How long has cc been around?

I see all these user names with 5k plus posts and just have to wonder how long have you guys been posting??? I have know about cc for a few years - but didn't really start posting until last year. I feel like I am on the board all the time yet I have under 400 posts! I can't image how long it will take me to get to 5k!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy

Cruise Critic was going strong in 2000 when I originally joined but there was a change somewhere in 2001ish? where many lost all their credits for post. Some were able to get their numbers back and others had their counter reset. I was one of those that lost a few but not nearly as many post as some did.

BonVoyage

Dawna

I see all these user names with 5k plus posts and just have to wonder how long have you guys been posting??? I have know about cc for a few years - but didn't really start posting until last year. I feel like I am on the board all the time yet I have under 400 posts! I can't image how long it will take me to get to 5k!!!!!!!!!!

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

The Cruise Critic board has been around since 1995.......and there might be people that 'go back' that far but still do not have many posts, either because of not posting, losing the count number when changes were done to this board. or whatever other reasons......on the other hand some people that just joined few monts ago got already thousands of posts posted.

I, personally prefer posts that actually deal with cruising and ask or provide constructive and informative answers connected in some way with cruising.

So perhaps your "400 posts" mean a lot more than the 5 or more thousands of posts of others.

I do not consider whatever number of posts credited to a CC member to be important nor am I impress by them .

After reading many of the posts I find some posters with large number of posts to be very knowledgable, very dedicated to this board and helpful to others but at the same time some posters just with small number of posts provide good information.......on the other hand there are thousands and thousands of posts that I have not read...or find them of no interest or value for me......but others might find them useful.

Wes

Hi Kathy,

The Cruise Critic board has been around since 1995.......and there might be people that 'go back' that far but still do not have many posts, either because of not posting, losing the count number when changes were done to this board. or whatever other reasons......on the other hand some people that just joined few monts ago got already thousands of posts posted.

I, personally prefer posts that actually deal with cruising and ask or provide constructive and informative answers connected in some way with cruising.

So perhaps your "400 posts" mean a lot more than the 5 or more thousands of posts of others.

I do not consider whatever number of posts credited to a CC member to be important nor am I impress by them .

After reading many of the posts I find some posters with large number of posts to be very knowledgable, very dedicated to this board and helpful to others but at the same time some posters just with small number of posts provide good information.......on the other hand there are thousands and thousands of posts that I have not read...or find them of no interest or value for me......but others might find them useful.

Wes

I've been on Cruise Critic since 1995, when it was on AOL only. Except for the meet & mingle boards, I generally post only if and when I feel I have something to contribute to a thread, or if I have a question. Over the years I have noticed certain posters have a lot of "me too" posts (kind if like this one) which may build up the post count and are indicative of their enthusiasm for these boards, but not necessarily indicative of extensive cruising knowledge.

I started posting on Cruise Critic when I found it on AOL back in the 90's, several years prior to my first cruise. My screen name back then was "The Cruise Virgin". I changed my name after I took that first cruise since "The Cruise Virgin" no longer applied. ;) I've seen quite a few changes on these boards and have lost my post count several times. I agree with wieslaw in the theory that you can't judge a poster's credibility by the number of posts they have (not directing this thought toward any poster in particular just a generalization). Many of us lurk until we feel we have something of value to add while others feel compelled to add their own little tidbit of redundant information to a thread where the original question was answered about 50 times and then 100 posters chime in to agree with the posters who already answered. :) I think Cruise Critic is an invaluable tool for us cruisers though and am glad it is still around after all these years! Keep posting! :D

Many of us lurk until we feel we have something of value to add while others feel compelled to add their own little tidbit of redundant information to a thread where the original question was answered about 50 times and then 100 posters chime in to agree with the posters who already answered. :)

Yeah, me too. Hey, that's another post!

I first found cruise critic when I first joined AOL back in 1996. Back then it was exclusivley available only on AOL. I don't know when they switched to the web based format. I've been off and on these boards over the years, and my current screen name is probably my 3rd or 4th (first being my AOL screen name).

I have no life...lol. ;)

Yes you do have a life and that picture of your daughters proves it :) I only wish you were closer to Florida so you could A. Cruise more often and B. Be nearer to those that think you have a great life and lots of time to make a lot of us CC'ers smile :D

Me too! :D

I found CC within a day of plugging in my very first PC back in 1997. And that was right before a cruise, so God only knows what I was looking for. I'll have to "Ask Jeeves".

It was on AOL, and I remember trying to keep up with all the posts to no avail, and that was only in that AOL community.

When they changed to "the internet" in 2000, I really didn't like the change. I didn't feel like I had my bearings, but with all the enhancements over the years, I've grown to like it (except during the WSOD periods).

When they converted the boards in 2004, and everyone lost their post counts, I was shocked to see in 4 years I had just broken 100. :cool:

Out of curiousity I went back to the first thread on the first page of THIS version of CC. It dated back to April 1, 2004 and there were a lot of names I recognized (many still posting, some disappeared). The topic: what is wrong with these boards!:rolleyes:

I, too, don't care how many posts I've made - it's not important to me. However, I have to disagree with the comment about the number of posts being of little significance. The reason I say this the number of times I've read comments about this person or that person being a "troll" because their post was only their first (or second or third) and they've got some major complaint that they are posting about. If the count really didn't matter, why are they immediately considered to be a "troll"? Granted, some of them probably are, but there are also a lot of people who just lurk and only speak up when something really bothers them.

Sometimes I'm actually a little embarrassed by my post number count (don't I have anything else to do :confused: ).

I've been on the boards since 2000, I also had to chnage my screen name, I also lost a lot of posts. I was amazed that it affected people the way it does, it's never been an issue for me.

The troll thing I can kind of understand. Although I don't think a persons credibility has anything to do with the post count, it does seem that those with very low numbers, coming to post nothing but negativity and then leaving have to be considered as such. How many times have I read a horrid review, followed by hundreds of comments and the OP never comes back, well.....lots.

Most of all, I think it is a friendly group of people who share a common interest and some of us are more chatty than others. My husband never comes to CC (heck, he never gets near a computer) didn't understand my affection for it. Then, we met a large group of CC'rs this week on Liberty and he realised why I like it so much, he enjoyed every one of them.

• Administrators
I I don't know when they switched to the web based format.

We went to the "web" in early 2000.

Laura

I was on the AOL boards for many years, lost a lot of post counts when they switched over. But, I am here everyday for hours. It's the only way I can make it until my next cruise. I am truely addicted to cruising and these boards. :rolleyes:

Archived