we are stumped on shore excursions on HAL Veendam leaving June 8th,2007

We go for more economical touring, and don't take many ship's tours. So, here's my suggestions:

Rome: I would definitely do a private tour for Rome. You need the help bypassing the lines.

Barcelona, Spain: the hop on/off bus is great, after a walk down Las Ramblas to the Cataluyna Plaza. Fascinating city, and the HOHO bus takes you everywhere.

Gibraltar,UK: I was just there, and it's not much. Take either a taxi tour of the rock, or the ship's tour. If you want to go on your own, walk down the street from the dock on the right, and catch the #3 bus. All day is about 2 Euros, and it takes you to Europa Point, the tram up to the rock and caves, and downtown for some extremely expensive shopping!

Lisbon, Portugal: your ship's shuttle should take you to the main plaza right at the entrance to the Baxia, the shopping area. There is a stand to buy tickets for several different bus tours. Right around the corner is the stop to take the electric tram up to St. Michel's for the view.

Paris: I advise the ship's "on your own" bus transpo, then get on the L'Open Tour hop on/off bus. Buy your tickets online and give the voucher to the driver. Great trip around the city, and then get off where you want. If it's the Louvre, then I'd catch a cab directly there, but buy your tickets online first to avoid lines to get in.

London: again, the Big Bus hop on/off tour bus, buying the tickets in advance online again. Great city overview, and we got off at the Tower of London, and spent about 3 hours. The Crown Jewels are there. The British Museum is free and huge.

Gibraltar,UK: I was just there, and it's not much.

quote]

:p Oh how can you say that, I have lived in Gibraltar for 24 years and it is great. Today was brilliant, the sun was shining and I would have loved a trip up the rock.

There are rock (taxi)tours and cable car tours, they are the best way of seeing around. The benefit of the taxi is that you have your own guide.

I think the taxis are not cheap. I could find out for anyone interested. I work in an office just above the big square over the taxi rank. People watching over lunch in the square can be very pleasant.

The cable car tour can be done as HOHO or as a one way, ride up and walk down seeing the sights.

You can get the number 3 bus to the lighthouse/view the mosque and perhaps find the shrine to our lady of Europe. I have no idea of the opening hours, if anyone asks, I would find out.

the number 4 bus will take you to Catalan Bay, which is a nice fishing village. Lunch at the Village Inn is good if you like fresh fish.

English 'Afternoon tea' is really nice at the Rock Hotel or the Caleta Palace hotel. The former has the best views and I would say that it is a good place to visit for a quiet afternoon if the weather is not so good.

Try this link for more ideas http://www.gibnet.com/tourist/general.htm

Strong connections with the military, and memorials and artefacts to WWII remain.

there are some nice bits of architecture, but look above street level to see the best bits. Unfortunately Govt is not very interested in heritage and have allowed (and are still allowing) too much development.

You can always do tax free shopping on Main Street.

Well, ollienbertsmum, as we say in the US, you caught me telling you your baby is ugly!! So sorry!

Your post is much more accurate than mine, even though we did most of what you described. However, we were in port with two other ships and the traffic was horrendous. As I also posted, the #3 bus is the most economical way to do it all. It's just that we got stuck in traffic so much, our day was mostly spent on a bus!

The weather and the views, however, were spectacular.

Peggy

I missed your apology until today. Gibraltar traffic is getting ridiculous. My kids do not understand why I tell them we should just walk because it is quicker.

The frontier traffic is moving much more freely, so now loads more people drive into Gibraltar instead of leaving the car in Spain when they come to work. So now there is nowhere to park the car so everyone has to drive around all day in traffic jams going nowhere. It is a good job that fuel is cheap. However we will have to have something done about it soon (like more buses so we really will not need to use our cars at all).

I love the fact that you discovered the number 3 bus. I didn't know that tourists found it. My Dad says that the number 4 is the best value bus in Europe (he gets pensioner rate). They really should promote it as a HOHO, except when the schools come out because there is never enough room for the kids.

Yesterday the Navigator was in and today Disney Magic. I never used to notice but now every day I look over at the port and see who is there. I have to try not to comment to my kids. They get so fed up of me using the C word (cruise). Every morning I make a pledge not to use it and by 8.30 some reason for saying 'cruise' has occured. We still have 2 months to go :D

Ollienbertsmum

Thanks for all the great information on Gibralter. I am really looking forward to our stop there in September.

I do have a question for you.... On the Gibralter web site it says that the cable car does not run on Sunday (the day we will be there) but there is a live thread on one of the boards and someone just said that it does. Would you please confirm which is correct.

Thanks so much

Lynn

What date in September are you coming to Gibraltar? In September the schedule changes from Summer to Winter. I am not sure if that makes a difference. I rarely notice the cable car going these days. When my daughters were small we would look out for it. I have only been in a couple of time. I am not a great fan of heights. I would say it is one of the best ways to get up to the rock though. I will research properly - probably not tomorrow because I have a busy day.

I visited the tourist office today and had a word with a friendly taxi driver.

the Cable car opens on Sundays between 1st April and 31st October. It cost £8 for the return trip and if you want to go to the Nature reserve sites at the same time - mainly St Michael's Cave, you pay another £8.

First car up is 09.30 last car down 17.45.

You can also take a taxi tour. If you have 4 or more people it will cost you £16 per person or 25 euro each. If there are fewer in the taxi it will cost you more per head. By going in a taxi you have your personal guide. They do give you a commentary. You can include a visit to the lighthouse on your tour, but then you do not stop at the photo opportunity Jew's Gate. If it is a windy day the lighthouse is a bit of a chore as it really is a wind trap.

You will find taxis outside your ship waiting for business. The driver said there would be about 20 there. They like to fill up the taxi's so would encourage you to 'find a friend', or even put 2 groups together to have 6 or 8 in the car. If you really want to be alone you would be better getting to the Main Tourist square 'Casemates' which is through the arches at the end of Main Street. He assured me there would be taxis there. I would say you may need to wait a few minutes on a Sunday morning , but I am not around there on a Sunday morning.

The tour lasts a couple of hours.

I wondered if you wanted to know church service times, you can get a choice of Catholic, methodist and Anglican all on Main Street. I do not know them all by heart!

If you take the cable car you can also take a visit around the Alameda Gardens and wildlife park (open 10.00 - 6.00) www.gibraltar/alameda

For botanists it can be a treat, although late summer might not show the plants off at their best. It is a popular place for families with young kids - but more so in the winter months.

Main street shops will be open, although not all due to it being Sunday. There will be an opportunity to buy perfume, alcohol, cigarettes and some elctronic goods. Tourists seem to be catered for.

Morrisons is open on a Sunday. It is towards the sea front. Ask any one for directions.

Lunches are good in Casemates or out of town - the Marina or at Catalan Bay. If you were in a taxi your driver could help you. I am not sure about the availability of maps.

Anything else you need to know??

Archived