Getting to Marigot?

Ripley

The fastest way to Marigot is by cab.

Here is a link to the taxi drivers website listing fares.

http://www.taxisxm.com/rate.htm

You can take an island bus (which looks like a minivan) and save 4.50 pp each way but it will take a lot more time since you first have to get to downtown P-Burg and then find a bus heading there.

The water taxi ferry service does a loop from the ship's pier to the downtown P-Burg pier to Bobby's Marina at the end of P-Burg and back to the ship. You should just take a cab from the pier to wherever you are going. Why not just rent a car for the week, cheaper then taking taxis all week. Car rental places at the airport or at some hotels.

TBB, thanks for the info and the link! What is your opinion about French side vs. Dutch? Either one prettier, cleaner, safer, better shopping?

Ripley

The shopping in P-Burg is like ST Thomas. Marigot is more French, more high end stuff. The French vacation a lot here, lots of high end restaurants and stores.

Hi Big Booper, this trip, we're not cruising but staying for a week. In Simpson Bay. Is there such a thing as a water taxi that goes from S.Bay to Marigot? Thank you.

Aquamania offers a shopping trip to Marigot, across the lagoon by boat. They depart from the Pelican Marina, which is in the Simpson Bay area.

French side St Martin is cosmopolitan and Chic. Sidewalk cafes beckon patrons in for coffee and croissants, while boutiques open with designer clothing, jewelry and perfumes. The newly completed West Indies Mall is a sight to behold on Marigot Waterfront and is home to hair stylists, gourmet delis and fantastic boutiques. The famous "Market Place" is also situated on the water front, with local crafts, fresh fish, fruit and vegetables, and an array of spices and souvenirs. The Fort overlooking Marigot offers spectacular views and photo ops.

Boat departs daily from Pelican Marina at 9am. Just $10 pp.

That said, do consider renting a car to be able to experience more of what the island has to offer.

gary

Ooh la la, sounds like my kind of place! Are renatl cars relatively easy to find, and any idea of one-day rental fees?

Thanks so much for your advice!

Ripley

As I said, rental car agencies at the airport and at many hotels. Where are you staying? To fully appreciate the island, you need a car. Dozens of world-class restaurants and beaches. You could stay a month and eat lunch and dinner out every day and never have to repeat yourself.

I will post a link later that goes to a terrific guide to the island.

I agree rent a car. St. Martin is an easy island to drive. Look into the price of a rental for an entire week and you will be pleasantly surprised. We stayed in the Simpson Bay area for 2 weeks last year and we rented a car for the entire time. Simpson Bay is a good starting point for many great 1/2 day adventures. Enoy your vacation!

• 2 weeks later...

We spent a week on St.M several years ago, staying at L'Habitat, which is in the NW "top" corner of the island. Marigot is wonderful! We rented a car for the week, and agree this is the thing to do. The best food on the island is in a town just north of Marigot called Grand Case! This place has a large number of outdoor and indoor eateries. Don't miss it. If it still exists, the restaurant Il Neptuno was the best Italian/seafood I've ever had in my life. Enjoy!:D

TAXI ARRANGEMENT FROM THE DOCK

- into Philipsburg and back to the ship.

Wife and I went ashore at (Dutch) Sint Maarten on May 2nd,2007,

to find there's a reliable and efficiently-run Taxi Shuttle service from the pretty dockside area

into Philipsburg proper, where jewellery shops abound

and where I picked up my new digital camera.

For five US Dollars U.S.$5.00 per person,

they'll strap a fluorescent orange band onto your wrist.

The band has three small perforated tabs on it, numbered 1, 2 and 3.

The guy driving you into the city's shopping center will relieve your wristband of Tab 1.

(he gets paid whatever, for however many of them he turns in at the end of the day)

He'll leave you in the town to shop, with the advice that,

when you've had enough and are ready to return to the dock and your ship,

just stand on any street corner and 'flag' your bright orange wrist-band in the air!

Within 5 mins. another taxi will pick you up, along with others,

and take you right back to the touristy Dock area

- where he'll relieve your wristband of Tab 2 (he gets pd. per tab.too)

Tab no.3 (..we didn't realize this!)

is for the golf-cart ride out along the pier, right back to your ship's gangway!..

(which can be quite a walk in the noonday sun!),

so we kinda ripped ourselves off by not knowing and not taking advantage of this last cartage,

which woulda been welcome after 2 hrs. shopping in the heat!

So now you know.

For $5 all told, it's a good deal....and it's run very efficiently.

Our impression of the general tourism product in Philipsburg and the dock area

is that of a well-oiled machine.

Sorry but we didn't go anywhere else on the island..

just into the city for shopping and back to the ship,

but I can tell you about the transiting arrangement.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived