Priceline - Marriott Hotels Sydney

Thanks to all who offered me encouragement and congrats on getting the Marriott. I'm sure my wife will be very pleased with the hotel. Sounds like I'm thinking a lot like "ShamrockFL" and not taking great pleasure with the final bill. I also need a place to stay for 3 nights earlier in February, so I will again bid on the Marriott.

john

Hey John,

My faith has been restored. Having just returned from Seaside, New Jersey, on the Jersey shore, and having paid $156 for one night in a flea bag motel :mad: , I am looking forward immensely to the Marriott. I know it's the heart of summer tourist season at the beach, but heck, it was a weeknight. But there really wasn't anyting else around so I was stuck with it, and actually glad to have someplace to stay! :( Now I just have to get my bid accepted.

Glad you got your bid accepted, one less thing to worry about before going away. I got rejected at $150 for Feb 8, 9 and 10, so I'll keep inching the bid up a dollar or two at a time.

Please post some info here when you return if you have something others would benefit knowing about the Marriott (ie location, food, transportation,etc.)

thanks,

john

Does anyone know what the views are from different rooms at the Marriott Sydney Harbour and whether the hotel will honor requests for specific room locations since I used PL?

My bid was accepted for Feb. 8 - 10 for US $151.00 per night.

john

JEBurton:

The are basically three views:

City View -- Opera House View -- Harbour Bridge View

City View: Downtown buildings.

Opera House View: Will give you more of a view of the water than the Harbour Bridge View will allow.

Harbour Bridge View: Will give you a view of the Harbour Bridge, cruise ship terminal and part of the Circular Quay area......very little water.

There is a much taller building on the harbour side of the Marriott which blocks a panoramic view of both the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge from any one room location.

The Opera House and Harbour Bridge view rooms are higher priced rooms than the City view room.

Hope that helps!

Hi,

I'm trying to book one of the Marriotts on Priceline...still working to get a good price thru them since I will be there 3-21 thru 3-24 during peak season but they keep coming back with a price of $175. (Btw, does anyone know if the price will include tax?)

And also trying to book on my own and checking to see which Marriott would be convenient for me since we are getting off the ship on 3-21 and staying in Sydney for 3 more days.

I know that the Marriott at circular quay is close to the ship but wonder if I need to be near there since I will be staying for 3 days and can stay elsewhere? Anyone thoughts on the Marriott on College street? Wonder what kind of neighborhood it is in?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Ann

Congratulations John......and do consider yourself lucky! The same hotel for the December 28th thru January 1st period is over $500/night.....and no priceline bidding is accepted for that period.

That is an extreme comparison. Anything within viewing range of Sydney's NYE fireworks is at a heavy premium. Many motels with excellent fireworks views also have minimum stays for those dates, some up to 1 week minimum.

Oh, the views on NYE are absolutely sensational, and the rooms do sell out at that price. Normal rack rate for the Marriot is around $320AU per night ($275US), so $100 per night saving is a good buy. That is for 5 star in a central location in one of the worlds major cities - Same price as 1 star in NY City.

Cheers,

Ann

We stayed at the Marriott on College St some years ago and found it very comfortable and in a nice location (about 10-15 min walk from major attractions and Circular Quay). It's more like a typical European hotel and less like the typical large Marriotts with large lobbies, etc. However there may have been some updates since we were there. It faces a large park and walking along there at night was quite dark, but we did it even in the rain one night without a problem. Guess it depends on what you are looking for and how much you are willing to spend. As others have noted, there are other very nice hotels in the Circular Quay and Center City areas, so you might want to see prices at non-Marriott hotels for comparison or booking. Good luck!

Hi,

I'm trying to book one of the Marriotts on Priceline...still working to get a good price thru them since I will be there 3-21 thru 3-24 during peak season but they keep coming back with a price of $175. (Btw, does anyone know if the price will include tax?) Ann

Hi Ann, No, the room tax is not included - it will be added to your bid rate. On my reservation at $151, the tax was $20 extra per night. That seems to be the going rate right now unless you are looking at a peak period. But come to think of it - aren't your dates for next year during Easter period. I guess that will demand more.

I finally got price line to accept my bid at $151.00 plus tax = $170. I've been trying for a week starting at 135, 140 and each time priceline comes back saying it was too low and/or add 22 or 25 to the price.

Reading the board...I took the advice of Coastaljen and Globaliser and removed the cookies and bidded again at $151 and it took. :)Thank you guys for the advice.

Also, Shamrock...thanks for reminding me that it was Easter during that time and I completely forgot about it. Unfortunately:(, I booked the cruise, air and hotel already...otherwise I would change the date to another time.

Does anyone know if the sights and stores in Sydney are closed on Easter Sunday?:confused:

Ann

That is an extreme comparison. Anything within viewing range of Sydney's NYE fireworks is at a heavy premium. Many motels with excellent fireworks views also have minimum stays for those dates, some up to 1 week minimum.

Oh, the views on NYE are absolutely sensational, and the rooms do sell out at that price. Normal rack rate for the Marriot is around $320AU per night ($275US), so $100 per night saving is a good buy. That is for 5 star in a central location in one of the worlds major cities - Same price as 1 star in NY City.

Cheers,

Hi Geoff......no complaints here.....we booked the room back in January so that we would have a guarantee of a room with a view of the Bridge....specifically for the fireworks. Family lives in Sydney so guess where they'll be coming on NYE.....:D

Your quotes are right on for the pre and post "special event" period...we'll be there for approx. 3 weeks......probably have to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to cover this holiday.....:eek:

Hi Geoff......no complaints here.....we booked the room back in January so that we would have a guarantee of a room with a view of the Bridge....specifically for the fireworks. Family lives in Sydney so guess where they'll be coming on NYE.....:D

Your quotes are right on for the pre and post "special event" period...we'll be there for approx. 3 weeks......probably have to take out a 2nd mortgage on the house to cover this holiday.....:eek:

Off course Gail, and like all top shelf holidays.....it will be worth every cent. :)

There are plenty of less expensive options for Sydney. With the Sydney Harbour Marriott you are paying for the level of service & location. Worth it if your budget allows.

We prefer serviced apartments. The 4 star ones are excellent, and the cooking facilities allow you to cook meals for yourself. The small pic in our signature was taken from the serviced apartments we are staying in for a couple of days before our cruise. We are shipping out on the 28th though and won't get to see the fireworks.

I hear so much of Priceline. Here is a couple of Australian ones for anyone that is interested.

www.wotif.com.au

www.needitnow.com.au

Cheers,

Hello everyone!

I have been following these boards for a long time although I seldom post as I am a bit shy! LOL

I folled Ralphies advice and booded the Marriott in Sydney for April 2008. I got it for 157.00. I feel that price is great for 5 star and what the hey, It's a trip of a lifetime for my sister and I. Also got a 5 star in Auckland for one night after the cruise. Then we are off to the Cook Islands for 5 days befor returning home. Can't wait for April!

Thanks everyone for all the great advice and networking.

Lori and Gail:)

......COOK!!! :eek: :D

(Ssshhh......don't tell Mr. Ozland about that option...;))

LOL, We mostly do this for breakfast anyway. By the time the 3 of us have paid for hotel breakfasts, it adds over $100 to a 3 day stay.

Loaf of bread, carton of eggs, few strips of bacon & a box of cereal later...

Most of these places also have a BBQ area, and we will usually pick up some fresh ingredients for one night of our stay. Based on our local rules, it would be Mr. Ozland's night to cook. :)

Cheers,

Just an FYI....after I booked the Marriott Harbour...all my friends going with me also booked on priceline for the same price.

They cancelled their reservations at other hotels since they were paying the same price for their "3" star hotel.

Isn't life wonderful and this board is sooo informative.

Thanks everybody!

Feeling Much Better!!!:D :D

Just got my bid for 4 nights in September for $151. :) :)

Now I need an extra night. I tried going back to PriceLine and clicked on where they ask if you want to extend your stay. Well that didn't work - they couldn't get it for me at the $151, nor did they offer it at $22/$25 extra. I then went in and bid $151 but still didn't get it and wasn't offerred any deal again.

Has anyone ever done this through the offer to extend their stay? I'm just wondering if it usualy works. I guess I'll just keep on bidding, going up $1 each day for a while.

I'm almost too embarrassed to admit this, but the reason I need the extra night is that I just discovered that our flight reservation is for a day earlier than I had thought it was:o !!!!, so we'll have an exrta day in Sydney. I'm very thankful of course that I discovered this now and didn't show up a day late for our flight which could very well have happened.

The extend-a-night possibility rarely works anywhere other than in the U.S. At least I've never heard of anyone being able to do so other than in London, IIRC.

Wait your 24 hours and maybe try for $156. May work. Otherwise, the 4 star Marriott Sydney (Hyde Park) is supposed to be very nice. But, it would mean changing hotels -- after your've had a chance to sleep after the loooong flight. We were able to get the Marriott Hyde Park for $135 per night on Priceline, for a return stay (Feb. 17-20 Marriott Sydney Harbour, 4 nights in Adelaide, Feb. 24 - 26 Marriott Sydney Hyde Park).

Well you KNOW I was leery of using Priceline..so went in this morning before I saw this...put in $135 knowing it would be too low..then came up no--of course--and wanted to know if I wanted to add $22 to it right then..so I did--ok--so I got it $7 more each night than you did (157)--but it took it..so I AM happy--shoot I was willing to go for the priceline one not bidding for 218...so for my first time at Priceline it didn't hurt..now to hunt down a hotel and area in Auckland..anyone have any ideas? Isn't as important tho want to be in the middle of the main areas to see things.

So looks like alot of us will be here--funny how they will take that lower price--does that just mean they are that over priced? You'll be there before us & maybe get an upgrade to a better room?

We have found that the Hyatt in Auckland has a great Sr. rate - and we liked the location! Check out trip advisor.com as they rate hotels by the people that have already stayed there - great reviews!

Congrats to everyone who found a room at the Marriott Sydney Harbour!

I am glad to see cleaning out cookies was explained. I was busy cruising or I would have answered. :-)

All I can say about NZ/Australia is "Are we there yet?" I am counting the days. :-)

Just thought I would add that I have been trying to book a room on and off for a month or so. I had tried 120, 140, 150 (the last try being about 3 weeks abo for $150).

Today I had a bid accepted for Nov 6 to Nov 10 for $156 for our pre-cruise Rhapsody of the Seas sailing.

Hope this helps someome. :)

Archived