Do the Ketchikan walking tour if time

cwestbrook

We were in Alaska last year but I was visiting this board to bring back memories!!

I had really done a lot of research on this board and it all paid off. The one thing I somehow missed was how nice the Ketchikan walking tour was. It takes you up a hill on a vernacular, a walk in a beautiful forest with great views, past historic buildings, etc.

If you've got time while there, it would be worth it and doesn't take all that long.

Check out this link. It recommends getting a map from the Anchor Inn, plus other notes of interest.

http://www.alaskatravelers.com/thingsto.htm

Any way to get a copy of the tour ahead of time. There are few places we know we want to go, but if we had the tour ahead of time, we could plan it so we are backtracking. Thanks!

This may be just excerpts of her tour - but here's what's in my notes - hope it helps ;) :

As a suggested route, Go down Mission to Creek Street, detour to WhalePark for a look at totems. Whale Park and on to Creek St. take the funicular up to the Westmark, ($1-$2 for tram) head out the back- beautiful totems and then back down the Married Man's trail. (Trail very pretty. It was a boardwalk of sorts that meandered all the way down to town.) On to Park through the city Park , site of the Totem Heritage Center and down Deermont- gives a great look at residential life On Park just turn right, if salmon is running there is also a fish ladder. Take to end at Stedman, turn right back to Creek St. (60-90 minutes)

Any way to get a copy of the tour ahead of time. There are few places we know we want to go, but if we had the tour ahead of time, we could plan it so we are backtracking. Thanks!

I called and asked them to send me a walking tour map. They only had the 2006 map at the time, but I didn't figure it would change any. I sent them a self-addressed, stamped envelope with 2 stamps on it and received it within 10 days of my mailing the request to them.

Who is "them" you ask...I will have to research my notes and hopefully be able to post this weekend with the answer. (I think I called the number on a tear-off card that was in the Ketchikan visitor pamphlet.)

I know this is only part of the answer, so I will try over the weekend to look through all my MANY notes, papers, etc.

You get the walking tour map from the visitor center

http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

I will speculate that it is my suggested walking tour. There isn't much elsewhere to go. :)

But the above description, leaves out after the Married Man's trail, to turn right on Park. Follows the creek loaded with salmon in season and the salmon ladder. THEN on the right is the Totem Heritage Museum and Hatchery. Next is the city park.

I will speculate that it is my suggested walking tour. There isn't much elsewhere to go. :)

But the above description, leaves out after the Married Man's trail, to turn right on Park. Follows the creek loaded with salmon in season and the salmon ladder. THEN on the right is the Totem Heritage Museum and Hatchery. Next is the city park.

Hi Budget Queen and others - thanks for this suggestion on the walking tour in Ketchikan. We are going to do the Lunberjack show and then had the Ketchikan by Horse Drawn Trolley scheduled but this walking tour sounds like we would see more. BQ, would you recommend the walking tour over the horse drawn trolley? Thanks as always.

Hi Budget Queen and others - thanks for this suggestion on the walking tour in Ketchikan. We are going to do the Lunberjack show and then had the Ketchikan by Horse Drawn Trolley scheduled but this walking tour sounds like we would see more. BQ, would you recommend the walking tour over the horse drawn trolley? Thanks as always.

Does the trolley, go to Saxman??? If it does and you have the interest, then the trolley is a good choice.

Also both Fodor's Alaska and Frommer's Alaska books have walking tours. Head to your library for a look.

tried to print the map at the ketchikan site mentioned above, but can't. downloaded the pdf version of the brochure, but it dosen't include a map. emailed the website but no reply yet. maybe we will just have to pick it up when we get there??

island princess sb 6/4/07:) :) :)

Archived