Cruises available 3 months earlier in US than UK

pmymmw

I was just wondering if anybody else out there had experienced this problem. We have spotted a cruise on Caribbean Princess for October 2008 that we really want to do, it leaves on the 19th and is for 7 days to Canada/New England. We like this itinerary because it is 7 days, which means we can spend some time in New York before hand.

This cruise was released in the US back in April (I can't remember the exact date) but when we tried to book it in the UK we were told it wouldn't be released until 16th July! That is 3 months after the US release! This causes 2 problems for us:

1). When it gets to the 16th July it is conceivable that this cruise could be sold out.

2). If this happens we might not be able to find an alternative as all competitors cruises will have been out for 3 months.

What would you recommend, wait for 16th July and hope we can get the cabin we want CB or find a alternative on a competitor and book it now?

Does anybody know why Princess do this? Do they not value their UK business?

I have read quite a bit about how Princess charges more to UK passengers, etc.

I wonder if English people (in general) don't gamble.

The cruise lines are able to keep cruise fares low because of the gambling on board.

So maybe all the cruise lines tend to discriminate- trying to get "stupid" American passengers first!

I was just wondering if anybody else out there had experienced this problem. We have spotted a cruise on Caribbean Princess for October 2008 that we really want to do, it leaves on the 19th and is for 7 days to Canada/New England. We like this itinerary because it is 7 days, which means we can spend some time in New York before hand.

This cruise was released in the US back in April (I can't remember the exact date) but when we tried to book it in the UK we were told it wouldn't be released until 16th July! That is 3 months after the US release! This causes 2 problems for us:

1). When it gets to the 16th July it is conceivable that this cruise could be sold out.

2). If this happens we might not be able to find an alternative as all competitors cruises will have been out for 3 months.

What would you recommend, wait for 16th July and hope we can get the cabin we want CB or find a alternative on a competitor and book it now?

You might try booking it through a US TA. You could use a US friend's address for this, ;) then when it it time for final payment, change the address to your UK address.:)

Couldn't you put a deposit down on a competitor cruise line and then if you are successful in booking Princess in three months, just cancel the booking on the competitor cruise.

I know you can't post TA details on the boards put if I post my email address could you send them to me privately?

I see Julian has given you his e-mail address. It was through him that I found my TA so I would imagine it will be the same people!

I have read quite a bit about how Princess charges more to UK passengers, etc.

I wonder if English people (in general) don't gamble.

The cruise lines are able to keep cruise fares low because of the gambling on board.

So maybe all the cruise lines tend to discriminate- trying to get "stupid" American passengers first!

WHAT? Princess is a North American company - just like any UK company, they are apt to sell to their own market before going overseas. Pretty simple.

WHAT? Princess is a North American company - just like any UK company, they are apt to sell to their own market before going overseas. Pretty simple.

Really- that doesn't make sense since many British passengers travel on Princess. I think it is more likely that they are targeting American passengers because they gamble and they are used to tipping. That's my guess. Why else do they charge more for British passengers? Also, Princess is registered in Bermuda (thought to be an English protectorate). And Princess ships sail the world not just North America.

The same thing happens here in Australia. We do not get the releases of new itineraries until months later and then it is at a much higher price when you convert the cost over to Aussie dollars.

I learnt a few years ago about using a U.S. T.A. and haven't looked back.

Jennie

Really- that doesn't make sense since many British passengers travel on Princess. I think it is more likely that they are targeting American passengers because they gamble and they are used to tipping. That's my guess. Why else do they charge more for British passengers? Also, Princess is registered in Bermuda (thought to be an English protectorate). And Princess ships sail the world not just North America.
Do you notice that P&O Australia is just starting to open up sales to North America? They have sold to their market first and now are seeing that they might sell to other markets. I think your guess is incorrect because it's well known that British cruise passengers spend twice as much on alcohol as do North Americans and alcohol is where on board revenue is the highest. Princess ships may be registered in Bermuda and they may sail the world, but their primary market is North America and so they sell there first.

P&O/Princess have a round Australia cruise for 28 days on the Sun Princess next summer (Nov-April). They are selling it here in Oz for one price and to North America for another. Guess which price is the cheapest? Yes, it is the North America and Canadian prices.

A friend from Canada wanted to book an Aussie friend at the same time as she made her booking and it wasn't allowed. One price for one part of the world and another price for us "down under".

Jennie

Also, Princess is registered in Bermuda (thought to be an English protectorate). And Princess ships sail the world not just North America.

Princess is owned by the Carnival Corporation which is a corporation organized and existing in accordance with the laws of the Republic of Panama.

I know Princess would be very happy but I seriously doubt the ship will sell out 15 months in advance.

Bill

The same thing happens here in Australia. We do not get the releases of new itineraries until months later and then it is at a much higher price when you convert the cost over to Aussie dollars.

I learnt a few years ago about using a U.S. T.A. and haven't looked back.

Jennie

It just takes us Americans more time to make the committment. So, it should work out about the same, lol:D

Archived