not just living in my own little fantasy!

Thanks for the advice. How is the first part of August for the Inside Passage Cruise?

My daughter is due with our 2nd grandson on July 7th and our friends that are traveling with us are expecting their first granddaughter the end of August. Sooo, we have to work between those dates since we aren't sure if the Empress will go out in June yet. We do have a chance at the August 4th cruise. Hopefully it will be a nice time then. What do you think?

Grammy

I think the first part of August will be a fine time. At least you know if you would have been here next week it would have probably rained on you! Our first trip to Alaska was in the middle of Sept. and it rained sideways everyday, but it was still so beautiful we moved here anyway!

I think maybe you should wait until next March and come up for the start of the Iditarod. Watch the start in Anchorage and then spend sometime in Fairbanks and watch the northern lights. Fly to Nome and watch the finish of the last great race. Gives you a whole different prespective on what Alaska is all about..Just my suggestion.

Archived