Day 5 Maasdam Easter Adventure!

super_grover

Day 5, easter monday, saw us pull into Barbados.

It was hot! hot! hot! We docked a little bit earlier than the schedule had predicted and walked from the boat to the pier buildings. The folks from Princess got a little shuttle bus.

The walk to town is about 20-25 minutes, not all of it sidewalked and you'll probably be continually asked if you want a taxi. They only cost $5 but if you feel like a walk, it's not a horrible way to get downtown.

It might have been because everything was closed, but the downtown of Bridgetown seemed very run-down.

Things are very british-inspired. It's kind of neat, but the whole thing could use a coat of paint. It also rained the whole time.

Cheap gifts to be had in the port stores, I got the bf a lovely tie/watch combo for about $10.

Since mom's claustrophobia kicked in when we checked out the self-service laundry rooms, I did a bunch of laundry in the bathtub. It took forever to dry, but it was fine washing wise. I should have taken it all to the laundrymat and thrown it in the dryer though.

I finally tracked down our room steward (the lovely and always attentive Yrizard) and had him show me how the shower knobs worked. The one of the left controls the volume of water. The one on the right is the temperature spectrum. One thing that bugged me (still) was that I couldn't get the water really cold, which I wanted to sooth by wikid sunburn.

In my notes I have something about some mean people at the slots, but I'm not sure what that was about. Also, the sugar free desserts are really tasty.

We didn't do much in Bridgetown, but feel free to ask any questions :)

Thanks for your report.

We never walk into town in Barbados -- we use a taxi. Especially since a few years ago when the captain advised not to walk into town (on a Sunday). A couple were mugged -- he was badly gashed by a knife defending his wife as the thieves made off with her purse.

Last time I was there, I was on a tour bus and the driver had on a cricket

match on the radio. really loud, we ask him to put some musicon instead.I think he wanted to kill us. I can,t believe they take that game seriously.

Archived