Rhodes - best beach ?

Being a certified beach lover, I find that everyone has their personal ideas of what constitutes a good beach. Rhodes has many good beaches, some with facilities, some practically desserted, some close to Rhodes Town and some far from Rhodes Town. As a practical matter I tend to recommend that cruise passengers go to Faliraki Beach which is about 9 miles from town. It has nice golden sand, facilities for renting umbrellas or chairs, cafes, and for better or worse it will have plenty of other people. You can get there by grabbing a taxi or simply using the local buses that run along the road from Rhodes Town (check with the tourist folks as you leave the ship for route numbers and current cost). One advantage of this beach is that its very popular so you will have no problem getting a taxi or bus back to town. The beach is more than 2 miles long, but does have more than its share of commercial stuff! On one occassion they actually had a large contruction crane at one end of the beach which was used to haul willing customer high into the sky where they could bungee jump over the sea. I am not sure who had more fun...those doing the bungee jumping or those of us on the beach laughing as they screamed!

Hank

Being a certified beach lover, I find that everyone has their personal ideas of what constitutes a good beach. Rhodes has many good beaches, some with facilities, some practically desserted, some close to Rhodes Town and some far from Rhodes Town. As a practical matter I tend to recommend that cruise passengers go to Faliraki Beach which is about 9 miles from town. It has nice golden sand, facilities for renting umbrellas or chairs, cafes, and for better or worse it will have plenty of other people. You can get there by grabbing a taxi or simply using the local buses that run along the road from Rhodes Town (check with the tourist folks as you leave the ship for route numbers and current cost). One advantage of this beach is that its very popular so you will have no problem getting a taxi or bus back to town. The beach is more than 2 miles long, but does have more than its share of commercial stuff! On one occassion they actually had a large contruction crane at one end of the beach which was used to haul willing customer high into the sky where they could bungee jump over the sea. I am not sure who had more fun...those doing the bungee jumping or those of us on the beach laughing as they screamed!

Hank

Hank, I have seen you have made several post about the beaches at Rhodes. I will be there at the end of June and have several questions as we also want to do the beach trip. You say you can get a taxi at the port to take you to the beach. I am leading a party of 6 and do you remember any van type taxi's that will hold 6? As a back up I saw you made several post about taking a bus to Faliraki Beach. Do you remember where we have to go from the ship to find the bust station? Any help you can give will be helpful so that I can complete my travel pland to Rhodes.

Thanks for the advise Hank , it sounds like a safe bet. I was originally thinking that we should avoid Faliraki beach and head somewhere quiet , but then we need to be able to fine a taxi. Is there somewhere that has a little of both ?

I've been looking at Tsambika beach , anyone been ?

Rhodes Town and neighbouring Ixia have beaches which are a bit 'gritty' but the water is nice if a little rough (windy). Faliraki side of the Island is definately less windy and has golden sands.

Regarding taxis in Rhodes, this is not a major problem like in some ports such as Livorno. When in Rhodes, you will be docked right at the edge of Rhodes Town and within a very short walk you are away from the port and in the city (old or new town). You can find taxis in town just like in most places and the drivers are happy to take you to any beach. One reason I like Faliraki is because its a major beach where you can always find transportation back to town..wheras some of the more desserted beaches can present problems getting back to town unless you pre-arrange with a taxi to pick you up at a set time. As to the last comment about nudism, keep in mind that topless sun bathing is pretty much accepted on any Greek beach. I do understand that many of my fellow Americans have "hang-ups" with partial nudity, but this is an American problem not shared by most of Europe. Chances are that you will see few or no topless ladies, but its always a possibility at any beach.

Hank

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Kalithea Spa is just gorgeous. Loads of money has been spent over the last few years, renovating what was an old 'art-deco' spa. all finished now and is positively lovely, so picturesque. Do some research and you will see it was the set for a number of old movies. Now you will find amongst the old dome spa buildings, a beach with excellent snorkelling, a 'chic' bar serving drinks & food, and a couple of small shops selling 'essentials'. All to be found just a 10 minute taxi ride from Rhodes Town (en route to Faliraki). If you tell the taxi driver you want a return drive and set a time he will be there waiting for you.

Archived