Rum Pointe on own?

doodlebug1016

Is this possible? Our plan is to do the Caymans on our own without booking an excursion.

If not possible any suggestions of what to do?

THANKS!

We were ther in April and it is one of my favorite spots.... We initally thought of renting jeeps but we ended up with a driver and a van for all 6 of us. It was a great tour of the island stopping in various places and we were able to spend about 2.5 hours there. We had lunch and swam in the beautiful water. I though it was just enough time. It is an hour to and from Rum Point and driving on the other side takes some practice. We booked thru

http://grandcaymancruiseexcursions.com

They were on time and got us back to ship in plenty time for a little shopping. We stopped at the Rum factory which I would skip next time. He brought us along the coast stopped at places to take pictures and brought us to a cliff area that was breath taking.

doodlebug, I was wondering the same thing. I prefer not to take a tour and get to Rum Point somehow, without having to rent a car (although I will if it's easy enough).

Someone who has been, please recommend a way to get to RP without a tour.

quiltsn, thanks for the info. If I wanted to take a tour, that sure looks like a good one. It's just that with limited time, I would like to do more time at RP.

I'd rent a car. It's an easy drive there (there's very little traffic over that direction). If you go just a little past where you'd turn to go to Rum Point, you can see the blow holes. The botanical garden is also over that direction. Plus, if you have a car, you can venture past Rum Point to the place where all the star fish are located.

We used Andy's, but I know there are a lot of other companies on the island. Some will even pick you up in the port area.

We always get a car that has the steering on the left. We have not had any problems and it seemed like it made it easier for us. Plus, the Cayman drivers have been some of the most polite drivers we've ever encountered.

If you do drive, make sure you don't miss your turn off for Rum Point. I don't have a map in front of me, but it seems like the road is Frank Sound. There's no light, just a couple of stop signs. There's a town just past this...but I can't think of the name. If you end up there...you've gone to far. But there aren't that many roads in GC. It's very easy to navigate there.

I prefer not to take a tour and get to Rum Point somehow, without having to rent a car (although I will if it's easy enough). Someone who has been, please recommend a way to get to RP without a tour.

You really only have three options for getting to Rum Point from the cruise ship...

1. Take a tour that includes Rum Point as a stop.

2. Rent a car and drive there.

3. Take a cab there (about $100 each way).

That's really about it. It's about a 45 minute drive from Georgetown. It's not that close...certainly not walking distance or anything. :D

Thank you twinkletoes and bookbabe. I think I may try to rent a car and do it that way. I may have others with me - not sure how many, so perhaps we could rent a van or something.

Good advice twinkletoes - I'll remember that.

I am looking forward to it.

Thank you twinkletoes and bookbabe. I think I may try to rent a car and do it that way. I may have others with me - not sure how many, so perhaps we could rent a van or something.

Good advice twinkletoes - I'll remember that.

I am looking forward to it.

Have a great time! We love driving around on Grand Cayman. There's a lot to see...and it's safe to do it on your own. :)

Archived