Help with Panama Canal Cruise

legalgirl

Looking at either Holland America's Volendam or RC's Brillance of the Seas in Feb. to do the in and out Panama Canal cruise. Itinerary is almost identical with the exception of Colon vs. Cristobal and Curacao vs. Grand Cayman. Also, the HA has one less sea day with a stop at Half Moon Cay. Can anyone weigh in on their experiences with the stops mentioned? Trying to make a good decision.

Holland America vs RCCL are 2 completely different atmospheres.

If you would be satisfied with either itinerary, then, while you wait for replies here, I would start reading the HA and RCCl boards to get more info re the ambiance on the ships themselves. Compare age demographics, ship size, nightlife, service, food, rooms etc. You'll find differences that may sway your decision. Good luck and have fun.

Comparing Curacao to Grand Cayman is like apples to oranges.

G. Cayman is for beach( gorgeous white sand) and water sport lovers... Shopping in designer shops built to please cruisers. In Curacao you can spend the time walking, shopping or sittiing at an outside cafe watching the coolest bridge do its thing. Not so commercial, architectually beautiful and very Dutch. We chose not to do any tours, because we found the town and people so interesting.

Colon and Cristobal are equal. Generally just a walk around for souveniers or a loading and unloading spot for excursions. If you're doing the in-out canal trip, you might consider a ferry excursion that takes you thru all the locks and then returns you to the ship by bus so you see the area. (Otherwise you will go back and forth thru only, I think it's 2 locks. ) The tour is a full day of going thru all the lakes and locks that the ship will not do. It's very pretty and impressive. My husband is an engineeer and loves history, so the tour was his favorite on the cruise. We did Celebrity, so I'm not sure if all the lines offer it.

Whatever you choose, you'll have a great time. Good luck.

A lot depends on your age. On longer voyages, when school is in session, HAL tends to have a higher average age. If you're younger, you might perfer a younger group of passengers, so I'd go with RCCI. My personal preference is Curacao over GC. GC has gotten way overcrowded in the past few years.

Did this same trip on Hal's Amsterdam last fall. Half Moon Cay is a lovely beach day and very relaxing. It is very low stress unlike GC which can be stressful if many ships are in or the ocean is rough and you get to miss it entirely. We loved the Amsterdam, but we are "more mature" (not old, heavens no!) and not into late nights etc. The two lines are very different and you are the only one who can decide which sort of cruise you prefer.

Enjoy:).

B.

We haven't ever sailed HAL, so I can't give you a comparrison of the ships. We did the 11 night Panama Canal on Brilliance on December and had a wonderful time. The ship is gorgeous, the ports were great and the canal itself is amazing. We did it thinking it would be a one-time itinerary, but are now planning on doing it again.

I thought you may enjoy some pictures from the cruise....

Last year we went to the Panama Canal on Brilliance and enjoyed ourselves so much that we booked Brilliance again to Panama Canal for January 2008. It has a couple itinerary changes, so it won't be the same old, same old. We are treating ourselves to a balcony this time just for extra luxury.

We love Radiance class ships and love the putt putt golf and basket ball. We don't climb the rock wall, but enjoy watching others do so. We play ping pong. Brilliance has gyrosco[pically balanced billiards tables. We like the theater on Brilliance. It is very comfortable. We also enjoy the premium restaurants Chops and Portofino.

What we did in Panama that Hubby enjoyed so much he wants to repeat the experience is we took the train that runs the entire length of the canal. It is the very train used during the building of the canal, but mercifully it is air conditioned now.

my husband mentioned the train and I had not read about anyone on CC taking it, so thank you for mentioning it was a good experience. we are on Princess during New Years and can't decide what to do in Panama. have any of you ported in Cartagena, Colombia yet? Princess does not have any optionals for this port as of this time and I understand you really should not go further than the shops by the dock. We are to be in port there from 9am until 3pm and since we have never been there, really don't want to stay on the ship, but we aren't fools either, know the reputation of this country and wonder what the security is around the port?? any information on Cartagena would be very much appreciated.

Archived