Help us select our first HAL Alaska voyage

sppunk

After much debate between ourselves, my wife and I have settled on two finalists for our Alaska cruise - and both are HAL ships! I've been to Alaska once - when I was 16 - and my wife has never been. We're in our mid-20s, are not fans of children and loud games, like quiet moments and generally keep to ourselves on vacation.

I remember some of Alaska (mainly Ketchikan and Juneau) but I was too young to appreciate the beauty, so we're going back! The trip will be in May over Memorial day, and the two itinerary's are below:

HAL Westerdam

Seattle 4 p.m.

At sea ------ ------

Glacier Bay 10 a.m. 7 p.m.

Juneau 7 a.m. 8 p.m.

Sitka 8 a.m. 5 p.m.

Ketchikan 7 a.m. 1 p.m.

Victoria, B.C. 6 p.m. Midnight

Seattle 7 a.m.

HAL Ryndam

Vancouver 5 p.m.

Inside Passage ------ ------

Juneau 2 p.m. 10:30 p.m.

Skagway 7 a.m. 9 p.m.

Glacier Bay 7 a.m. 4 p.m.

Ketchikan 10 a.m. 6 p.m.

Inside Passage ------ ------

Vancouver 7 a.m.

Any one recommend one over the other? I'm edging toward the Westerdam for Sitka and the ship might appeal to us more, since we're ultra-modern design fans.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. We're looking forward to experiencing HAL, especially after our recent Princess experinece where we felt very at home (this after two RCCL cruises that I'd rather not remember parts of!).

Welcome to HAL! I was in my mid-20s when we took out first cruise - HAL to Alaska. We've now been on 5 Alaskan cruises over the years, all on HAL.

For us it would be the Ryndam - without a doubt. We've sailed from both Seattle (I'm a native Washingtonian) and Vancouver. While Seattle is much easier/less expensive for us to fly into, the scenery on our Vancouver cruises has been much, MUCH better - and the seas calmer.

We greatly prefer Skagway to Sitka. Renting a car in Skagway and driving to the Yukon was one of the highlights out of all our Alaskan cruises. It is an easy drive of 1 1/2 hrs. each way. This gives plenty of time to stop and enjoy the scenery. We've been to Sitka 3x. A few years ago, while planning that years Alaskan cruise, I spotted a lovely picture of Sitka. I showed it to DH and said "THIS is what Sitka looks like". We'd never seen the beautiful volcano near Sitka.

As to the ships, I am NOT a fan of the 'Vista' class ships (i.e. Westerdam). I've refused to sail on one. However, we are booked on the Inaugural sailing of a similar type of ship and I'm quite frankly not looking forward to the ship. The 'Vista' cabins are smaller with less storage, than those on the R & S class ships (the Ryandam is one) and there isn't a passenger laundry. While I don't go on vacation to do laundry, I look at having one onboard to use as I look at lifeboats - if I want/need one, there had better be one available.

Victoria is a lovely city and in late May/early June the azaleas and rhodenderon will be beautiful at Butchart Gardens, but you'll basically be in Victoria just for a 'pit stop' - to comply with the Passenger Services Act.

So, as to both itinerary and ship, without a question - the Ryandam.

Thanks for taking the time to post your opinion, Mary Ellen. We will either book an inside or obstruced oceanview to save costs - we will be on a severe budget for this trip for a myriad of reasons. The only reason I'd book the obstruced oceanview is for the "bathtub."

Are Ryndam's inside and obstruced oceanview rooms "better" (ie better space management) than Westerdam's? I assume they are equally fine in quality, as both have undergone refurbishment.

I fully understand saving costs. DH was still in grad school, so our first cabin had a porthole and upper/lower bunks. :eek: The only reason we had the porthole was because that cabin was the same price as the insides, but they did have 2 lower bunks.

If you are looking at the outside cabin only because of the 'tub', you need to know that the 'tub' is small. It isn't suitable for a relaxing soak unless one is under 10 yrs old - or that size. For families travelling with small children, who don't take showers yet, the 'tub' is worthwhile. It will have high sides in part because the bottom of the 'tub' is higher than the bathroom floor. I'm 5'4" and the rim of the 'tub' is about the top of my knee. Not the easiest to get into, but there are plenty of grab bars to help. It is nice that the shower head is on an adjustable rod (but then so is the shower of the inside cabins). This is nice when taking a shower before dinner and wanting to keep my hair dry - or adjusting between DH and me (he is over a foot taller).

I had to go look at HAL's site to see the Westerdam cabins, but I DO prefer the insides of the non-Vista class cabins compared to what is shown there. We had an inside on the Maasdam that looked just like the outside cabins, complete with sofa and curtains, only the shower instead of the 'tub'. I don't see a sofa in either the picture or the diagram of the Westerdam's inside. Actually, the picture of the Westerdam's inside cabin decor looks rather spartan, kind of like a Motel 6. Even though we didn't have a window in our inside on the Maasdam (kind of goes with out saying doesn't it? ;) ), having the curtains made it feel as if there could be window behind the curtains. A much nicer atmosphere than feeling like we're in a closet with a bed. Our cabin looked the picture shown for the Ryndam but we had the beds set up as a queen size, rather than the 2 twins.

Some posters will say you have to have a verandah on the Alaskan cruises. We did for two of our cruises (due to family 'issues'), but we really did NOT use them and only because 'it was there'. So much of the scenery is ALL around the ship, that we didn't like being limited to what happened to be on 'our' side of the ship.

Good luck!

We were on the Statendam to Alaska and did the same trip as the Ryndam. We loved it. Also, we did have an outside cabin, but it wasn't good for seeing the glaciers, but it was no trouble to go on deck to see everything. There are lots of places to get a great view.

Although I like Vistas, I'll also vote for the Ryndam for AK. On a r/t out of Seattle you go out on the ocean-side of Vancouver Island and miss the best of the Inside Passage ... although HAL often jokingly also calls that an Inside Passage cruise.

For economy, I would suggest an inside J (or K) cabin on the Lower Promenade, which is only steps away from the biggest verandah on the ship, the Promenade. :)

Thank you all! J and K sound good - noise issues close to the Promenade can be an issue on many cruises (being above/under clubs, etc.): Does HAL have this issue on the Lower Promenade deck? I'd hate to be kept awake at night and not get a good start on the morning because a disco!

I am looking at Ryndam's deck plans, and the J/K cabins are directly underneath the Wajang/Club HAL/disco - would noise be an issue or is the insulation decent another? I was on a RCCL Mariner cruise a few years' back and under a club and I ended up sleeping in a public lounge twice, it was so bad.

Hands down.....sail out of Vancouver. We have done both, Inside Passage out of Seattle and out of Vancouver, and MUCH prefer out of Vancouver. Just look at the HAL cruise map and you will note that Inside Passage out of Seattle is on the W. side of Vancouver Island.....hello - that is the Pacific Ocean and it can get rough, plus you miss all the great scenery that you will see cruising out of Vancouver with breathtaking scenes on both sides. We are going again this summer......out of Vancouver. We love Skagway, also, and have leased a rent car from Avis to drive to Emerald Lake because when you read the Alaska boards, you will not folks talking over and over about this fabulous drive. Also great horseback riding with Joni at www.yukonhorses.com . So that is my vote. gg

I am casting my vote with the Ryndam too, unless having a balcony at a more reasonable cost, is important. So much of Alaska is what you see while out of your cabin, so cabin does not matter as much, unless you want or need more space or in the case of a suite more TLC and perks.

I think the lower Prominade cabins are some of the best values and the deck is almost right outisde your door.

I am not sure either will satisfy fans of ultra modern design, but all design goes back to the classics and the Ryndam is a classic.

Ryndam over the Westerdam---for a lot of reasons:

Vancouver route is much more scenic than Seattle route.

Ryndam, being smaller, can get a bit closer to the action---like glaciers! :D

Skagway is my preference over Sitka (although I do like both). On my first visit to Alaska I was looking forward to Sitka the most of all the ports; I was very disappointed. It was a real city with traffic and traffic lights. Skagway looked like the 1890's.

Inside cabins on the Ryndam are larger than on Westerdam (except for the J-cat's on Main). All the other insides on the Westerdam could more accurately be called "cabinettes". :eek:

Lower Promenade aft of the atrium on Ryndam will be quiet---the only public room above is the Wajang Theater---and there isn't much that goes on there.

DO NOT expect Ketchikan and Juneau to look anything as you remember. The rustic, 1890's look has been overshadowed by Caribbean jewelry stores. :rolleyes:

But the scenic beauty is still there. And you will have a grand time whichever ship you choose.

Looking at the Ryndam's plans, it looks like you'll be safer with the J cabins that are further away from the laundry area. They seem to be under the Half Moon and Hudson room. These are mainly used by groups, so IF they are used, it would most likely be during the day. Those cabins that are closer to the laundry, appear to the ones under the theater. I can't remember HAL showing any of the Die Hard or Terminator action type movies that would tend to be on the nosier side. Hopefully, someone who has actually stayed in one of thse cabins can give better information.

A agree with Carol/mamaofami about the many viewing areas on HAL ships. IMHO this is one of HAL's strongest points for Alaskan cruises. Being able to view the glaciers etc from the bow (forward Promanade) or from the observation area (forward Lido) is wonderful. There are plenty of other areas (indoor and out). If you are planning on viewing outdoors there is so much open deck space that you don't have to 'stake out' an area all day.

You'll need to check the Alaska forum for the latest info on renting a car in Skagway. We also used Avis, but seem to remember hearing they have closed their office in Skagway. It may be re-opened, but it is best to check for current information. Ther are other small rental companies. Also, I'm not remembering your location, but if you are a Canadian, it isn't possible to rent a car in the US (Skagway) and drive back into Canada - due to Canadian laws.

Those cabins that are closer to the laundry, appear to the ones under the theater. I can't remember HAL showing any of the Die Hard or Terminator action type movies that would tend to be on the nosier side. Hopefully, someone who has actually stayed in one of thse cabins can give better information.

Mary Ellen, my preferred cabin on the S-ships is J-345. It's the first inside aft of the laundry on Lower Promenade, and I have been in it on the Statendam, Ryndam, and Veendam. It's quiet.

And it's very handy to the great outdoors. :)

Does HAL have this {noise} issue on the Lower Promenade deck?
... to the ones under the theater. I can't remember HAL showing any of the Die Hard or Terminator action type movies that would tend to be on the nosier side.
On the Veendam in Dec we had Mission Impossible III with a last showing at 10:15p. I'm sure that night the forward J cabins didn't get to sleep much before midnight! :) However, the K cabins are under the dining room, which pretty much goes dead around 10:30p.

Mary Ellen, my preferred cabin on the S-ships is J-345. It's the first inside aft of the laundry on Lower Promenade, and I have been in it on the Statendam, Ryndam, and Veendam. It's quiet.

And it's very handy to the great outdoors. :)

Absolutely. I like the entire row, even next to the laundry.

Thank you, all! Do all Ryndam inside rooms have the couch? I can certainly see why J is prefered - steps from the promenade! - but any K or L on Main Deck would be fine with us. We walk 5 miles a day - a flight of stairs is nothing to us I swear.

We just got off the Caribbean Princess and never took the elevator - it in all it's massive 16 decks!

Also, I'd love to see a list of prices for the similar cruise this year - I'm guess the Zaandam (spelling?) is the similar cruise to look at. However, I can't find brochure prices - anyone know where those are located? HAL's site says no pricing is available because no availability, and the 2007 brochure doesn't list prices like most cruiselines' brochures do.

sppunk, as far as I know all the insides (with the possible exception of the handicapped rooms) have a couch/love seat.

I was in a K-cat on Lower Promenade, aft of the aft elevators on the Maasdam. It had the same great access to the deck that the J-cat has and it was nice and quiet, too. The only (small) problem was that it was a bit of a hike to the forward public rooms. Not bad, but further out than my favorite J-cat.

Archived